Australian IPA

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea what I'm taking about, being a brewing noob and all, but if you're more trying to create a style rather than define what already exists I found the idea of lagering an IPA (developed from an Australian Pale?) interesting in regards to our history and something that wouldn't be a blatant copy of AIPA/EIPA but with Australian hops.

Again, I'd like to reiterate my lack of knowledge. If this post is retarded and makes no sense please just ignore it haha.

I was thinking about this a while back when I saw people calling American IPAs with Australian hops as Australian IPAs and came up with a recipe of something more distinctively Australian. I thought something like a higher gravity Aussie lager would be a good place to start. I added the biscuit just because I like it in a hoppy beer. It's got fairly good dose of sugar to help it dry out and I was thinking of a warm ferment with a lager yeast would keep it fairly authentically Australian. For hops I mostly went with new Australian ones although I don't think a NZ hop would go astray in there. The hopping and IBUs are relatively low but that's to take the dry finish into account, it should be plenty bitter enough. I haven't managed to brew it yet but it's on the list.

Might Be (Australian IPA)
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.007
IBU: 39
EBC: 10
ABV: 5.9%

86% NFH Pale malt
4% NFH Crackerjack biscuit malt
10% Table sugar

20 IBU POR @ 60 minutes
19 IBU Galaxy @ 0 minutes
30g Galaxy @ dry hop
30g Summer @ dry hop

WY2112 or 2042 - ferment at 14-15C and then lager for 10 days

I find this kind of silly… Australian IPA is not yet a style, right? Shouldn't the guidelines be to describe what sort of IPA is being made in Australia that sets us apart from the rest of the world? As opposed to trying to make a style…

I doubt porter came about because someone was actively trying to make a new BJCP category... correct me if I'm wrong.

And with Australia's current leaning towards new-world IPA's, I would have thought American yeast would be more prevalent that English yeasts, or are we going with English because of some tie in we have with the Commonwealth?

The fact that we have 1 x Australian yeast to chose from is a little sad.

Ah beer style guidelines, the religion of brewing!!!. Funny how they are such a new thing in relation to beer production, but can cause serious debate among brewers.

bradsbrew said:
Would like to here peoples ideas and suggestions on what an Australian IPA should be. I have often thought of doing one but without having something to aim for I havnt bothered.

Although I have linked to the comp that ESB are running, I am more asking for personal opinions on what an Aussie IPA is.

Spiesy said:
I find this kind of silly… Australian IPA is not yet a style, right? Shouldn't the guidelines be to describe what sort of IPA is being made in Australia that sets us apart from the rest of the world? As opposed to trying to make a style…

I doubt porter came about because someone was actively trying to make a new BJCP category... correct me if I'm wrong.

And with Australia's current leaning towards new-world IPA's, I would have thought American yeast would be more prevalent that English yeasts, or are we going with English because of some tie in we have with the Commonwealth?

The fact that we have 1 x Australian yeast to chose from is a little sad.
Spiesy, we're just answering the OP's question, not creating a style guide. What bradsbrew wanted was everyone's opinion on what an Australian IPA might look like. I think it's fun imagining how to create something like that given the available ingredients and our brewing history.

mje1980 said:
Ah beer style guidelines, the religion of brewing!!!. Funny how they are such a new thing in relation to beer production, but can cause serious debate among brewers.
No. The it's the religion of brewing competitions !
I'd probably be comfortable with a religion that had guidelines as opposed to rules and laws.

For an Oz IPA I would suggest wheat is all important as is Australian yeast, ie Coopers (WLP 009).
Historically, before refrigeration, before the American Fosters brothers, before all the marketing hype, most aussie ales were fairly dark. Therefore I would lean towards a brown ale that contains wheat (perhaps crystal wheat and/or midnight/chocolate/etc wheat, too). Mild to no late hop aroma/flavour, allowing the malt to shine - like an English IPA but bolder by comparison (like the Aussie cricket team compared to the English team - Ashes IPA, anyone?)

Bobby Smith said:
Just make a 1.065 60IBU version of Coopers PA. With cluster.
Cluster is a us hop though innit?
Tastes good with fresh por in a coopers knockoff.

Great topic!

