B.a.d Meeting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Participants in the fun stout brew-off:
1. notung - ?
2. Wakkatoo - Sweet Stout. Never done a stout before so it will be a first for everyone!
3. Kleiny - Oatmeal stout with a twist. (Licorice or vanilla bean or both)
4. Gava - oatmeal stout - will attempt it
5.Brenthor - No idea
6. Big78sam - irish dry stout

I know there is still a couple of spots vacant but can we cap it at 8? Just bottled my sweet stout tonight and allowed for that- the rest went in a keg.

I'm a bit disappointed with the nottingham yeast I used - just didn't seem to do its job properly. Tastes ok out of the fermenter, will have to see how it carbs up in the keg to get a better idea

I'm a bit disappointed with the nottingham yeast I used - just didn't seem to do its job properly. Tastes ok out of the fermenter, will have to see how it carbs up in the keg to get a better idea

Same with me but with Wyeast 1187 - Ringwood. It stalled at 1015. I tried everything: rousing, warming up, repitching a coopers sachet I had lying around. In the end I brewed another last weekend and pitched with Nottingham. I'll bottle the 1187 this weekend and the Nottingham next weekend. They'll both have a month to carb up and I'll go with the better one...

Hi all, I cooked up some blackstrap molasses & Indian sarsaparilla tonight and used it to bulk prime my stout. I'm glad this will have at least a month to bottle condition. It could need longer but let's wait and see! I've bottled 8 longnecks but I wonder if we'll have two more entries?

Participants in the fun stout brew-off:
1. notung - Mugwort Anti-Imperial Stout 8.9%
2. Wakkatoo - Sweet Stout. Never done a stout before so it will be a first for everyone!
3. Kleiny - Oatmeal stout with a twist. (Licorice or vanilla bean or both)
4. Gava - oatmeal stout - will attempt it
5.Brenthor - No idea
6. Big78sam - irish dry stout

stout_ingreds1.JPG
Mugwort, licorice & roasted chicory (for the kettle & NC cube)

stout_ingreds2.JPG
Chamomile, orange peel & lemon grass (added with honey to primary)

Same with me but with Wyeast 1187 - Ringwood. It stalled at 1015. I tried everything: rousing, warming up, repitching a coopers sachet I had lying around. In the end I brewed another last weekend and pitched with Nottingham. I'll bottle the 1187 this weekend and the Nottingham next weekend. They'll both have a month to carb up and I'll go with the better one...

I just bottled my second stout and realised about 1 minute after I added the priming sugar that I only had a 15 litre batch but bulk primed with sugar calculated for a 23 litre batch. Such an idiot! I'm hoping both of these won't be badly overcarbonated. Oh well, there's no time to get another brewed, fermented and conditioned so I'll just have to see how they turn out...

Notung... That looks brilliant!

Mine are sitting in the cupboard happliy carbing up. The rest I have in the keg and as a first effort, I was happy with the result when I tried a "few" last night ;)

There is already a thread for hop swap so I though I'd just offer a yeast swap here. I have Wyeast 1187 - ringwood and 1272 - american ale II I'm happy to offer to anyone looking for these. Let me know if you're interested and I'll bring them along on the day.

Slants? if so I'd be interested in teh 1272 American Ale..

I have slants also but I can't remember what i've got off teh top of my head..

Not a slant. Just stubbies filled with 250ml or so of a starter I split into several bottles. They do the job for me, I just step them to the required volume and pitch...

Cummins has done the hard work

Winter Meeting: Holgates Woodend, Saturday the 5th of June 2010 Start 1200

I have been in contact with Ian and he is looking forward to it, Ian has suggested the swap and some tasting (i think Ian is looking forward to tasting some outside beers from brewers) take place in the brewery along with a good tour and look around.

So make your way there just plan on getting home without your car (no drink driving)

Im going to try the train i think and with the BJCP exam the next day i might take it a bit easier.

You dont want to miss this opportunity to tour a good brewery and chat with a pro brewer B)

Kleiny

I'll be on the train to get there then being driven home by some friends in Woodend who are visiting me. Works out very nicely. I'm looking forward to the meeting! Should we bring an extra stout bottle for tastings or just the swap?

I can bring some 3711 French Saison (adorable yeast) if anyone would like some.

I tried mine last night and am quite happy with both of them. Now it's just a matter of choosing which to bring...

So just to check, did anyone want a stubby of an 1187 or 1272 starter?

So at this stage there's 6 of us so it's 6 longnecks or the equivalent in stubbies (5 for the swap and one for tasting).

I tried mine and its not carbed at all... Will have another look tonight and see whats going on..

Cummins has done the hard work

Winter Meeting: Holgates Woodend, Saturday the 5th of June 2010 Start 1200

I have been in contact with Ian and he is looking forward to it, Ian has suggested the swap and some tasting (i think Ian is looking forward to tasting some outside beers from brewers) take place in the brewery along with a good tour and look around.

So make your way there just plan on getting home without your car (no drink driving)

Im going to try the train i think and with the BJCP exam the next day i might take it a bit easier.

You dont want to miss this opportunity to tour a good brewery and chat with a pro brewer B)

Kleiny

Can't get to this outing due to other commitments.

Hope you have a great day.

Cheers

Simon

Saturday

Im heading down ro woodend by Train

Leaveing:
Bendigo1138, KFlat1142,Castlemaine1159 arrive at Woodend 1226

Times for return
1429, 1618, 1712

Anybody else catching a train on the bendigo line?

Catch u there

Kleiny

Hi all,

I have mentioned it before but I'll put it up again - I won't be there on Saturday. Please include me in the swap and mine will make it to you next time we get together. If somebody is happy to collect mine and hold on to it for me, I'd appreciate it.
Have fun - wish I was going but have to attend this conference in Melbs :(

Hi all,

I have mentioned it before but I'll put it up again - I won't be there on Saturday. Please include me in the swap and mine will make it to you next time we get together. If somebody is happy to collect mine and hold on to it for me, I'd appreciate it.
Have fun - wish I was going but have to attend this conference in Melbs :(

No probs wakka, i will get yours and keep until the next meeting

Kleiny

tried mine lastnight and its still crapola.. sorry guys..

how many stouts are we required to bring?

Looks like 5 not including yourself so 6 should definitely cover it

+ Ian (the brewer) might want to try one.

Kleiny

Well people, tomorrow should be fun! I tried a bottle of what I am calling The Smoking Jacket tonight and liked the molasses/sarsaparilla notes. There may be a bit of brett in it - you can tell me. Overall it tastes rather unlike normal beer. I wonder if I could make a mega-oxidised version with liquid sherry yeast and age on oak for a year or so...?

Kleiny I'll get on the train at 11:59 (front carriage) so should catch you on there.

Big Sam I'd happily take one of those starters from you (don't really mind which because both are new to me). I'll bag up my 3711 with an icepack for you.

I haven't managed to get to the hop rhizomes yet - too busy!

Latest posts

Back