Are you a hoarder?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bradsbrew said:
Doesn't help that there seems to be an unwritten rule at work, "See if Brad wants to take that home before you throw it out" -_-
I always have an internal conflict, and I will put something aside en route to the work bin.

I have recently developed a trick which helps: Find someone more susceptible than yourself. Someone weaker. :ph34r:

You get the satisfaction of seeing the item re-purposed (potentially) rather than turfed, and you are not justifying to the missus that the diameter and wall thickness of this piping is really expensive to buy, despite if there is any use for it.

i've just upgraded the brewery and i could not have done it without half the gear that i have hordered....

MartinOC said:
Ummm.....yeah, I guess I am. I recently did an inventory of all the stuff in my garage to remind myself of all the gear I've accumulated over the past 20-odd years & it was quite frightening:

14 x 18/20 L post-mix kegs (a mixture of pin-locks & QD's).
5 x 45L post-mix kegs
1 x 80L post-mix keg
4 x 80L ex CUB kegs

Hi, my name is Martin & I'm a compulsive hoarder...... :blink:
You don't want to sell any of it , do you ? lol

MartinOC said:
14 x 18/20 L post-mix kegs (a mixture of pin-locks & QD's).
5 x 45L post-mix kegs

Yeah, I'll take some kegs off you. Just trying to lend a hand!

When my garage or what ever it is starts looking over crowded or 'junky' I have a rule. Whenever I go in there I must toss something in the bin when I exit. Can be big, small, worth money, dosen't matter until I feel it looks better and less 'junky'.

By toss out I really mean take to the AWL if it's worth something or recycle if I can etc.

It works well because it helps little kittens, makes me feel good and clears stuff out.

I'm not a hoarder, I've just got lots of useful stuff. :unsure: I can honestly say I use virtually everything in my workshop, my problem is buying / storing too much bulk. I'd have 300-400kg of grain and a few kg of hops on hand. 2 functioning breweries. I just need a bigger shed.

Nah not me, I chuck out anything not of use or importance. Can't stand junk lying around, I'm a bit OCD on this one.

Last time I moved, I was so over it I took 4 tonne of rubbish from the garage straight to the tip. Had only been in that place for 18 months and I don't recall moving any of it into that place. I've been telling the missus for the last 12 months we need an acre so I can build a 4 bay shed. Should be adequate storage for brewery, bar and at least one project car. I think that's finally gonna happen this year!

I live on a farm with a 12x10m workshop and a 20x36m shed, I have fukloads of stuff, I have a big clean up a few times a year, but most of that clean up is just moving shit from one place to another, you can never have to much shed space. Being on a farm though, keeping random bits and pieces really does become handy, as long as you have the tools to modify, you'll find a use for it.

I don't hoard, I invent and modify :p

shaunous said:
I don't hoard, I invent and modify :p
You mean justify.

I think the thread should be along the lines of:
When you die, how much of a headache will you leave for those surviving your arse?

Not a lot if you have 17 different types of aspirin, panadol, herron, nurofen and mercyndol.

Imagine how great it will be for your friend writing the eulogy when he finds that prosthetic leg. He lost his in the war you know.

There's a pair of crutches that can accompany it too.

Come on mate, that is not even the good ones for the chronic pain which sprang from slipping disks that time a bloke down the road just threw out a perfectly good piano.

Used to be a hoarder, but we have a rule in our house now. If something comes into the house, something goes to the tip/bin/recycling. Like for like. (Excludes brewing equipment, purchased for legitimate reasons). I used to have half a garage full of timber off cuts as I was renovating a house at the time. I realised that most of the off cuts were rubbish and burnt them in the fire that winter. I now buy what I need when I need it.
My wife is a compulsive garage saler. Same rules apply to her.
Cheers
LB

Bizier said:
You mean justify.

When you die, how much of a headache will you leave for those surviving your arse?
That's why God invented farm clearing sales.
Best...bargains...ever.

Bizier said:
You mean justify.

Why would I drive 13kms to Bunnings when I can build it with leftovers or cheap gatherings.

All my stuff is boxed or stacked, so it don't look like a crazy hoarder show. I really don't have that much though, my neighbour has like 50 cars stacked against our boundary fence, his way worse.

Camo6 said:
That's why God invented farm clearing sales.
Best...bargains...ever.
True that!

My great uncle who I kicked outa this house to move in was the worst, we used to let him stay here while I was in QLD. Old girl would turn up and throw his shit in the bin the arvo before bin day, few days later you would notice it back in the shed or in the house, I'm talking useless crap though, like empty paint tins and fruit tins, fuked rusty old bolts, broken hammer handles, piles of worn out tyres and so on. Now it did suck when we moved in clearing this shit, still pops up every now and then.

Out of Interest, who lives in an area where the council does hard rubbish pickups?
We have them here in the Coffs Council area, my Mum is a huge hoarder and is bugging Ballina Council to start doing them, but they claim no other councils do it and it'd be a waste of time because no one would utilise it
I know I dump a ton of crap every time there's a pickup in my area!

Have them here in Clarence Valley Council and had them up in QLD at my old joint Logan and Gold Coast Counclils, they work well, and 99% of the houses in the street had shit chucked out. They even come down my farm road and pick up my shit here. There normally twice a year here and the same up in SE QLD. Can't see why they wouldn't be used. Councils don't even get a chance to pick the shit up, other hoarders grab it as your putting it out the front.

I work for the council now, so I just take all my shit into work and dump it at the depot bins :)

Another thing they done in QLD and still do because I get the rates notices is give free tickets for dumping, and also have free dump days. My old neighbours before that used to stockpile rubbish for months and months because they couldn't afford $6 to dump it, I made them put it in my ute and paid to dump it, twice, as I was sick of looking at it every time I walked out front.

Back