Brewersdiscount - A Bit Of A Shock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongo

Reaction score
I apologise for the long thread, but to be fair to Brewersdiscount, I felt I needed to include all correspondance. If it's a bit long for you, just scroll the the end, and read the last quote.

OK had a pretty shocking experience with Brewersdiscount. I include all our correspondence. You can make up your own mind.

19 Dec: directly rang Terry from brewersdiscount to ask about the best way to buy kegs. 5 minutes later I put 6 kegs on order through paypal.

About 23 March (over three months later): I rang Terry to ask about where my order got to. He said to give him an e-mail of the paypal purchase, and he would get back to me within the day. He didnt. I rang back the next day and he said that he was busy, and would attend to my e-mail later. A few days later he responded:

(March 27)
I found your order, December 18, 2005. They were sent out on the 21st with four other orders for Australia. You should have received the two packages a month ago. I will send six more kegs and two gaskets sets to you tomorrow. Maybe got lost in Christmas rush.

Terry

The stuff he said he re-sent me was my original order exactly.

This was a bummer, as I had a heap of fermented wort waiting on the kegs. Perhaps a bit optimistic, but I had no choice, as I was trying to brew for a uni get together.

OK the implication here was that brewersdiscount did everything right at their end, but were let down by the post.

However, I was a bit suspicious that perhaps my order just wasnt processed by brewersdiscount. If this was the case, then I thought their response wasnt satisfactory, as I now had to wait out the delivery time all over again, and over the three months from December to March the price of the kegs actually went down. I felt this was worth enquiring about.

My understanding of brewersdiscount from this forum was that their processes were perhaps not the best, but when they made a mistake, they were fantastic in providing some compensation.

So how to tactfully find out where the error was made? This is how I went about it.

(April 7)
Terry,
Sorry for the late reply. I have been quite ill, and have not really had the inclination to get into this.

This news is a real bummer for me, and I would like to chase it up, as I have a bunch of backlogged fermented wort sitting in my garage ready for a university reunion. I felt that I could be assured that these kegs would come within 3.5 months, as on the Aussie homebrewer forum, no-one has posted a time longer than this on the US keg survey thread.

You mentioned that you sent the kegs on the 21 Dec. I would like to get the records of the original order, so that I can contact the postal service and ask exactly how six large kegs went missing in the post.

This time around you gave me an invoice for my order (which included freight customs form numbers). I did not get one when I placed my original order. Could you please chase this original invoice up Terry? It will provide me with the records I need to contact the postal service and ask what happened. Any additional records that you think could help me will also be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve.

The next day, this:

Steve

I would like to help but I sent the box and order to my business partner who at C&C or pepsi used equip was supposed to mail the package. To be honest I don't have a clue as to what happened to your order. Your kegs are on the way now.

Terry

OK it seems that Terry is saying that the order got lost *before* reaching the post. My response:

(April 13)

Terry,

"Don't have a clue" is pretty unsatisfactory. As I understand it, your business to Australia is built on the fact that you have documented proof (on the AHB forum) that you are trustworthy, and if something goes wrong, you will compensate.

In this instance, I have waited well over the expected time to get my kegs, only to find out that there is no compensation for this mistake, and that I have to wait again from scratch. In addition, the price of your kegs has actually *gone down* in the time it took for this situation to be recognised, so it turns out that I have actually lost money as well.

It's also possible, given the lack of invoice, etc... from my original order (which you have supplied this time around), that the mistake originated from you personally, and you are claiming ignorance. I'm not saying that this is the case, it's just that when you are ordering from Australia, these sort of doubts stop you making the big step of buying overseas.

You still have a great repuation here, and to be honest, I was looking to make a second order soon from you guys. This whole experience has started me thinking that I am better off just buying 2/3 the amount of kegs from someone I trust in Australia.

I have not yet posted this incident on the AHB site, as I feel it is likely that you will provide some proper recognition of and compensation for the stuff up that you made.

please let me know your thoughts.

Steve.
PS - "RobW" just posted on the site saying that he put his order in during November and hasn't recieved anything. Perhaps you should get in contact with him (you can e-mail him through the site).

And this reponse, received only an hour or so ago
(I added the *s, as I thought the forum may automatically ban posts with the full swear words spelled out).

Go f*ck yourself, assh*le. What I don't need is a piece of sh*t like you giving me more sh*t when I tried my best to rectify the situation. Don't email back, your emails are spam sh*thead.

Matthew Chitiea

Pepsi Equip

Case closed (?) :blink:

So did you get the kegs after all
Good thing you didn't ring him, or your ears would be still burning :blink:
So I'd say that Matthew Chitiea's creditability just took a rather large nose dive.
Will be interesting to read his response to this thread :)

Normell

no normell, I have not recieved the kegs yet, but I do honestly think that they have been sent this time. I'll report back on that.

