B.a.r. Brew Aug/sep

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay, so I FINALLY brewed this beer today. Seemed to hit all the numbers so happy with it at this stage. Currently no-chilling and the yeasties are getting it on in the flask so will pitch in the next day or so. Gonna be young for the 11th but I will have beer there!

I thought I was cutting it fine.

I'm finishing primary this week so mine will be quite young as well.

Hello All, Dan here (vic45's B.I.L.)

Have been working away on the Oatmeal, bottled it last week. When i picked up the bill i ended up with the irish ale yeast rather than 1968 as they had run out so will be interesting to compare! FG 1.013 after giving it one stir a week or so into the fermentation, as per usual i left it for a good while in there (4-5 weeks)

Also - just wanted to mention i'll be doing a G 'n' G run on sat morning (27th Aug) on way over to Buninyong this coming weekend so if anyone wants anything grabbed give me a shout and i'll pick it up

:icon_cheers:

Hi Lads,

I just recently moved from Sydney to Hamilton. I was right into the brewing/home brewing club scene over there and would like to keep it up.

Would you mind if I tagged along to the next swap (sounds like the 11th Sept) so I can meet who's brewing in the region? I can't promise any home brew will be ready by then, but I do have a few choice commercial beers that would be interesting to share around and sample.

It would also be great to be involved in any futures swaps if there is a mailing list or something like that going around - count me in.

Let me know!

Cheers,

Matt

Would you mind if I tagged along to the next swap (sounds like the 11th Sept) so I can meet who's brewing in the region?

It would also be great to be involved in any futures swaps if there is a mailing list or something like that going around - count me in.

Hi Matt,

Yeah no worries, I'll go out on a small limb and confirm that it will be held at my place. We don't really have a mailing list, anything that's going on is just posted here on AHB.

If all are in agreement on Sept 11 let me know via PM and I'll send you the address details. Of course many of you already know where I live. I might even sweep out the shed!

Cheers,
Herbo

I can confirm that in my mutterings with several others we are all assuming Sep 11th at your shed Herbo. Sweeping not necassary... ;)

Great to see Pommie_Granite here too (as well as the gathering interst of others)!!!

Dan - I did a double batch and fermented one with 1968, one with 1084 so I'm doubly interested to compare mine to others.

Getting pumped for another meetup. It's been too long.

Stout from primary is tasting tasty. Best get on an bottle it soon and give it two weeks to carb up and settle out.

I'll be there. Must remember to ask about the buninyong beer festival thingy that was spoken about at our very first get together...

I wish I'd put more of these in stubbies - even a pint is too heavy for me to smash through. It's probably great for a one or two pint night after a long days work, but I prefer a 5 pint quaffer. Whose idea was this?!?! I have two batches of this!!! I'm going to taste the 1084 version in a second which should be both drier and more bitter based on a few tweaks I made, because this standard recipe is a bit too sweet and heavy for my liking...

So how many bottles do we bring to the swap??? who is swapping??? I will bring 10 longnecks assuming that is enough to cover people in the actual swap (and maybe one or two extra for people who want to show up...)...

I've got ten as well.

Howabout we give them to everyone else and you and me have our own little ESB swap??? hahaha...

I used to love stouts, until I started brewing AG and could do better versions of the other styles that I liked. Now stout seems like a nice once-in-a-while beer...

My second AIPA attempt is coming along fantastically Billygoat - it won't be ready for the 11th but I'll make sure you get a taste when it's ready!!!

Anyway, ok, 10 bottles should be heaps (I'll bring a few of my wy1084 versions to swap as well so anyone interested can get an idea of the difference between 1968 and 1084 in a stout). ANd yes, I have prefered the 1084 version, nowhere near as sweet in the finish.

I have 9 litres in a keg that I have been pulling through the hand pump. After one pint I feel like I want another one, but half way through the second pint I have had enough. It doesn't have a sweet finish but I would rather an ESB. Looking forward to trying your AIPA.

This was the list last time it was put up (June 20)
So at this stage its 10 bottles.
If anyone else is a part of this, stick your name down so enough bottles are brought. Mine gets bottled Sunday, so its going to be VERY young. Funny how time gets away on you!

1. 2 bottles for tasting on the day
2.Wakkatoo
3.vic45
4. Lecterfan
5. billygoat
6. herbo
7. Beastie
8. Mesa99

This was the list last time it was put up (June 20)
So at this stage its 10 bottles.
If anyone else is a part of this, stick your name down so enough bottles are brought. Mine gets bottled Sunday, so its going to be VERY young. Funny how time gets away on you!

2.Wakkatoo
3.vic45
4. Lecterfan
5. billygoat
6. herbo
7. Beastie
8. Mesa99
9. pommie_granite

2.Wakkatoo
3.vic45
4. Lecterfan
5. billygoat
6. herbo
7. Beastie
8. Mesa99
9. pommie_granite
10. Vic 13

My name was down on the original, seems to have been removed ?????????

2.Wakkatoo
3.vic45
4. Lecterfan
5. billygoat
6. herbo
7. Beastie
8. Mesa99
9. pommie_granite
10. Vic 13

Bloody Hell, that's 99 bottles of Stout on the wall, 99 bottles of Stout :eek:

My name was down on the original, seems to have been removed ?????????

Sorry Vic13, that might of been me. :unsure:

Not too far away now. Looks as though Sunday will be chilly so put something warm on. I'll have a couple of gas patio heaters on the go.

Details:
When: Sunday the 11th Sept.

Where: In the garage. If the front double roller is closed (due to arctic conditions), step up onto the back veranda and come in the side door which will be open. If anyone looking to come along needs my address please PM me.

Time: From midday.

Bring: Some beer / Oatmeal Stout (not mandatory). I have beers on tap and a couple of CO2 gas sources so no need to bring gas (for the keggers).

Lunch: I'm cooking up a roast leg of lamb, so lamb rolls with gravy are on the menu. There will be a BBQ there as well so bring something else if you wish.

BYO: A fold up chair would be handy and maybe your favourite beer glass.

Looking forward to the Stoutfest. :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Yep, I'll be there. Should be a good day despite the weather forcast <_<

See you all Sunday

Lads,

I'm planning a small raffle for some beers so bring along a few dollars on the day.

Probably six pack for a win and a couple stubbies runner up. More if there is enough interest.

B)

Sounds great Herbo and Mesa.

I'll bring a 9l keg of a slapped together APA using the remains of flavour hops from Tony's BA, a couple of bottles of the Wy1007 not-quite-a-kolsch saaz experiment thing, a few litres of an esb or possibly an older rish red to draw through a hand pump....oh and the stout to swap.

Back