Aus wide Bulk buy Grain mill- Malt Muncher

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez I wish I had some money, I would have loved to have snapped one of them up as my marga is slow and on its way out :(

Truman said:
So now that we have these grain mills how are we going to mount and run them?

I have a variable speed drill that I was going to use and mount the mill onto some board with a slot cut out. Then sit this over a pale.
Might also secure the lid of the pail to the bottom of the board so I can clip it into the pail to stop it wanting to tip over with the weight of the drill.

Seems to be the way a lot of others have done it so I guess it will work.
My mate made up a small cupboard out of ply on casters
But a bucket in the bottom and close the door
Dont know what motor off
But i will use a motor off of a motorised golf buggy
Add a pully to motor and mill to make it a little faster
Mount on the same sort of cupboard

Id be up for one if the could be more available at that price work issues came up when this was running

Truman said:
So now that we have these grain mills how are we going to mount and run them?

I have a variable speed drill that I was going to use and mount the mill onto some board with a slot cut out. Then sit this over a pale.
Might also secure the lid of the pail to the bottom of the board so I can clip it into the pail to stop it wanting to tip over with the weight of the drill.

Seems to be the way a lot of others have done it so I guess it will work.
My mill base has three rubber stoppers that fit exactly inside the top of a handy pail. Keeps it very stable and much less stuffing around than with clamps/clips/whatever.

bum said:
My mill base has three rubber stoppers that fit exactly inside the top of a handy pail. Keeps it very stable and much less stuffing around than with clamps/clips/whatever.
Sounds like the same thing i did when i used to mount my mill to my bucket. Just screwed four rubber feet to the underneath side of the mill base so that it fits just inside the "inside" of the catching bucket.

8-ball said:
Id be up for one if the could be more available at that price work issues came up when this was running
+ 1 for this if it is a possibility.

Cheers,

Rexi

bum said:
Does the weight of the drill hanging off the side want to make the platform tip up at all? That was my only concern that it would be out of balance because of the weight of the drill and I would have to make the platform wider on the opposite side and use weights to counter balance it.

Gents,

Please keep me updated when you receive your grain Mills so I know they all arrived to their destinations safely.

Cheers

mine arrived today, waiting till I go get the brew assistant from day care ...... he loves opening shiny things :lol:

already assembled and adjusted for my grind

Woo-hoo

Had a nice little surprise waiting for me when I got home from work. Now to work out how to mount the bloody thing! Cheers Truman.

That's what I want to do but my concern is the weight of the drill might cause the base to tip. With his mill his hopper is made of wood so seems a bit heavier and would possibly counter balance the drill.

I think two ways to solve the problem is use a square piece of wood larger than the pail so you can use weights on the opposite side to counter balance the drill. And maybe make the slit for your mill in the wood as close to the opposite side of drill near the edge of the bucket so the drill is brought closer to the centre of the bucket.

I see your concern, the only issue with moving the slit to the opposite edge would be that if you want to invert it to store it away, the hopper may not fit into the bucket. Worst case a weight could always be added to the opposite side. Considering that to turn on the drill you have to pull the trigger, I think the weight could be supported somewhat. I am going to try mine with a piece of 16mm mdf, which is rather sturdy and has plenty of weight to it.

Latest posts

Back