I look forward to Matt's response too. I included all correspondance so this thread doesn't turn into a "He said, we said" slinging match.

It certainly appears I will not be able to get any more information or correspondance through e-mail, that's for sure :D

mongo said:
no normell, I have not recieved the kegs yet, but I do honestly think that they have been sent this time. I'll report back on that.

I look forward to Matt's response too. I included all correspondance so this thread doesn't turn into a "He said, we said" slinging match.

It certainly appears I will not be able to get any more information or correspondance through e-mail, that's for sure :D
[post="120264"][/post]​
Maybe if we all sent him a e-mail, saying, hey you smart ass seppo pr**k, look after aussie mongo, or we'll get some of our indigenous PPL to point the bone at ya

Normell

That is SERIOUSLY Sub par....

I would send the email on to Pepsi Management as they would be interested to see one of their employees (or some one pretending to be) behaving like this....

Oh and let ebay know to...

MHD said:
That is SERIOUSLY Sub par....

I would send the email on to Pepsi Management as they would be interested to see one of their employees (or some one pretending to be) behaving like this....

Oh and let ebay know to...
[post="120269"][/post]​
Ditto :) THAT'S the right way to do it, go higher. :angry:

(Normell)
Maybe if we all sent him a e-mail, saying, hey you smart ass seppo pr**k, look after aussie mongo, or we'll get some of our indigenous PPL to point the bone at ya

brilliant idea normell! I have been trying to use a voodoo doll, but haven't been able to locate a lock of his hair :D I forgot we have much better ways to deal out long distance justice developed right here in our own backyard!

(MHD)

good idea MHD - the problem is that I ordered direct through paypal. It doesn't matter too much anyway - I figure that most of Matt's business from Oz comes through here, so I am just grateful for the presence of this site.

Not the best way to run a business with an email reply like that.Personally since the keg king fiasco i wouldnt touch any of these USA keg sellers with a ten foot barge pole.
Shame really since Matt has had some fantastic service and happy customers here in the past.Where has it all gone wrong for him.
Wonder if it would be worth the time to post Matts replys to our beer brothers on Homebrew Adventures back in his homeland.

Cheers
Big D

Oh - sorry MHD, my response to you was regarding the idea to write to ebay. The thought of letting Pepsi know is interesting - I am not sure if Pepsi Equip is a standaolne company, or if it is actually endorsed by Pepsi. If it's standalone, I suspect that Matt is somewhere near the top of management.

You're right - I should find out. Bloody hell - it's hard work being a dissatisfied customer!

Shame really since Matt has had some fantastic service and happy customers here in the past.Where has it all gone wrong for him.

I know - I have no idea what has happenned in this instance. Perhaps he was having a bad day(?) Whatever the reason, it'd be great to get Matt's input on this thread to hear about it.

Wonder if it would be worth the time to post Matts replys to our beer brothers on Homebrew Adventures back in his homeland.

Will do tonight, failing some input from Matt on this thread in the meantime. I am sure matt will realise that I have posted here, so I will give him the right to reply. If there's no response from him, then your idea's a good one. Thanks.

mongo said:
Oh - sorry MHD, my response to you was regarding the idea to write to ebay. The thought of letting Pepsi know is interesting - I am not sure if Pepsi Equip is a standaolne company, or if it is actually endorsed by Pepsi. If it's standalone, I suspect that Matt is somewhere near the top of management.

You're right - I should find out. Bloody hell - it's hard work being a dissatisfied customer!
[post="120278"][/post]​

I should hope not! Who at the top of a company uses language like that? The email he sent you borders (well crosses the border IMHO) on abusive and therefore raises a liability...

Put it this way, trading under the pepsi name and abusing customers like that certainly puts the trade name of pepsi in disrepute so there are so many avenues it's not funny...

Use of language like that just annoys me big time, even when I am :party: I dont stoop to that level let alone with a paying customer... Hell THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY and you have no product... You have more legs to stand on than a millipede...

It seems BD have too much to do and too few hands to do it with and too few systems in place to pick up possible mistakes. And an almost complete inability to admit mistakes. Matt did admit to the need to send shipping receipts at one stage. It comes across as a backyard operation (albeit a flocking big one) and the guys are clearly run off their feet and struggle to deal with the time-consuming glitches that fall through the cracks. Anyone who has worked in customer service situations know that things like this take up a disproportionate amount of time to what they are worth and can be really frustrating. BUT, that doesn't give you an excuse to blame the customer. Certainly not to abuse him. Even if the customer is being a bit abrasive or unreasonable (which is not to suggest that you were).

Anyway, under those circumstances I can see how your email would have rubbed him the wrong way, let's at least acknowledge that, but the right way to deal with it would have been to swear at you out loud and kick the dog or something and then admit that maybe the problem was at their end and offer to give you a credit (for your next order) for the price difference between when you ordered and now.

