Anyone Used Marris Otter In A Lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frog-inasock

Reaction score
Hi,

I have run out of weyermann pils, but have enough marris otter pale ale malt to see me through to making ales in the summer, so it would make sense to use the marris now as its nearly a year old.

Dont mind a bit of malt in my lagers and doesnt have to be ultra pale either. I cant see it being a problem but has anybody advice to the contrary?

maybe a tad more bittering to keep it balanced?

thanks.

Go nuts and maybe yes.

i'm going to give it a go in a schwarzbier B)

cheers

I've used it in American Pale Ales and back in my partial days I used it in 'pseudo lagers' at the rate of about 1.5 kg with a can of goop. I'd go for it.

One side of me says "Cool go for it" the other says"It ain't gunna be a lager... ever". Personally so with Bribies susgestion of of an APA!
Cheers

Chappo

Hi,

I have run out of weyermann pils, but have enough marris otter pale ale malt to see me through to making ales in the summer, so it would make sense to use the marris now as its nearly a year old.

Dont mind a bit of malt in my lagers and doesnt have to be ultra pale either. I cant see it being a problem but has anybody advice to the contrary?

maybe a tad more bittering to keep it balanced?

thanks.

Maybe with 20% corn a little sugar and some rice it would be almost, well,.........like...........Pils :lol:

Screwy

Life's too short for lagers.
Use it in what it was grown and malted for, your favourite ale.

BPA was all Marris Otter. US-05'at hybrid lager temps. Came out dry with no fuitiness and refreshing with the bittering levels from POR, but still had some malty undertones hiding in the back palette to enjoy if you went searching for it. A very tasty hybrid thats right at home with a spicy curry.

I don't reckon the base malt will make a hell of a lot of difference. I'd say the yeast and fermentation temp have more influence, then the hops.

If you wanted to win a comp, I would say don't do it, but if you just want to make a beer that is drinkable then go for it. You will also need to factor in lower efficiency if the bag is a year old.

You could use it where you would use Munich malt, say a Munich Dunkel, maybe in a Vienna.

Life's too short for lagers.

Frog-inasock , I feel it will be a good beer using the Maris Otter ,if not to style .

I have made an APA with MO it was great.

Hey Warra I had never had much luck brewing lagers but I have changed a few things and I have been making lagers recently with good results and what have I been missing out on.

a Dortmunder style German lager
a Bitburger style German pilsner
a German Maibock.

If everyone brewed a good lager or Pilsner they wont look back.

Pumpy :)

Anyone can make an decent ale, not everyone can make a good lager. I always get amused at the people who like to slag off major breweries. Until they have tried, they won't realise how hard it is to brew something as delicate as a lager, where all your flaws are out there in the open, and can't hide behind big malt or hops.

I've still not brewed a pils yet, so this idea is a bit far off for me...

The idea goes, once I've mastered a basic pilsener recipe, of the bohemian variety, I would try an english pils. 100% Maris, 100% EKG, do everything else exactly the same as you normally would for a pilsener.

No idea how it would go, but I reckon it would still be pretty drinkable :chug:

Just unloaded my camera for Mead photos and have some beer shots of BPA-II on the boil after BIAB Mash and of BPA the dry clean lager like.

100% MO, US-05, Hybrid Lager Temps, POR
From a stubbie so I, who like yeast, put it into the poured beer as US-05 is very clean but adding it to the glass you get some of the scrubbed out hop flavours the yeast pulled out during fermentation back into your beer, poured it all in as one big glass, so you don't get to see how clear it is when you pour all but the yeasty bottom of the bottle. With such a dry and cleanly fermented PA, the difference in taste immediately noticeable.
BPA_Stubbie_WithYeast.jpg

Thats BPA-II in the background on the boil. For BIAB its really is very very handy (did I say how handy?) to have a nice big flask and a very large funnel to collect your post mash grain runoff.
BPA2_Drain_Grain.jpg

With the lagers, an all grain European Lager is the best. All my time in the states with cheapened adjunct based Lagers pretty much put me off beer when over there. Handy as I ended up brewing Meads to keep myself busy. BPA is a close match to German Pilsner but with the MO/PA grain as the base and the POR flavour and aroma put out less than moderate imparts. Your classic German Pilsener is very light straw/golden color and well hopped. Hop bitterness is high. Hop aroma and flavour is moderate and quite obvious. It is a well-attenuated, medium-bodied beer, but a malty accent can be perceived. Fruity esters and diacetyl should not be perceived. There should be no chill haze. Its head should be dense and rich.

It helps in the making of hybrid lagers when your tap water is a pretty much spot on match to the Plzensky Prazdroj brewery in Pilsen but any soft water source should be a good start.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I'm currently brewing my first Czech Pilsener and it's going into lagering today.

As a Pommy lager drinker of old, if you wanted to produce a 'historical' British lager beer like Tennents Lager, Wrexham Lager or even the UK versions of Carling etc you could do worse than:

3.5 kg Maris Otter
500g Maize (flaked or Polenta)
300g da sugaz

15g of a high alpha UK hop such as Target with a 90 min boil
a trace, less than 10g of an aroma hop such as Saaz

A Carlsberg style liquid lager yeast or even just Nottingham fermented down to about 15 degrees.

I note that on one of the UK forums I visit there's a discussion going on about interchangeablilty of ale and pils malts but more from the other direction of using pils in ales.

Edit: also on that forum I asked about recipes for Carling etc and they reckoned that in the 60s and 70s most of the so called pom lagers were just very blonde highly filtered ales with heaps of adjunct and that the malts would not have been imported at great expense from over the channel - they were definitely brewed to a price.

I've still not brewed a pils yet, so this idea is a bit far off for me...

The idea goes, once I've mastered a basic pilsener recipe, of the bohemian variety, I would try an english pils. 100% Maris, 100% EKG, do everything else exactly the same as you normally would for a pilsener.

No idea how it would go, but I reckon it would still be pretty drinkable :chug:

i've always thought this might be interesting... would be fairly alt-bier like.

Latest posts

Back