Australia: Background info for Forum Owner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Austin might find this link useful when preparing for any future trip to Australia to meet his flock. Very clever and accurate, love it.

Having lived in the USA, this is gold. Wish I could have palmed that URL off to people whilst I was there!

I once got told in The Short North Taver (High Street, Columbus Ohio) by a half drunk barman...'Ya know, I was gonna drive to Ozstraaalia one day'.....yeah, right mate...that after he told me he had never been more than 30 miles from where he was born, ever.

That's fantastic.

I was going to send the link to my American colleagues with a sense of humour...................

But then realised that I couldn't think of any :p

It makes more sense than actual cricket.

"Your genuine enthusiasm for something can sound creepy. You may think you are applauding the swimsuit design of your Australian neighbour's 12-year old, but your neighbour just hears you making paedophilic advances."

GOLD!

Loved this! As an American ex-pat who has been here 17 years I can vouch for the first 17 years of confusion ;)

I think much of what foreigners see as racism in Aussies is very often xenophobia, a fear of that which seems foreign or strange. There's certainly racism here - like there is in every country, hell, have a chat with the Han Chinese about other Asians - but sometimes it doesn't really matter if you're pink, purple or green, it's that what you do seems odd or creepy. Xenophobia has a lot more to do with culture than skin color. It's like I often hear, "Americans are OK once you get to know them."

It took me about 10 years here to relax enough for people to get to know me. Maybe less, but it seems it's only the last few years that I've really felt I'm living in my own skin here. In America people spend so much time maintaining the image that relaxing and just being yourself can be a big leap. Sounds stupid, but coming from a place where plenty of people are shunned for life for just being themselves, it can really scare the shit out of you at first.

LOL.

Well... I think I get along so well with you guys because we do have so much in common.

I don't have a passport. It takes 2 days to leave Texas, and I have no interest in doing so. Texas is a little like prison in that regard, oh and all the prisons everywhere. I could fly, but I would just run into the same things I hate about my culture that I in fact hate about yours. There are people there, and they are doing something. Haters gonna Hate.

I love the Brits. Well, their TV and some of their music.

If I'm in a plane six hours so what? I was going to sit on my ass at home for six hours anyways.

Metric is rad. Wish we would use it, but the issue lies in the fact we industrialized in Stnadard (Imperial) measurements and as our infrastructure is crumbling we need to know wtf a 9/16 wrench is so the damn thing doesn't fall apart. Maybe when you guys run the world that can be a culture export. The bridge fixing that is. I already use metric (all Americans do. We learn both.).

I'm a simple man. Is there something I love and use? See past statement about hater being hater. I won't need it once I can't have it.

Rich Cultural life? LOL.

I love and have an accent.

I want my uzi, got that right. You guys should want them too. As for the nine year old and Jesus that's between them. We choose our own paths in life, religion included.

Well done though. Having been here long enough I have come to understand some of your culture and it's pretty awesome, but it is your culture.

The thing I love most about our culture, is that if we like you, we can take the piss out of you and vice versa. If we dont like you, it just takes longer til we take the piss out of you and we mean it.
A minor, (to the untrained eye) but oh so important difference.
The fact that most other cultures dont get it just adds to how cool it is. The Brits get it, of course.

austin said:
I want my uzi, got that right. You guys should want them too.
I don't think so.

I can't see a former U.S president telling a joke like this in public
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dFSHsZhX8g

Hawkie was also a beer drinking champ and once held the Guiness Word Record for drinking a yard glass ( 2.5 imperial pints) in 11 seconds. Just don't think this sort of behaviour would help promote the political career of someone aspiring to be the next U.S president. It certainly helped Bob Hawke become Prime Minister by being portrayed as "one of the boys". As mentioned we really don't like people thinking themselves as superior,even if they do happen to run the country.

mckenry said:
The thing I love most about our culture, is that if we like you, we can take the piss out of you and vice versa. If we dont like you, it just takes longer til we take the piss out of you and we mean it.
A minor, (to the untrained eye) but oh so important difference.
The fact that most other cultures dont get it just adds to how cool it is. The Brits get it, of course.
As a Pom, when I arrived in Australia in 1977 our local pub had the usual funny posters and signs behind the bar (Just like in the old road houses on route 66 as described by Steinbeck in the Grapes of Wrath before American roadhouses and our pubs got gentrified and hipster). My favourite read "grow your own dope, plant a Pom".

I didn't take offence, being a keen regurgitator of Irish Jokes myself. It's universal.

East Friesland Joke:

When a German tourist dies in East Friesland why do they bury him with his arsch in the air?
So the locals will have somewhere to park their bikes.

Much laughter.

Back