Anyone Tried Esb Quikbrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, I picked up a JSAA Ezybrew from the local HB store for 35 bucks, then stumbled across this post.

Was keen to put it down as the guy at the store was raving about it. Now I don't want to waste my time.

What could I add to it to make it better? Not really concerned about it tasting like JSAA (as by the sounds of it, it doesn't anyway!), just don't want my cash going to waste.

Mate just make it, I could be wrong anyway. What yeast did you get with it?

Great, I picked up a JSAA Ezybrew from the local HB store for 35 bucks, then stumbled across this post.

Was keen to put it down as the guy at the store was raving about it. Now I don't want to waste my time.

What could I add to it to make it better? Not really concerned about it tasting like JSAA (as by the sounds of it, it doesn't anyway!), just don't want my cash going to waste.

Could try steeping grains, flavouring hops, drying it out with invert sugar or part fermenting this one and another similar style brew of your design (not sure what you normally make) and racking 3/4 through for a combined secondary fermentation.

I'm not sure any of those will work - just thoughts.

I wouldn't bother with any of that. You could go to all that effort and it could still be bad, and you've just wasted more time and money.

Just make it I reckon. It may end up half decent who knows...

I would definitely consider one of the first two. I'd always consider one (both, really) of the first two, good kit or bad.

thanks for the suggestions,

I'll just put it down and hide it away for a while. Maybe it will get better with age..

By they way, came with a blank yeast packet, so have no idea what type of yeast it comes with.

The idea is that you get something as easy to use as a fresh wort kit, and in theory almost as good quality, but it is able to be shipped much more easily as it's less than a third of the size. Unlike regular kits these don't need to be dissolved and you can top up with water at the appropriate temperature and pitch straight away.

That's the theory anyway. I think if they actually tasted good they'd be perfect.

But they don't.

Thinking about what you said there I realised that I dont actually understand how kits are made! I'd always assumed that they were vaccuum evaporated whole wort, but just realised they could be made using malt extracts and hop extract additions. If the former, then the 4.5kg kit is essentially a 3kg kit that hasnt undergone the same degree of evaporation. I dont really see how leaving a little extra water in the mix would improve the quality. If the latter, are the 4.5kg kits actually evaporated wort, or are they simply a watery mix of malt extract and hop essences? If so, how would that improve the quality at all?

These kits are very high gravity wort made from a high gravity mash and boil. They are the same as the 15 L wort kits but with 3+ times the gravity.

These kits are very high gravity wort made from a high gravity mash and boil. They are the same as the 15 L wort kits but with 3+ times the gravity.

Yeah that's what I thought. they're still very much a liquid. They are about the consistency of something like chocolate milk I guess. They're not in any way like a liquid malt extract.

Thanks for clearing that up Barry.

Started a Ezybrew Cascade Premium today to 21ltrs, OG 1042, S23 lager yeast, nothing else, just to see how it goes.
Have used the 3kg kits before with good results.
Keep you posted.

Had a look at the Quikbrew Aussie Lager 4,5 liter pack myself.

Looking forward to a review of taste from the people on here saying they have bought one of the kits already.

Hopefully someone who did not add anything extra, just to give an idea of how the actual kit performs.

thanks
Bjorn

I tried the LCPA and it had an OG of 1.032 made up as suggested so I had to add some malt to get it to a reasonable SG. It's a drinkable beer but nothing like LCPA and nowhere near as good other APA's i've made using G & G fresh worts. I won't bother again.

I have done two of these kits..
Pilsener and Aussie Ale...
Both would not go down below 1018..ish
I brewed as per kit instructions...
They both needed something extra to help make them
drinkable....They are a terrible beer..in my opinion... :icon_drool2:
I will not buy again... :ph34r:
Cheers
PJ

Any reports back from those who were putting one down?

I got one (JS Pilsner-style) last weekend on the "pure laziness" principle. Planning on using it to fill the fridge ahead of the Christmas season, so am fermenting it at 16 with a US-05 dry yeast rather than a true lager yeast.

Fermenting away happily at the moment and has got down to about 1012 (topped it up to the full 23l with an OG of 1048). Am toying with the idea of chucking in some Hallatauer (which happens to be lying around) for a bit of dry hopping for a week or so to give it a little "zing". From the sound of the above comments, this might be necessary, but thought I would ask what the recent experiences were like.

My Bro has done a couple of these in the last coiuple of months, with good results, the clone products seem to be a lot darker than the original, but not a bad beer. I am undecided if the premium is worth it though. My 2c.

I'm surprised this post is still running. So I checked my old brew notes and thought I'd reply.

I can only remember an easy drinking beer coming out at the end that got knocked off in one BBQ with the lads.

It seems I steeped 25g of hersbrucker pellets for 10 mins in boiled water and pitched the whole lot onto my previous batche's yeast cake. The yeast was a proculture, WA liquid yeast company, PRO- 78 SAN FRANCISCO LAGER YEAST.

Given it was a lager I let it sit on the trub for a month with no worries.

My FG, according to my notes, got down to 1011 after 1 month in the primary conditioning.

Looking back it is very over priced but I remember it taking me something like 25mins to go from bottling a previous batch to pitching a new beer, just the fermenter and getting on with something else.

time and a place for everything I guess.

happy brews :beer:

I started on coopers kits, tried other kits and once I found these I did not want to go back to regular kits.
Have tried 4.5 litre ESB Quickbrews larger, pilsner and blonde for $25 each from peakhurst brew shop.
Have not tried any on the clone packs, I think they were $32? or so.
Each time I was adding hops and grain infusion packs.
Every time the beer came out great,
True test was when a bunch of non homebrewers spent an evening walking past eskys full of extra dry and VB to smash 2 kegs of the stuff.

One time I had a low SG and had to add some malt to het SG to 1050ish where I like it.
I think they are a great product in that you just tip it into your fermenter without having to scrape extract.
Now that I all grain BIAB I don't use them, still have fond menories though.
Would buy again in case of emergency.
Cheers.

Hi all,
anyone tried the ESB Quikbrew liquid wort. I picked up a 4.5 lt kit of Aussie Lager today as I've really enjoyed the 3kg tin kits they out out.

If anyone has any history with this sing out please.

I have tried the quick brew aussie lager.
I did it in a keg and it was pretty ordinary.
Of all the FWK I have tried it was probably the worst...sorry.

The brewers selection ones are pretty good ...the ezy brew is also not bad .

I would sooner pay for a carton of beer than pay $25 for the quick brew lager.

It had that dodgy cheap home brew taste.

.....edit

Just saw the date of the original post.

Back