Article on Over-Hopped Craftbeer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Fair point if you compare it with 150 Lashes.
A couple of times recently I've seen guys in hi vis gear and Mongrel boots carrying slabs of lashes out to utes so the pale ale trend seems to be getting into VB heartland.
I think the pale ale trend is definitely stealing the share from VB/Tooheys/Crown, my old man has been a Crownie drinker for 20+ years and he even goes for the Lashes now.

my first foray into craft beer was James Squire IPA. Man that beer was hoppy to me at the time. Then I got into little creatures... but I remember secretly thinking "christ that's some bitter shit". I think I was only drinking it to be cool. Now LC tastes so tame.

Palate creep

When I was 25 years old and a backpacker I would sit on the shores of the Med in Turkey getting hammered on Efes Pilsen and couldn't believe the richness of the malt, the floral hops, the general beer trippyness of this nectar.

turkey.jpg

In Istanbul I would gaze in wonder at the Blue Mosque from my hotel room with a reassuring supply of Efes to hand, savouring every beautiful drop

turkey 2.jpg

For most of my adult life I've craved to taste this beer again before I die.

Last year Dan's got in a shipment.

Meh

As an example, considering the massive Pommy retired and expat population on the Gold Coast and the East coast generally, I'd bet that a brewery doing a proper UK Bitter even if on nitro like their smooth flow, and distributed to pubs who were willing to put it through a nitro tap, would have the poms flocking.[/quote]

Washing down some proper bacon, Lardy Cakes and a Gert Big Blackbird Pie

From thew article.

So here’s my plea to my fellow craft beer enthusiasts: Give it a rest. Let’s talk about the differences between wild and cultivated lab yeast, and the weird and wonderful flavors that are created when brewers start scouring nearby trees or flowers or even their own beards for new strains.

Rogue%20Ales%20Beard%20Beer.jpg

Yeah, fuk that. I'll stick with an IPA thanks..

Bribie G said:
Palate creep

When I was 25 years old and a backpacker I would sit on the shores of the Med in Turkey getting hammered on Efes Pilsen and couldn't believe the richness of the malt, the floral hops, the general beer trippyness of this nectar.

attachicon.gif
turkey.jpg

In Istanbul I would gaze in wonder at the Blue Mosque from my hotel room with a reassuring supply of Efes to hand, savouring every beautiful drop

attachicon.gif
turkey 2.jpg

Meh
and now your one of us old bastards that live in nsw and drink almost anything as long as it has bubbles and alcohol in any quantity !
hello bribie in downtown kyogle

Dave70 said:
From thew article.

So here’s my plea to my fellow craft beer enthusiasts: Give it a rest. Let’s talk about the differences between wild and cultivated lab yeast, and the weird and wonderful flavors that are created when brewers start scouring nearby trees or flowers or even their own beards for new strains.

Rogue%20Ales%20Beard%20Beer.jpg

Yeah, fuk that. I'll stick with an IPA thanks
i've had it. tastes belgian but is just an...'eh' beer. i'll go back to my ipas also.

Bribie G said:
Palate creep

turkey.jpg

turkey 2.jpg

Meh
Yep, the older we get, the less taste buds we have.

I once got hooked on those sour worm lollies. For months after i lost the appreciation of the humble raspberry jube.

Latest posts

Back