Att No Chillers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHB

All Grain All The Time
Reaction score
I no chilled today for the first time in a while. Now i know what my losses are and hit my final volume spot on when i chill but every time i no chill im losing 3 litres from the kettle to the no chill cube. I cant work out where its going. Anyone have some ideas?? I know i lose 5 litres to evap and 1 litre to the trub, i had a preboil of 29litres and ended up with 20ltr in the cube so i have 3 litres missing.

Cheers

KHB

Are you saying there is a difference between your chill and NC volumes when they are measured in the fermenter??

Are you saying there is a difference between your chill and NC volumes when they are measured in the fermenter??

No im saying when i chill i allow for a chilling loss of 4 litres when i no chill i assume that chilling loss dosnt occur or is that were the 3litres is going??

KHB

It still occurs....

Hot wort takes up more volume than cool wort....

This is why NC cubes create a vacuum and suck their sides in as they slowly cool.

So when i transfer this to the fermenter if i do have 20 litres instead of 23 litres i need to add that as my cooling loss??

KHB

Not sure what cube you are using but most of them will take something like 22 L to fill, that's most likely accounting for the difference you are finding.

scuse my ignorance here, but why would you have such a thing as a 'chilling loss' when using a counterflow or plate chiller? I don't chill so I'm not familiar with that term.

Edit: you can count on 23 litres in a Willow Brand nominal "20L" cube. That could account for the phantom 3 litres.

If you know your measurements on your fermenter and also on your kettle are accurate and you empty the ENTIRE cube into the fermenter, then yes this needs to be accounted for as cooling loss.

Back