Australia Day lamb advertisement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peteru said:
- Safron (great spice to go with lamb and rice) costs $1,380 per 10g. That's $138,000/kg. And I thought hops were expensive.
Try smoked paprika, nice substitute.

peteru said:
Had a friend visit from Canada. He says that Australian lamb is cheaper over there than it is here. Chicken same or slightly cheaper here. Pork much cheaper there. Beef much more expensive there. Buffalo, priced stupid.

Speaking of priced over the top. I think I found the most expensive thing at my local Wooolies - Safron (great spice to go with lamb and rice) costs $1,380 per 10g. That's $138,000/kg. And I thought hops were expensive.
Thought I'd make some fish and chips for dinner last night and went down to the local Woolies to get some Flathead fillets

$45.00 a kilo. For Flathead.

When did Flathead become a gourmet delicacy?

peteru said:
Speaking of priced over the top. I think I found the most expensive thing at my local Wooolies - Safron (great spice to go with lamb and rice) costs $1,380 per 10g. That's $138,000/kg. And I thought hops were expensive.
Have you ever seen how safron if picked? it almost justifies the price haha

Mattress said:
Thought I'd make some fish and chips for dinner last night and went down to the local Woolies to get some Flathead fillets

$45.00 a kilo. For Flathead.

When did Flathead become a gourmet delicacy?
thats cheap. usual price retails around $60 for flattie tails, if its from woolies so probably not real flathead.

PS dont buy seafood from either major supermarket. its utter garbage.

lost at sea said:
thats cheap. usual price retails around $60 for flattie tails, if its from woolies so probably not real flathead.

PS dont buy seafood from either major supermarket. its utter garbage.
You're not wrong. Woolies is to fish as CUB is too beer.

I don't buy fish often but when I do it's from a wholesale market, stinks like buggery but worth the trip...

mmm red fin :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I've got several types of paprika, including mild, spicy, smoked, steam sterilised, etc. It's a wonderful ingredient, but definitely not in any way a substitute for saffron.

As far as harvesting saffron, goes, I am familiar with it. My grandparents lived in the mountains and had crocus plants in the front garden and between the veggie patches. Mainly grown because they are so pretty, but the saffron was a welcome bonus. All you need is a pair of tweezers and a paper bag, plus plenty of patience.

They also grew this herb that looked like parsley and had a flavour like a cross between parsley, coriander and thyme. I called it "soup herb" as a kid. Never managed to find anything like it, but it was great. That would work well as garnish sprinkled on top of slow cooked lamb stew or a lamb tagine.

A good ad is one that gets talked about and remembered, clearly this one is doing the job.
Remember the , nearly 10 years old now and still remembered, still gets talked about, so a big winner, even if the whingers got it pulled.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Would have been nice if the ad had actually mentioned "Australia Day."

stm said:
Would have been nice if the ad had actually mentioned "Australia Day."
Why? I think it is a nice touch that the advertising agency gives the majority of the population due credit for intellegence that they dont actually need to spell it out.

Of course Im sure one of Pauline's advisors had to tell her what it was about so she could go into a flap.?
" Why should we be ashamed of being Orstralyn? These refugees come over here and we cant say Orstralya Day in case we offend them. It is political correctness"
Nope nope nope. The people (some) it offends are the actual people who were here first Pauline. You know- the aborigines.

On a similar note, Im looking forward to the interview on triple J when AB Original's 'January 28' comes in the top 10 of the Hottest 100. Their song being celebrated on the day the song criticises will be a turely cringing experience for whoever does the interview. Kinda like watching David Brent.

manticle said:
I love smoked paprika but how is it a substitute for saffron?
Certainly not in taste but as a cost differential and as it colours particular dishes and rice as per saffron.

wide eyed and legless said:
I think my sub would be white onion sauce for lamb, and don't hold back on the pepper.
No, no, no....white sauce with onion is reserved for corned silverside only.

grott said:
Certainly not in taste but as a cost differential and as it colours particular dishes and rice as per saffron.
You can get imitation saffron in the herb and spice section if you just want colour.

For the subtle flavour of saffron, there is no substitute.

Latest posts

Back