Argh!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyc

Reaction score
Hello all,

I ordered a grain bill from interstate (no names) a few weeks ago and it arrived without me checking what the contents was (silly me). Just went to mash in and realised that it wasn't exactly what I'd ordered (I'd ordered grain for an APA).

The grain contents on the bag says it includes:
- 3kg P Ale
- 1.5kg JW Amber
- 450g Bairds Pale Choc
- 300g JW Dark Crystal
- 100g Bairds Black

Any idea what type of beer this might be intended for? I'm guessing some type of darker beer but since I haven't ventured into this territory yet I'm not sure what.

I've had to go ahead and am currently mashing it at 66C. I've only got US-05 to ferment with, and was going to use Willamette and Goldings to hop with, so stuffed if I know what type of beer I'm going to get.

Any ideas? Very, very frustrating.

Ben

PS To add to my frustrations, I bottled two experimental 5L batches yesterday, and on the second batch, I forgot to turn the bottling bucket tap off - lost a couple of liters. Never thought it'd happen to me, but now I humbly eat my hat.

If you keep the hops the same as for your intended APA, cut out the black malt and you'll end up with an American Brown (or close enough). The grain bill actually looks really good for a brown. It will turn out really well. :beerbang:

Those hops you got should suit that grain bill quite nice. Just call it a surprise ale.

Great - not such a disaster after all! :icon_cheers:

I'd already chucked in all the grain, so hopefully the 100g of Bairds Black won't do too much.

Is there any problem with using Cascade to dry hop in this sort of style? I've got some to use up.

Its a grain bill for a stout. Too dark and roasty for a porter. Your hops will suit the style, and I would bitter to 30-35IBU, 60 minute addition only. If you have some English yeast lying about, this would be more "to style" than using the US-05, but should still turn out OK.

i wold not think the cascade would go to well dry hopped as the darker malts will clash with it. Glodings would be a better shot. A nice english hop

I ordered a grain bill from interstate (no names)

I notice you are from Canberra.
There is perfectably acceptable Shop here in Kambah that sells all sorts of grain and hops (no affiliations and I will not vouch for the quality or freshness)..surely it would have cheaper to purchase locally??

K

- 3kg P Ale
- 1.5kg JW Amber
- 450g Bairds Pale Choc
- 300g JW Dark Crystal
- 100g Bairds Black

Any idea what type of beer this might be intended for? I'm guessing some type of darker beer but since I haven't ventured into this territory yet I'm not sure what.

I've had to go ahead and am currently mashing it at 66C. I've only got US-05 to ferment with, and was going to use Willamette and Goldings to hop with, so stuffed if I know what type of beer I'm going to get.

Add the cascade and you could possible be getting reasonably close to a Rogue [size=-1] Shakespeare Stout:[/size]
[size=-1]
5 gallons
Assumes: 70% efficiency, 5.5 gallons at end of boil
OG: 1.060 (15 P)
IBU: 69

All Grain Version
11.0 lb (5 kg) Great Western 2-row pale malt
0.5 lb (227 g) 120L crystal malt
0.5 lb (227 g) chocolate malt
0.5 lb (227 g) rolled oats
3.0 oz (85 g) roasted barley

Mash at 150F (65C) for 60 minutes. Sparge at 175F (79C) to collect 6.5
gallons of pre-boil wort.

Extract Plus Grains
Steep speciality malts, roasted barley and oats in 150F (65C) water for
20 minutes. Strain, add 7.5 lb (3.4 kg) light malt extract syrup, then
proceed with the one hour boil.

Boil
1.oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5% AA (90 min)
1.oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5% AA (60 min)
1.oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5% AA (30 min)
1.oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5% AA (knockout)
1 tsp (5 mL) Irish moss (20 min)
Wyeast Pacman or BrewTek California Pub Ale (CL-50) or equivalent

Boil 90 minutes with the additions shown above. Cool to 60F (16C) and
pitch yeast. Ferment at 60F (16C) for one week, then siphon into
secondary. Hold in secondary at 60F (16C) until fermentation is
complete, then package and condition.[/size]

I notice you are from Canberra.
There is perfectably acceptable Shop here in Kambah that sells all sorts of grain and hops (no affiliations and I will not vouch for the quality or freshness)..surely it would have cheaper to purchase locally??

K
So you can't vouch for it's quality or freshness, but say it is perfectly acceptable??

I'm also in Canberra and get my grains from interstate - works out slightly more expensive, but if I buy a 10kg grain bill at a time, postage doesn't cost that much. I checked out the shop in Kambah you are talking about and was concerned to see that his grain was stored in bulk already milled (and in buckets near a great big window with pouring sunlight). Not sure if that's the freshest way to do things. If this is the normal practice, then so be it - but I was under the impression that most HBS milled their grain to order, as the orders came in?

Sorry to get a bit off topic here.

There is perfectably acceptable Shop here in Kambah

Yep, I know the shop and I will buy my grain from there eventually - just that I've got a lot of grain left in my grain book account at the other place, and I won't get there often enough to use it otherwise.

Hello all,

I ordered a grain bill from interstate (no names) a few weeks ago and it arrived without me checking what the contents was (silly me). Just went to mash in and realised that it wasn't exactly what I'd ordered (I'd ordered grain for an APA).

- 3kg P Ale
- 1.5kg JW Amber
- 450g Bairds Pale Choc
- 300g JW Dark Crystal
- 100g Bairds Black

Any ideas? Very, very frustrating.

If they sent you the wrong ingredients, simply give them a call & get the correct ones sent.
1.5kg of amber is a huge amount in nearly any recipe - Were you planning on using that much or was it part of the mistake?

Cheers Ross

Crunched....
So you can't vouch for it's quality or freshness, but say it is perfectly acceptable??
I was only mentioning a local Canberra shop (that has no web presence). Kit's which are the mentioned business's stock 'n trade have "use-by-dates" or "made-on-dates", grain, hops and yeast, well that is up to the re-packager I guess. So, yes, IMHO the shop is acceptable, at the very least for kits but as is later pointed out :
I checked out the shop in Kambah you are talking about and was concerned to see that his grain was stored in bulk already milled (and in buckets near a great big window with pouring sunlight). Not sure if that's the freshest way to do things. If this is the normal practice, then so be it - but I was under the impression that most HBS milled their grain to order, as the orders came in?
So I guess we agree on vouchsafeness then (insert stupid smile).

K

Didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you Dr K - just wanted an explanation that's all as I had my doubts due to a couple of reasons. But yes, I can see where you are coming from regarding kits and bits (which do seem to be their main products).

1.5kg of amber malt........ and people are worried about the 100g of black malt.

Id say dry hopping with a bit of cascade wont make much difference because all you will taste is amber malt.

I would be ringing said malt supplier and complaining loudly and demanding the corect grain bill be sent at their cost!

cheers

I was only mentioning a local Canberra shop (that has no web presence).
K
It does, http://www.brewyourown.com.au/ very token and of limited use but still a web presence.
The kits are fresh, there is a wide range but they are not so cheap. The selection freshness and range of other stuff such as hops, yeast, adjuncts etc. makes it worth the visit.

I actually reckon it's a porter, or English brown of some type. And will probably come out well with your hops and yeast.

Though I wouldn't be dry-hopping with cascades myself... :unsure:

Yeastie boys over in NZ recently brought out an American Porter with all cascade, it tasted beautifull!

So go ahead, dry hop with cascade :icon_cheers:

Back