But the response he gave was out of line and if he can't admit he did his lolly and apologize, I'd say he has just lost a fair slice of his sales stream to Australia (and Japan).

My other reacttion was: Basiiiil!!

Steve

I wonder if you would have got the same response if you were standing there in person.Very unprofessional.

Anyone who has worked in customer service situations know that things like this take up a disproportionate amount of time to what they are worth and can be really frustrating. BUT, that doesn't give you an excuse to blame the customer. Certainly not to abuse him. Even if the customer is being a bit abrasive or unreasonable (which is not to suggest that you were).

Anyway, under those circumstances I can see how your email would have rubbed him the wrong way, let's at least acknowledge that

I have worked in customer service situations Steve, and agree with you totally. There's a temptation to snap a lot of the time. Still, for all my time in customer service positions, I was never even rude to a customer, let alone took the time to put my thoughts on an e-mail like this.

My final e-mail was designed to be abrasive - I felt it was worth demonstrating some frustration about the service - not just the difference in price, but also the extra three months waiting time. Both would be compensated for, if Matt was running the sort of business that I understood him to be running. Still, if a civil answer came back saying "bad luck", I would've just given up and not ordered from him again (and posted a brief 2c worth on the US survey thread on this site).

But the response he gave was out of line and if he can't admit he did his lolly and apologize, I'd say he has just lost a fair slice of his sales stream to Australia (and Japan).

I agree - it would be good for him to contribute to this thread somehow.

Cheers :beer:

Sounds like a bit of bad luck to me... for them and you.

Also appears that the reply you got was less than professional, despite any perceived provocation.

It's all been said before, but these guys have a lot of customers and prob don't really give a tinker's cuss if some guy in Oz has received some "less than average" service. Probably happens much more often in the US. You can't really get at them from here, and any bad publicity that's generated will prob not make a significant dent in their business. These guys are in business to make money and prob don't have a separate Customer Relations section to help out when a (heaven forbid) mistake is made.

And it sounds like you copped some crap that he was saving for a US customer who "can" lodge a grievance (and get a result), so he dropped it on U. Don't take it personally.

I have been ordering stuff from the US since I was about 14 yrs old, and have found that the US postal service is not very good. I have lost parcels and after a number of letters, had no recourse but to write off the loss. Most of the stuff came through, though, and occasionally they tossed in a bonus (extra product, stickers, freebie vinyl singles, books, mags, etc), coz the Yanks generally like us Aussies.

It's possible that he thought you were running a scam, to get free extra kegs, as he doesn't absolutely know that U didn't receive the order...(does he?)

I can also see that it's very disappointing to wait 3-odd months for an order that doesn't arrive. Then, how long do you wait to query the order? Has it been delayed, or is it missing? The logistics are messy when you are half-way around the world from the major suppliers.

I'd be expecting the attitude to get snottier, too, as the world supply of these kegs runs out. Then, they can just say, "U Aussies can have your money back, and go and put a shrimp on the barbie". It's probably no longer a buyer's market (if it ever was). In an extreme response they cease trading with us, but it would be poor form on behalf of the company, based on one incident. But it's their call, as with any business; and again distance/logistics will force us to "cop it sweet".

It's a major gamble, dealing with O/S companies, despite favourable (historical) feedback. U pays ur money and U takes ur chances.

Best of luck...and we'll hear from you again in June?

Seth out :p

It's possible that he thought you were running a scam, to get free extra kegs, as he doesn't absolutely know that U didn't receive the order...(does he?)

my take on the correspondance is that it seems pretty likely that they didn't send the kegs, and that they know it. Have another read of it. See what you think.

It's probably no longer a buyer's market (if it ever was).

The price of kegs has gone down in the last three months, which indicates there is more supply than demand at the moment.

I spose whatever the situation is, and their perceptions - the bottom line is that Matt has acted pretty surprisingly badly.

mongo, Try taking it up with Paypal's Resolution Centre, it may help :(

deadly said:
I wonder if you would have got the same response if you were standing there in person.Very unprofessional.
[post="120296"][/post]​
Simply.... no.

The internet gives (perceived) balls to those that otherwise don't posses them.

Mongo, for what it's worth, I think you handled your communication extremely well. Certainly, don't question your own actions. Everything you did was within reason and polite.

That email back is, as Matthew Chitiea would say, 'ken atrocious. There's no excuses for that unless followed by a sincere apology in a short space of time. We all have times of stress but I reckon that reply is beyond belief!

If no apology comes then assume the guy is just weird. You don't want to deal with weird people, no matter the discount, as they drive you mad!

After a few days, I'd be posting a link to this thread on the other AHB thread (US Keg Survey? or whatever it's called.) You would be quite within reason to link it immediatley but, being stupidly optimistic, I always imagine weird stuff like this is provoked by some major reason, e.g. a major loss. It never is, so just link it now!

All the best to you Mongo.
PP

Latest posts

Back