Apa Bittering Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelinz

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Trying to put together an APA with what I have. Using Amarillo but don't quite have enough. I have plenty of super pride & Chinook. Would either of these be OK for the bittering??? This would allow me to save the Amarillo for the later additions.

rgds mike

Just drinking a delicious pale ale now which is nice and hoppy from the Vic case swap. It uses superpride for bittering and for dry hopping along with amarillo (dry) so I'd go for that.

Not my beer by the way but I speak for its tastiness.

I have used plenty of Chinook in the past. Would give it the thumbs up.

I'm just drinking an extract partial made with 3 hops, cascade, cascade and cascade.

Turned out superb, even the megaswill version with only 3% abv is a wonderful drop.

Only way to make APA IMHO.

Yeah, I didn't read the OP either.

Chinook probably fits best style wise but SP is supposed to be a pretty clean bittering hop (innit?) so I don't think it would stick out like dog's balls.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that since your recipe isn't already set in stone you're not brewing for a competition - use whichever hop has been your preference in the past. If it were me I'd think about bittering with the Super Pride and maybe using both Amarillo and Chinook for flavour/aroma for a bit more complexity/depth of character. That's just me though.

I'm just drinking an extract partial made with 3 hops, cascade, cascade and cascade.

Turned out superb, even the megaswill version with only 3% abv is a wonderful drop.

Only way to make APA IMHO.

Q: I only have hop types a, b and c. What should I use?

A: Use f.

Go with the highest AA. You will use less. And its only for bittering anyways.

Whatever you use for bittering will lose most of the aromatic compounds that your flavoring and aroma hops would contribute, so if you have to substitute, do it with the bittering hops. If you can, use the Chinook, since it's recommended for APA styles.

from http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/hops :

"Excellent for hopping American-style Pale Ales, especially those brewed to higher gravities."

Don

How about you throw the amerillo in the bin and use a 20g or so of superpride for bittering and then throw all your chinook in the last 5 minutes for a very tasty, LCPA kind of brew?

cheers

Browndog

How about you throw the amerillo in the bin and use a 20g or so of superpride for bittering and then throw all your chinook in the last 5 minutes for a very tasty, LCPA kind of brew?

cheers

Browndog

:icon_drool2: Now that's the go. Still have some Amarillo here to get rid of (wanna swap for Chinook? :p )

Cheers
Gavo.

For what it's worth, I've found that with the 60 minute additions of high AA% hops only the "extreme" flavour ones come through and are noticible for more than just bitterness.

I can taste the likes of Galaxy and Nelson coming through ... but most others it could be "any" hop.

So in general, I (60min) bitter with the highest AA I can get and don't worry about any other of its characteristics. So to the OP, IMHO - use the one with the biggest number on the pack.

Would either of these be OK for the bittering???

I'm gonna be a smart ass and say yes, bittering hops are OK for bittering.
But if you want an APA it's gotta be Chinooks don't it?
What sort of mutant doesn"T like Armadillo?? :wub:

Hi Guys

Trying to put together an APA with what I have. Using Amarillo but don't quite have enough. I have plenty of super pride & Chinook. Would either of these be OK for the bittering??? This would allow me to save the Amarillo for the later additions.

rgds mike
I would personally go with Super Pride for bittering.
Very clean, especially in comparison to American hops, and plenty of bang for your buck.
Keep the Chinook for late additions. :icon_drool2:

If you have plenty of chinook, why not use it all the way. Maybe dry hop with the Amarillo?

cheers

Browndog

Now that sounds like a plan. Still have lenty of both so might do that next time.

Any recipe suggestions?

5kg pale
0.3 wheat
0.1 crystal

20g super pride 60mins
20g chinook 10mins
20g chinook 5 mins

mash at 66C

US-56 ferment at 19C

That ought to do the trick.

cheers

Browndog

I was going to do a IPA, (Fourstars recipe i believe)
But the only hops i have lingering in the freezer are Amarillo, Nelson Sauv, B Saaz, Challenger, Hallatuer (aroma and Mittlefrueh).
The recipe calls for cascade, chinook and simcoe... but could i just give it a diffrent twist by using what i have already?
Im liking the idea of maybe a blend of Challenger / amarillo/ BSaaz ?

Anyone got a better plan? cheers.

Just do it mate. Most of my favourite beers have come from either experimenting, or not having the "correct" ingredients. Just chuck 'em in, and see how it goes. Who knows, maybe could be your house beer?

Cheers!

PS: my guess is that your combo would produce a sorta LCPA style thing - UK hops for bittering, late US style hops.. Call it a NZPA I guess!

Back