Australian Lost Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's Ballarat Bertie:

41607_31913558364_7845900_n.jpg

He even has his own Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ballarat-Bertie/31913558364
Flickr is a good source for pics of labels,cans,posters,etc too :icon_cheers:

302691399_0cb2eb2d83.jpg

4991295428_f015fe1b19.jpg

I remember my OM drinking Coopers Gold Crown, living in Adelaide you drank West End, Southwark or Coopers.

He never did know I used to nick a bottle out of the fridge now and then :lol:

Batz

I didn't know you couldn't still get it. I seem to remember various pubs in NSW serving Black (tooheys old) and/or Brown (hunter old) - they were referred to by their colour.
Hunter old from memory was not as dark as tooheys but had more body and finished slightly sweeter - probably closer to a Newcastle brown ale.

Cheers, Adam

Brown was made by Tooths.

Black was made in Grafton. For some reason I thought it was also made somewhere in the Hunter too. (could be wrong 'bout that & maybe it was brown like you say)

Time for some :icon_cheers:

Isn't that the music they use for VB just a few years ago? "matter of fact I got it now" seems to ring a bell.
NO NO it was Tooheys, " I feel like a Tooheys, I feel like a Tooheys or 2".

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown was made by Tooths.

Black was made in Grafton. For some reason I thought it was also made somewhere in the Hunter too. (could be wrong 'bout that & maybe it was brown like you say)
In 1971 Tooheys opened a new brewery in Cardiff,Newcastle.Called the Hunter Brewery. Maybe what you're thinking of?

In 1971 Tooheys opened a new brewery in Cardiff,Newcastle.Called the Hunter Brewery. Maybe what you're thinking of?

And it was called Tooheys Hunter Old . The Tooheys Old sold now is a very poor impersonation of
Hunter Old. I used to have friends bring back cartons of it when they went to the vinevards to buy wine.

Regards

Graeme

Doing some important work today, and stumbled across this ripper website

http://www.vblcs.com/

Now if only some of these labels/beers could be raised from the dead!

I remember my OM drinking Coopers Gold Crown, living in Adelaide you drank West End, Southwark or Coopers.

He never did know I used to nick a bottle out of the fridge now and then :lol:

Batz

When I was 14 or 15 years old my mates and I discovered the stash of an alco, it was a single garage unit half full of beer, although I was allowed the odd wine or beer back then, we took advantage of the poor bugger and knock off his beer over that summer at a couple of bottles at a time. It was the Pilsner in the silver label that everyone called silver bullets at the time, Reaches, I think. And its not that old I guess.

I still feel bad about it today but we did have some fun.

gregs.

When I was 14 or 15 years old my mates and I discovered the stash of an alco, it was a single garage unit half full of beer, although I was allowed the odd wine or beer back then, we took advantage of the poor bugger and knock off his beer over that summer at a couple of bottles at a time. It was the Pilsner in the silver label that everyone called silver bullets at the time, Reaches, I think. And its not that old I guess.

gregs.
I've been lookin' for you a long time, young fella :lol: You owe me a few :drinks: thumbnail.aspx.jpg

When I was 14 or 15 years old my mates and I discovered the stash of an alco, it was a single garage unit half full of beer, although I was allowed the odd wine or beer back then, we took advantage of the poor bugger and knock off his beer over that summer at a couple of bottles at a time. It was the Pilsner in the silver label that everyone called silver bullets at the time, Reaches, I think. And it's not that old I guess.

gregs.

You robbed a hobo?

You remember the first infection you ever had? That was him getting revenge.

Years ago I was renovating an old weatherboard house. Under the lino were some old newspapers from the twenties. There were classified ads that had a listing called "breweries". Every major regional centre had its own brewery listed, because transport was too expensive in those days - cheaper to brew it where the people were than transport it around the state. I think it was after ww2 that the consolidation of breweries really got under way.

I remember in the 60s and 70s each state still had their own brands - some bottle shops would "import" fosters and VB from victoria, people wanted to taste exotic interstate brews. It was only in the 80s that the quality of aussie mainstream beer really hit rock bottom, hence the popularity of home brew and boutique breweries.

Greg

I bet you stole the bricks from underneath that too.

Well it was pretty bloody shinny. This guy also lived right on the beach in the Illawarra area south of Sydney. I do feel bad about it, but shit I was a kid.

And I was kidding.

Hey I know you were kidding, but when I think back, I know it was the wrong thing to do. Can you believe at 51 years old I am still in contact with the mate who helped me and he loves the beer we brew in Bundy.

gregs.

Latest posts

Back