Apollo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bump? Anyone got user feedback?

Im thinking a little bit late may be the go for these hops?

mixed with maybe amarillo or centennial? :unsure:

I use Apollo a lot! Really nice for bittering, clean addition up to 30 mins (after that leaves quite a lot of flavour), I use it for bittering in every style. I also really dig it for flavour and aroma, heaps of orange, pith and flesh so perfect for 2IPA, IPA and APA. I have used it with most other american varieties, though I usually only really use chinook, colombus, centennial and simcoe and make it only 1/3 of the total flavour and aroma otherwise it dominates. Seriously love this hop. Need to get some more, down to my last 200g...

I did an experimental Amber IPA and dry hopped with a MASSIVE 28g of Apollo. Sweet Zombie Jesus! The most amazing aroma I'd ever had and I leaned toward calling it as a "dried apricot" type of aroma. The beer was fantastic on tap. (I should point out this was an all grain recipe I did)

I did an experimental Amber IPA and dry hopped with a MASSIVE 28g of Apollo. Sweet Zombie Jesus! The most amazing aroma I'd ever had and I leaned toward calling it as a "dried apricot" type of aroma. The beer was fantastic on tap. (I should point out this was an all grain recipe I did)

Was there supposed to be a sarcasm font with that?

I don't dispute that the beer turned out delicious or anything, but 28g isnt a huuuuuuge dry hopping rate (for a normal ~23L brewski)

Was there supposed to be a sarcasm font with that?

I don't dispute that the beer turned out delicious or anything, but 28g isnt a huuuuuuge dry hopping rate (for a normal ~23L brewski)

Yeah, a bit of tongue-in-cheek. Nonetheless, what struck me was the great aroma when it was tapped.

Just cracked a keg of all Apollo APA, first time using this. Grist of ale, pils, munich II and some caraamber.

Additions at 40, 5, 1, whirlpool to 35 IBUs no chilled. 32gms dry hopped on day 2.

Man, I love this hop! I get mango, nectarine, slight passion fruit aromas, similar flavour profile but with some subtle pine needles.

I do still love you, Simcoe, but you never call anymore.

I'm sold!

Gunna have a bash with Apollo today.. I always seem to have trouble with single hops.. as in I always seem to throw something else in..

The do smell bloody amazing though.. maybe make a whirlpool amarillo addition.

something like this (rough guide, will change, they always do)

Capture.JPG
:icon_drunk:

That recipe looks nice, mate.

After this settling down a bit flavour and aroma wise I'm thinking it would go really well with something like amarillo late, even a heap of cascade in the whirlpool.

The descriptions I can find seem to point to citrus but I am still getting nectarine and mango. Really nice hop, keep it to yourself I reckon, Yob ;)

I might go a centennial and amarillo dryhop, but small as I want to see what this hop delivers and dont want to over ride it.

shhh, it's wabbit season

DH Apollo / Amarillo and leave out the Centennial?

I know several Turkeys who will be saddened by this news but both ducks and wabbits are partying now

DH Apollo / Amarillo and leave out the Centennial?

I know several Turkeys who will be saddened by this news but both ducks and wabbits are partying now

Haha!
I was thinking do the addtional Amarillo/cents at the end of the boil and then dry hop with Apollo alone to see what you think.

I'm going to pour one now, it's great! Your wabbit may vary.

Haha!
I was thinking do the addtional Amarillo/cents at the end of the boil and then dry hop with Apollo alone to see what you think.

I'm going to pour one now, it's great! Your wabbit may vary.

I rekon I'll leave it as it is for this version and see what happens...

may your turkey season bring you much Gobble

Just havin a few of these this arvo.. still young under gas but I rekon for sure Apollo is a hop Im gunna play with a bit more... lovin this drop, will be better in a week, going to re-do this with Citra as a late (in) addition to the recipe posted above..

:icon_chickcheers: who loves finding a new hop to play with :icon_drunk:

I've been using Warrior which has a similarly high (~16%) AA in all my recipes lately as a 60min addition. It's meant to have a pretty neutral flavour profile leaving the late hops to do all the flavour/aroma work. Certainly working well for me, especially in APA's with Amarillo, Cascade, Nelson Sauvin etc. Just curious if anyone has any side-by-side comparisons of using Apollo and Warrior?

Not a side-by-side comparison but I have used both in the same APA recipe for bittering.
Both very neutral.
Prefer Apollo because it can be used as a dual purpose, though I find it a little harsh if used very late in the boil and takes time to mellow. Using it at 30 - 45 mins for bittering leaves a great grapefruit aroma and very smooth bitterness that compliments really well with other U.S, "C" hops...
my 2c

Was reading this with interest and the flavour descriptions sounded similar to a beer I've just tried but couldn't pinpoint the hops. The beer is Magic Hat #9 Not Quite Pale Ale, so I looked up the website and it does indeed have Apollo along with Cascade. This particular brew is only 20 IBU's so I'm assuming the Apollo is a late addition. If you wanted to 'try before you buy' so to speak, I think this beer would give an indication of it's flavour.

edit: just had a bit more of a look around the Magic Hat website, and Apollo is definitely the hop of choice there. It's in nearly all their beers.

Latest posts

Back