B.a.d Meeting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh come on what happened to the mugwort stout notung?

I hope this brew goes well. I am really excited about it. Hops can be a 'downer' whereas the herbs/spices in this brew will inspire a feeling of glee in those who drink. Don't worry! If it goes to plan, this will be my swap stout. Failing that, I am doing a slightly simpler clone of Coopers Extra Stout. I think that is my favourite commercially-produced stout from Australia.

Notung - you get lost last thursday? Saw you leaning on the car just on the outskirts of Daylesford in the middle of the afternoon. By the time I realised I was well past and had a car full of family, hence why I didn't stop.

Ha - there you go! Must have looked dazed and confused after driving up & down the dizzying hills in Blackwood. I'd been out to the garden of St Urth and was taking a breather. I didn't see anyone suspicious but will have to be more circumspect next time. <_<

A few pics from the weekend. Been slack and have only just taken them off the camera <_<

IMG_6475.JPG IMG_6476.JPG
IMG_6478.JPG IMG_6480.JPG
IMG_6481.JPG IMG_6472.JPG

edit - My sweet stout went into the cube a couple of days ago - looking forward to this one. I'm down a fermenter so will get another one tomorrow and put the stout in then. The way its looking, I'll bottle enough for our mini-swap and propbably keg the rest.

Participants in the fun stout brew-off:
1. notung - ?
2. Wakkatoo - Sweet Stout. Never done a stout before so it will be a first for everyone!
3. Kleiny - Oatmeal stout with a twist. (Licorice or vanilla bean or both)
4. Gava - oatmeal stout - will attempt it
5.Brenthor - No idea

No idea what I am doing to the weekend.

just ordered my stout gear.. might see if I can brew it this sunday.. should be interesting.

New Logo

BADlogo.jpg

If you want to make something up go ahead and post it for us all to see.

Also Wakka how are we going with club night? I would like to discuss a brewday so we can brew a double batch (2kegs) for the night, we need style and recipe ideas. Club contributions towards the brew and discuss who's going to attend.

So maybe put your ideas up guys

Kleiny

Also Wakka how are we going with club night? I would like to discuss a brewday so we can brew a double batch (2kegs) for the night, we need style and recipe ideas. Club contributions towards the brew and discuss who's going to attend.

So maybe put your ideas up guys

Kleiny

Responded here

I brewed my Mugwort Anti-imperial Stout on Sunday and hit the volumes and gravity I was going for. Mugwort imparts a very different, more subtle type of bitterness to hops and there is a slipperiness from the licorice root. I am keen to taste how this beer turns out, hopefully drinkable. I am just worried that after 24 hours there seems to have been no fermenter activity. I pitched 1.2L of Wyeast #1318 yeast cake, which was admittedly tired after the barley wine trauma. I don't have an aerating stone or anything. I hope I don't need to pitch a crappy coopers yeast sachet...!

I brewed my Mugwort Anti-imperial Stout on Sunday and hit the volumes and gravity I was going for. Mugwort imparts a very different, more subtle type of bitterness to hops and there is a slipperiness from the licorice root. I am keen to taste how this beer turns out, hopefully drinkable. I am just worried that after 24 hours there seems to have been no fermenter activity. I pitched 1.2L of Wyeast #1318 yeast cake, which was admittedly tired after the barley wine trauma. I don't have an aerating stone or anything. I hope I don't need to pitch a crappy coopers yeast sachet...!

I would get some more yeast ready i got no movement out of that yeast bottle you gave me from the barley wine.

Hope it fires

Kleiny

my order from craftbrewer had a bit of a mix up so they've sent it today and I hope I can do the brew maybe monday..

I would get some more yeast ready i got no movement out of that yeast bottle you gave me from the barley wine.

Hope it fires

Me too! I've checked the gravity and it has shifted from 1.070 to 1.063. I just hope that is from fermentation, not just the result of pitching 1.2L of dead yeast bodies! (No visible signs of krausen.) I will begin culturing up some less dead #1318 yeast.

Cummins has done the hard work

Winter Meeting: Holgates Woodend, Saturday the 5th of June 2010

Bar opens at 1200 What time does everybody think?, Bring your stouts and any other beers you want to share, Ian the brewer is prepared to have a taste and give a tour. :icon_cheers:

Organize your transport and be ready to have some nice beer and a good feed if you want.

Kleiny

I will Pm this info out when i get a chance
Also if all members could PM me with there email address or send it to [email protected] so i can set up an email list and we can discuss some info on anhc.

1. notung - ?
2. Wakkatoo - Sweet Stout. Never done a stout before so it will be a first for everyone!
5.Brenthor - No idea
6. Big78sam - irish dry stout

If there's room for another I'm in.

I'm new to this AG caper so be kind. Hopefully if I can put a brew down on the weekend it will have time to condition sufficiently by early June.

EDIT: If there are any pre-requisite for this as I'm a noob and have no affiliation with the BAD HBC let me know.

1. notung - ?
5.Brenthor - No idea
6. Big78sam - irish dry stout

If there's room for another I'm in.

I'm new to this AG caper so be kind. Hopefully if I can put a brew down on the weekend it will have time to condition sufficiently by early June.

EDIT: If there are any pre-requisite for this as I'm a noob and have no affiliation with the BAD HBC let me know.

Happy to have you along, no prereq and we already have one member from Sunbury.

Hope to see you at the winter meeting where the tasting and swapping will happen

Kleiny

Winter Meeting: Holgates Woodend, Saturday the 5th of June 2010

ohhh shite!

Sorry fella's, I'm at a damn work conference that day (yeah I know, saturday and all!!). Can't pull out of it either. Hmmm, will have to think about how, who and where I get these swap beers.

bugger!

Sat 5 June sounds fine. How about 12:30pm? I'll plan on having lunch too!

just put the oatmeal stout in the fermenter, cheers to notung for the rice hulls.

everything went pretty for the brew day my new mash tun is tops didn't loose any temp over a 1 1/2 mash..

Latest posts

Back