I like the idea of the crossed lager/IPA idea. I'm pretty sure the first brewer in Australia was James Squire(not the first beer in Australia which came on the first fleet), he was a convict on the first fleet and sold it to officers etc. This was primarily homebrewed ales, brewed using English malts and hops. So using that, maybe a cross bred lager/IPA with a bit of colour to represent the english ale first brewed in Australia.

I know this is steering away of what I think an OZIPA is, and making a style, but I like the idea of doing that as well.. haha

DU99 said:
is morgans yeast australian
Is White Labs Australian? Whomever packages the yeast is of less importance than the origin of the yeast

If you look at actual Australian IPA's (which the style should be based on): Hop Hog, LC IPA, Hawthorn IPA - they are all pretty much american IPAs with american yeast and hops.

Given that there are no common commercial 'Australian IPA's with coopers yeast and only Australian hops, this is essentially a made-up style that you can interpret how you want.

SimoB said:
Great topic!

I like the idea of the crossed lager/IPA idea. I'm pretty sure the first brewer in Australia was James Squire(not the first beer in Australia which came on the first fleet), he was a convict on the first fleet and sold it to officers etc. This was primarily homebrewed ales, brewed using English malts and hops. So using that, maybe a cross bred lager/IPA with a bit of colour to represent the english ale first brewed in Australia.

I know this is steering away of what I think an OZIPA is, and making a style, but I like the idea of doing that as well.. haha
John Boston opened the first brewery, James Squire is accredited with cultivating the first hops. Lion Nathan have taken slight poetic license with the Squire history...

you're mistaking commercial brewery. I said Homebrewed - James Squire is the first known brewer in Australia.

sorry to take it off topic

Lets stop ******* around, the idea of an Aussie IPA is as wankerish as American IPA....IPA is a beer style developed during a historical period, brewed for a purpose by...you guessed it, the English.
America never required or brewed such a beer, neither did Australia....
Its about time they were called what they are.
AIPA should be called Double APA or Strong APA, because thats what it is.
So lets get brewing some Double Aussie Pale Ales with ABV in 6-7% range, with 60-70 IBU.....and forget this nonsense hence forth.

Because by that rationale American Pale Ale is a way more legitimate style than American IPA... ;)

timmi9191 said:
Must use aus hops, must use aus malts, must use cooper yeast.. Sounds more like rules than defining a style.. Does it matter how the brewer achieved the end result as long it fits the defined style??
It's a new thing we are introducing called the Ozheitsgebot

Spiesy said:
I know that!
DU99 posted "is Morgans Australian?" before he edited it. I was being slightly facetious...
White Labs is American and packages an Australian yeast, WLP-009 (Coopers). The point being it is the only recognised truly Australian strain. Just because Morgans and Mauribrew are Australian companies doesn't mean the yeast they package are Australian strains...

yum beer said:
Lets stop ******* around, the idea of an Aussie IPA is as wankerish as American IPA....IPA is a beer style developed during a historical period, brewed for a purpose by...you guessed it, the English.
America never required or brewed such a beer, neither did Australia....
Its about time they were called what they are.
AIPA should be called Double APA or Strong APA, because thats what it is.
So lets get brewing some Double Aussie Pale Ales with ABV in 6-7% range, with 60-70 IBU.....and forget this nonsense hence forth.
Are you suggesting styles cannot evolve? Many outside-of-the-box beers are being produced daily in every corner of the world. When one of these strange brews becomes popular enough for other breweries to make a version and homebrewers begin tinkering with them and they are spoken and written about enough, they will become a "style" with guidelines for entering competitions as set out by the BJCP or, here in Australia, the AABC. These guidelines are really all about categorising styles of beer to make judging and entering competitions easier.
We can all recognise pasta as traditional Italian cookery, however 500 years ago they didn't have the ingredients we take to be staples for Italian food.
"Tradition" is the catchcry of those unwilling to evolve

fergthebrewer said:
Aussie hops....
here is a wiki list...
Ella
Feux-Coeur Francais
Pride of Ringwood
Rakau
Sticklebract
Summer
Super Pride
Topaz
Vic Secret

Yeast..well i reckon coopers is a bit on the avg side..so i'd go us-05 ...clean
And i'd hazard a guess we should be using Aussie malt...but i reckon Marris lol...and some wheat and of course good old joe white crystal
Cheers
Ferg
Wiki needs some updating...Rakau and Sticklebract are both NZ hops...and where is Galaxy on that list?

Latest posts

Back