Australian Lost Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the older in-laws always says Richmond Bitter, Richmond Lager and Ballarat Bitter were 10 times better than anything on the market today.

My father still raves about a beer called Richmond Tiger, best beer he's ever tasted. I've never heard a mention of it anywhere else, I wonder if it is associated with the Ricmond Beers you mention.

My old man always rambles on about Hunter Old. How it use to be absolutely amazing...like Tooheys Old, but way better...rah rah rah...
Continually get requests from him to brew it, but I haven't the slightest clue where to begin...Tooheys Old clone!?

My old man always rambles on about Hunter Old. How it use to be absolutely amazing...like Tooheys Old, but way better...rah rah rah...
Continually get requests from him to brew it, but I haven't the slightest clue where to begin...Tooheys Old clone!?

probably just a tooheys old clone, without the "modern commercial beer"-style ingredients list (i.e. use real hops and no sugar)

Some long gone QLD'ers

Cairns_Draught.jpg

Macs_Rocky.jpg

My brother lived in Balllarat, he used to talk about Ballarat Bertie ???? Victorians, anyone??

Screwy

I recall the Richmond beers being a CUB product.
Bertie from Ballarat? someone will google up sumthin.

edit> i miss the tough long necks.

Does anyone have any high res scans of old beer posters like that one screwtop posted?

My brother lived in Balllarat, he used to talk about Ballarat Bertie ???? Victorians, anyone??

Screwy

Sounds a bit like:

"... Burlington Bertie, i'm short fat and dirty,
My college portrays my high class! (High class!)
I walk down the Strand with my cock in my hand and I wave it at kings as I pass!"

Back OT ...

Anyone remember any of these?

Brissy_Bitter.jpg

Emerald_Invalid_Stout.jpg

SparklingXXX.jpg

Gooley__s_Stout.jpg

Castlemaine_Lager.jpg

Time for some :icon_cheers:

That was how it was :lol: Arm out the window of the EJ indicating a right turn, leaves the window down and the car unlocked to go into the bottlo (no drivethroughs) and the nice newly packaged six packs were kept in a fridge without glass doors :lol:

I've got a can of Bertie here if you want it Screwy, done as a special batch a few years ago

Thanks, but hang onto it Perry, will have a squiz sometime.

Screwy

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone from Adelaide remember Kent Town Ale? I remember it being a good alternative to Coopers about 20 years ago

Time for some :icon_cheers:

Where do find this stuff BG? That was great, the "i got it now" tune. Excellent :icon_cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone from Adelaide remember Kent Town Ale? I remember it being a good alternative to Coopers about 20 years ago

The best part of Adelaide 25 years ago,, were the early openers...... the beer label didnt matter to us non priveleged Victorians who didnt know of such thing.

I didn't know you couldn't still get it. I seem to remember various pubs in NSW serving Black (tooheys old) and/or Brown (hunter old) - they were referred to by their colour.
Hunter old from memory was not as dark as tooheys but had more body and finished slightly sweeter - probably closer to a Newcastle brown ale.

Cheers, Adam

A little off topic but to do with australian beer history heres an article from brewnews which has a complete list of Australian brewery workers who have lost their lives on the job, good read. A few breweries here that even bribie would not remember.

Back