Anyone used wlp American farmhouse ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Hey guys, I saw a thread here not long ago where someone mentioned this yeast was good for reasonably quick turnaround funky beers. Anyone used it care to share their experience?. I need some more funk.

I've used it a number of times, with different results. I've currently got 2 different batches of it. The first batch is pretty funky, the second more subdued (I did pop a little lacto in it after about 6 weeks). I put cherrys in the first batch and split the second batch and did mango and strawberrys in the second (separately).

The yeast will go sour but I had one batch that didn't last year.

The last batch of it I did I mashed at 72C and tried to get it to ferment between in 25-27C. Mashing at the higher temp produces longer chain sugars that normal ale yeast can't eat but funky bugs can.

A few points I've found with using this yeast:
- It can vary from brew to brew in both funkyness and how sour it will go
- It can be sour within 6 weeks but not always
- It can ferment pretty quickly, make sure you have a lot of head room in your fermenter and a blow off tube
- On it's own I got bored with it reasonably quickly but it goes well with fruit

Thanks mate, pm'd you. We'll talk funky beers when the next IBU event is on! I'm a recent convert but have been bitten hard haha.

I just liked the idea of something funky being drinkable within 6 months. I've got some oud bruin sitting there at the moment that's going to take ages to see if it's any good. I'm impatient!

I'll be sure to save you some 3726 Mark, but until then this may have to suffice..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuZWkdg2aIQ

Latest posts

Back