Are you a hoarder?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
SWMBO and I are moving in the next couple of months. I started going through my shed and the amount of gear I have accumulated over the last few years is astronomical. Just stuff I saw and thought "I'll use that next time...." The amount of buckets, brass and stainless fittings, hoses, pots and various shit I have found on eBay, the trading post or crap guys are throwing out.

I'm sure all of you are the same (with good intentions of course :) )

So...... Are you a hoarder??

I look at other peoples 'junk' and think 'look at that slack *******'...

then if I look in my shed... its a case of the pot calling the kettle black...

It takes me ages to throw anything out, one always knows that something that has been lying around for years will come in useful one day, hard rubbish day is a day when my wife is taking stuff out and I am bringing it back in.
Our biggest arguments are held on that day, apart from when she is about to start her period.

I am a hoarder...I like to hoarder lots of beers when I go to the phub.

Used to be, but then moved every year for 10 years. Cured me by year 5. Now I want to buy a house so I can really get stuck in to some REAL hoarding.

I have been a hoarder of sorts for a long time. I really struggle to throw stuff out, tho I am generally ok giving stuff away. I have recently been slowly going through my shed trying to cull stuff. If it hasn't been used in the last year or two its outta here.

Rich

Inside the house, I prefer it so sparse you'd never know someone lived there. But I have a wife, and 3 kids, so forget it. In the shed though....!.

Ummm.....yeah, I guess I am. I recently did an inventory of all the stuff in my garage to remind myself of all the gear I've accumulated over the past 20-odd years & it was quite frightening:

14 x 18/20 L post-mix kegs (a mixture of pin-locks & QD's).
5 x 45L post-mix kegs
1 x 80L post-mix keg
4 x 80L ex CUB kegs

Fermenters, cubes, plumbing, chemicals, grain, hops, electronics...etc..etc....

When I moved back to where I am now, I had 72 Doz. old-style Coopers crown-seal 750ml bottles (yes, that's 864 bottles!) that I gave to a mate to store for me. He subsequently sold them to other brewers & I didn't see a cent (we're still mates, 'though....). Then there's the hundreds & hundreds of 375ml/500ml stubbies that I chucked-out, swing-tops, etc..etc.. You get the idea.

Hi, my name is Martin & I'm a compulsive hoarder...... :blink:

bradsbrew said:
I like to store stuff. I am not a hoarder.
Closet hoarder.

I have a rule, anything that doesn't get used within a year gets chucked or sold. Although im still holding onto that steering wheel and foot pedal for the xbox from 2003 :blush:

Well after 12 years in the same town and seven in the same house I still have a lot of useful stuff. I did throw out a lot though and gave a lot away to hoarders. Now in a large town I can get ready access to more useful stuff to store in my shed.

I dont know how it happens but every 6 months i go through all the stuff downstairs and throw a trailer full out and it looks nice a tidy. But somehow in six months time there is shit everywhere and I have another trailer full, funny thing is its stuff I've had for years. Its like magic that this stuff keeps appearing all over the place.

Doesn't help that there seems to be an unwritten rule at work, "See if Brad wants to take that home before you throw it out" -_-

bradsbrew said:
Doesn't help that there seems to be an unwritten rule at work, "See if Brad wants to take that home before you throw it out" -_-
Ahaha, I know the feeling.
Have 3 couches, 4 chairs, 2 desks, TV, tons of electrical gear, metal posts, stacks of wood etc - All received from worksites.

I really need to 'stockpile' less.

After being raised by a father who is a bona fide bowerbird, I consciously fight the natural tendancy to take potentially-useful objects home.

One

Day

at a

Time

Back