Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's already been said, but good on the comp organisers & judges/stewards that made the event happen.

Also, a big congrats to Adam Beauchamp on an emphatic win. May you be able to make the most of the many opportunities that will present themselves over the next 12 months.

On a minor side-note, does anyone know how the runner-up Champion Brewer was determined? Not so sure the AABC guidelines were followed with this one.... :ph34r:

All Good Les.
Happy to help.
Your dedication is to be admired.
What Rennies can't fix is probably going to be a cardiac arrest anyway, right?

Harry.

Any news about score sheets? Are they being sent by snail mail this year or by email?

Also what are the prizes? Not expecting anything myself as I only got a minor gong, but can't find any info on the main site.

mikk said:
On a minor side-note, does anyone know how the runner-up Champion Brewer was determined? Not so sure the AABC guidelines were followed with this one.... :ph34r:
Really? Looking at the placings, there were two brewers that got three medals. Barry Cranston got a 1st and two 3rds, and Brad Brown got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Rules state:

D10. Champion Brewer and Champion State.
The sum of category placing points is to be used for deciding Champion Brewer and Champion State. Category placing points are 3 points for first place, 2 points for second place, and 1 point for third place.

Then there's a bunch on tie breaking, but that doesn't seem relevant here.

I wasn't involved with the score calculations, but just don't see where you're coming from?

Mr. No-Tip said:
Really? Looking at the placings, there were two brewers that got three medals. Barry Cranston got a 1st and two 3rds, and Brad Brown got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Rules state:

D10. Champion Brewer and Champion State.
The sum of category placing points is to be used for deciding Champion Brewer and Champion State. Category placing points are 3 points for first place, 2 points for second place, and 1 point for third place.

Then there's a bunch on tie breaking, but that doesn't seem relevant here.

I wasn't involved with the score calculations, but just don't see where you're coming from?

Brad Bown & Michael Wallace (me) each have a total of 6 points, Barry received 5 pts (3 pts for 1st, 2 pts for 2nd, 1 pt for 3rd). So as we have a tie by placing points, the individual judging scores come into play.
The AABC rules state that in the event of a tie in points, then the sum of the placing points multiplied by the judging points will determine the highest placing entrant.
eg-
Brad Bown's 3 beers scored- 1st 104 pts, 2nd 120 pts, 3rd 116 pts. His total score is (3x104)+(2x120)+(1x116)= 668 pts

Michael Wallace's 2 beers scored 1st 118.5 pts, 1st 120 pts. His total score is (3x118.5)+(3x120)=715.5 pts

Rules are here: www.aabc.org.au/docs/AABC_AimsRulesInformationWeb_20090319.pdf

I was just hoping that someone involved in the comp might tell me how the placings were determined? I don't expect anything regarding the final results to be changed, but it seems to me at first glance that the results aren't correct. Happy to be corrected though. No biggie either way.

Two firsts are the same points as a first, a second and a third

I'm with you know. I must admit I was just looking at the raw medal numbers. I'll draw Charlie's attention to this thread and get him to touch base with you.

Michael,

My apologies, you're correct - my adding up didn't, well, add up. I'll have the website updated to reflect this.

On a side note - with regards to the score sheets, everyone should have them by the end of the weekend. My plan was to scan them in and email them out, with the option of having the physical copies also mailed, but I seriously under estimated the effort required to do the scanning and the amount of free time I've had this week. I've got around 15 brewers left to scan, sadly one of them is Adam so that will take 30 minutes on its own ; )

cheers

Charlie

Wow, I've done some bulk scanning exercises in the past as well, for some reason those scanning bars haven't speeded up at all over the last 20 years, I feel your pain :lol:

Looking forward.

you need a photocopier like we have at work, it will scan and email :)

Have all of the scoresheets been emailed out now?

I have not received anything yet but do know of others who have. Anyone else not received their scoresheets?

Website not updated for correction in runner-up Champion Brewer either.

Hi All,

Medals for 1st, 2nd & 3rd should be sent out in the coming week.

Cheers,
Billy

Apologies for not updating the website yet - I've been off work since a couple of days after the AABC and not had access to where I stored the results doc. Back on deck tomorrow so will have sorted by tomorrow night.

But the results were all emailed out a week ago, so if anyone hasn't received their results electronically, please send me a PM with their email address (and name if its not obvious from your username)

cheers

Charlie

[SIZE=10pt]Brewers,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]In 2014 the Australian Amateur Brewing Championships (AABC) is being held in Canberra immediately prior to the Australian National Homebrewing Conference (ANHC).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]With tickets now on sale for the ANHC, I have had several inquiries from Judges and Stewards wanting to be involved, whilst visiting for the conference.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]We want to complete the judging of all categories in 1 morning session, this will allow participants to enjoy the ANHC activities planned for the afternoon.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]So if you have the experience, and are keen to help out, we would love to see you here. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The 2014, AABC details at this time are: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Date: 16/10/2014[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Time: 9.00am for a 9:30am start[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Location: BentSpoke Brewing Co, 38 Mort Street, Braddon, ACT.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Please register you interest by emailing me at: mailto:[email protected] mailto:[email protected]mailto:[email protected] and I will contact you closer to the date and provide you with further details.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Thanks in advance for your support[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Lawfo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Canberra Brewers - Competition Secretary [/SIZE]

Congratulations to those brewers who have placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd in each category of their state competition, your entries have qualified for the Nationals!

What you need to do now is to ensure you entry is shipped and received at BentSpoke Brewing Co, by COB, 3 October 2014 - Just letting you know now that late arrivals won't be accepted, this is the Nat's and the deadline (emphasis on DEADLINE) is 3 October for all states & territories, so make sure it arrives on or before this date.

You're entrie/s must comply with the AABC rules listed on the entry form at:

http://www.aabc.org.au/docs/Entry%20Form%20AABC2014.pdf.

If you have any questions, please forward them to me through the contact details on the entry form and not on this thread.

Brew Strong!
Lawfo

God I am lazy! Must Express Post this tomorrow!!!!

Suggestions on packing beer for Aus Post??

syl said:
God I am lazy! Must Express Post this tomorrow!!!!

Suggestions on packing beer for Aus Post??
I grabbed an empty large envelope box from work, wrapped my two pint bottles separately in bubble wrap. Then filled it with flow pack till nothing could move around. Cost 11.95 to ship from hunter area nsw to canberra

moodgett said:
I grabbed an empty large envelope box from work, wrapped my two pint bottles separately in bubble wrap. Then filled it with flow pack till nothing could move around. Cost 11.95 to ship from hunter area nsw to canberra

Thanks boss!

Latest posts

Back