Australia Day lamb advertisement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
Ripping ad. Total pissa.
"Look, it's the Float People" - laughed out loud!
Brilliant piece of work.
(but where's Sam Kekovich, the Lambassador?!?)

Re: Damoninja's comment about racial stereotypes, i think the crux of the "contentious" issue of racism is more regarding negative stereotypes. This ad more taps into some stereotypes to paint them as quirks rather than anything that's negative or to be looked down upon. At the end of the day, we're all equal, we're all boat people (except the indigenous people) - we're all one red blood. The superficial differences are to be enjoyed, not denigrated.
(ps: i don't think you're pushing a racist or PC-antiracist angle, by the way, just thought i'd put my 2c into the mix ;) )
Like I said I agree with the message, I'm part native Australian myself.

Personally I couldn't give a toss about stereotypes, but either negative or positive, still a racial stereotype, both these can still be racist:
"Some race" can't drive
"Some race" is really good at math

I'm not a one of those loons that thinks seeks contention and thinks everything's racist, nor am I ignorant and not seeing racism where it's actually there, analytical looking at it from all angles.

This ad ain't racist, it's the intent that matters, (and the intent is very, very good), but some clown will try to find racism in it and plead they're ignorant by making the ad this way... probably vegan too.

Stereotypes, racial or otherwise, are an important coping mechanism. It helps people get through the unknown.

Mardoo said:
Funnily enough the White Australia folks have gotten up in arms about the white stereotypes.
White people are so easily offended.

technobabble66 said:
Ripping ad. Total pissa.
"Look, it's the Float People" - laughed out loud!
Brilliant piece of work.
(but where's Sam Kekovich, the Lambassador?!?)

)
He's in there, mate. Watch it again.

Top bloody ad. Goose bump inducing quality.

With my coopers pale ale in hand I cheers all of you.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484379102.664442.jpg

Edit:

Diversity note-
Me over to England
Wife over to Germany

Two generations ago only! And by BOAT

Not that I eat meat myself I think this ad has hit the nail on the head.

"Beautiful spot like this, it'll be packed before you know it"
**First Fleet rocks up**
"Ohhh here we go"
"How long have you guys been here?"
"Since... Forever mate."
"We're from the first fleet"
"Yeah... Not quiet mate."

16th First Fleet Italians, Greeks and Serbians. - All cultures are to be embraced regardless of timeline. Ironic that back in the day they were not received so well but yet now we all eat out at greek or Italian restaurants weekly. Even the VB ads embrace pizza and kebabs.

"The vegans are here, should we crack a joke?"
*Big smile* "Naaah mate" - Lost my shit hahaha.

Well if I'm being picky.. I should have liked to see a decent cut of lamb. What's with the tiny little cutlets? Where's the roast? Barbeques are good at roasting meat.

good4whatAlesU said:
Well if I'm being picky.. I should have liked to see a decent cut of lamb. What's with the tiny little cutlets? Where's the roast? Barbeques are good at roasting meat.
lamb.jpg

good4whatAlesU said:
Have you seen the price of lamb??
In season, great.
Out of season, bring your cheque book.

Had a friend visit from Canada. He says that Australian lamb is cheaper over there than it is here. Chicken same or slightly cheaper here. Pork much cheaper there. Beef much more expensive there. Buffalo, priced stupid.

Speaking of priced over the top. I think I found the most expensive thing at my local Wooolies - Safron (great spice to go with lamb and rice) costs $1,380 per 10g. That's $138,000/kg. And I thought hops were expensive.

Don't like it... Reason being that it's an ad and ads piss me off big time when watching telly!

Latest posts

Back