Aust Post sets up warehouse in US

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its a bot more than that, the postal service has legal obligations which they are bound to. There are other things like stamps being legal tender and other things like security of postal items that dont apply to general/private couriers

Australia Post mail service made a $200 + million loss last year and got rid of 900 staff if I remember right, the Post Offices surprisingly made a profit, and I believe overall they made a profit of $300 + million their target is to get the profit into the $600 million range, so it will be interesting to see if this new venture will make them the extra revenue they are certainly charging enough for the service.
As I mentioned earlier I wouldn't be surprised if they did distinguish goods costing over $1000 so C&E can collect the duty as at the moment there are that many parcels coming through the post C&E will be collecting a puffteenth of f##k all.

wide eyed and legless said:
As I mentioned earlier I wouldn't be surprised if they did distinguish goods costing over $1000 so C&E can collect the duty as at the moment there are that many parcels coming through the post C&E will be collecting a puffteenth of f##k all.
I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

all incoming parcels generally need to have a customs declaration with exact items and values listed no matter if they're coming via auspost, any other freight forwarder or an individual business or from a private person.a total always has to be supplied, so nothing will change at all.
it's entirely up to customs too read those labels (and check the content if in doubt) and act accordingly.

The figure of parcels being checked by customs is less than 50% there was a report not so long ago and it was I believe 40% of parcels coming through the mail get checked at random, the sheer volume of goods coming through the post is far to much for customs to handle, Australia Post x ray parcels they think are suspicious and tip off Customs. DHL and other such carriers their brokers set the duty etc, different to coming through the post.

Australia Post mail service made a $200 + million loss last year and got rid of 900 staff if I remember right, the Post Offices surprisingly made a profit, and I believe overall they made a profit of $300 + million their target is to get the profit into the $600 million range, so it will be interesting to see if this new venture will make them the extra revenue they are certainly charging enough for the service.
Australia post made a $116m profit. People who want to try to sell Aus Post separate letter delivery (which makes a loss) from the bigger business (which on the whole makes a profit).

You have to remember that the Postal Service is a public service....so basically someone has to do it.

A freight forwarding service for them would be a walk in the park. They already have the delivery mechanisms in place, its just another business unit using existing infracstructor

WOW....shows the scale of just how big Auspost are

"Mail volumes continued their steep declines in 2012/13 falling by 5.4 per cent. Australia Post now delivers one billion fewer letters per year than we did in 2008

Government dividend isn't bad $244 m for 26%, can't see the government selling Auspost if they can pick up that sort of money every year.

Selling Auspost would be political suicide...the voters just wont buy it....they want to, but they know it would go down like fresh vomit for lunch

Screw aus post. The guy running the show see's fit to pay himself $4.8million then claims they are losing money and has to sack 900 workers. Thats 900 families without an income. Yet the company as a whole is making a massive profit. I don't get how that works at all.

Bridges said:
Screw aus post. The guy running the show see's fit to pay himself $4.8million then claims they are losing money and has to sack 900 workers. Thats 900 families without an income. Yet the company as a whole is making a massive profit. I don't get how that works at all.
Well he doesnt get to choose how much he actually gets paid, but I see your point.

And no, I dont get how it all works either. Welcome to the worl of corporate business I guess ...... :angry2:

Bridges said:
If you have an apple tree and you have a branch which has died off or just not producing any apples, you cut off that branch to keep the rest of the tree producing healthier strong growth, same with a business, if a part of that business is not producing any profits it has to be culled.
As for the $4.8 m he earns that for income he makes for Australia Post, Mike Smith CEO for ANZ earned $10.4 m + bonus payment of $8 m or so. If the CEO'S don't perform they are out of a job.

DU99 said:
Australia Post launches US parcel forwarding for online shopping
Australia Post is hoping to get a slice of the online shopping pie with a new parcel forwarding service for shoppers buying products only ship to the United States.
ShopMate offers Australian customers the opportunity to buy from online sites that don't offer international shipping, allowing shoppers to use a US delivery address that then forwards parcels onto Australia --
You'll pay a flat fee of AU$24.95 per package, with an additional AU$5.95 charged per 500 grams of weight. This is either measured by the physical weight of the package or the cubic weight -- whichever figure is higher will be the final 'weight'.

Not cheap either
Thanks for the post, it might not normally be cheap but if you factor in other goodies bargains can be had.

My example:

Jerky Slicer normally $159 on special for $109 plus extra 20% off a US purchase over $100 when promo code is entered at checkout, Shipping & Handling is $14.95. Total cost including S&H = US $104.
The cost for Auspost is approximately $24.95 + $5.95 x 9 = $78.50, but they are also having a 20% discount on postage costs up until 30/11/2014 if you enter 'ShopMateLaunch'. $78.50 - 20% = AU $62.50.

If buying direct from the shop the postage charge to Australia is US $110 and you don't get to use the promo code for spending over $100. So it can be quite a saving if your lucky enough for things to fall into place.

:icon_cheers:

If you have an apple tree and you have a branch which has died off or just not producing any apples, you cut off that branch to keep the rest of the tree producing healthier strong growth, same with a business, if a part of that business is not producing any profits it has to be culled.
As for the $4.8 m he earns that for income he makes for Australia Post, Mike Smith CEO for ANZ earned $10.4 m + bonus payment of $8 m or so. If the CEO'S don't perform they are out of a job.
Bridges was talking about people with families, not dead branches on a single tree.

Relative to people who do his job overseas he is overpaid. The US Postmaster General earns less than $300k, and the USPS has revenue of around $66bn (though it is actually bleeding money)

Latest posts

Back