Apple Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinfathisar

Reaction score
Has anyone used dried apple in their beer? If so how did you use it? Or what else could be used to give the apple flavour?

Has anyone used dried apple in their beer? If so how did you use it? Or what else could be used to give the apple flavour?

Looks like no one has tried this, but it sure sounds interesting. If I were to give it a go, I'd be inclined make a lager in the usual fashion and then just to dump a load of dried apple into the fermenter along with everything else. But that's based entirely on a "what's this button do?" principle and not experience.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it tastes.

If you're after apple flavour maybe try dumping in a few litres of preservative free apple juice in there instead. You'll end up with some sort of beer-cider frankenstien...

Hi Sinfathisar,

I recently had a beer taste of green apples due to acetaldehyde, if you can get the yeast to produce this then you will get bucket loads of green apple flavour in your beer. I brewed a Morgans Pilsner with the #20 HBS malt blend and kit yeast I put the flavour down to the ferment temp jumping up to 18C. this was proberbly a factor to it but i believe it was also stress put on the yeast by under pitching. I found the following links on line usful:

http://kotmf.com/articles/flavor.pdf

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

http://brewbeeranddrinkit.com/sour-green-a...-taste-in-beer/

For what its worth, I did not like it, it was a weird combination on my pallet, having said that a mate of mine loved the beer so I ended up giving it to him.

thanks for the ideas! I will only be doing a 10l batch and not for a while yet but food for thought
cheers

i have! i have done EXACTLY the above! made myself a lager, and then put a ring of dried apple into a few bottles, as well s other apple flavoured things into other bottle, just for shits and giggles! they turned out alright, but the dried apple tends to soak up the fluid, and then you get a huge mess of soggy apple in ya brew when it come time to drink it. maybe put them into the primary and then filter off into a secondary before bottling!

i have! i have done EXACTLY the above! made myself a lager, and then put a ring of dried apple into a few bottles, as well s other apple flavoured things into other bottle, just for shits and giggles! they turned out alright, but the dried apple tends to soak up the fluid, and then you get a huge mess of soggy apple in ya brew when it come time to drink it. maybe put them into the primary and then filter off into a secondary before bottling!

w00t!! I was going to do the apple rings in a secondary in a muslin bag as I am halving the original brew - that's the plan anyway :drinks:

if i were to do it again, thats what id do too, i wouldnt tie them up too tight, maybe give them some room for expansion.

Back