Anyone Tried Esb Quikbrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CONNOR BREWARE

Reaction score
Hi all,
anyone tried the ESB Quikbrew liquid wort. I picked up a 4.5 lt kit of Aussie Lager today as I've really enjoyed the 3kg tin kits they out out.

If anyone has any history with this sing out please.

Hi all,
anyone tried the ESB Quikbrew liquid wort. I picked up a 4.5 lt kit of Aussie Lager today as I've really enjoyed the 3kg tin kits they out out.

If anyone has any history with this sing out please.

Hi Duke of Paddy,

I've tried two... "Bees Knees" & "Cascade Premium"

IMHO the Cascade was a waste of money, I was very disappointed with the flavour = none. The Bees Knees on the other hand is nice and getting better with age in the bottle. I won't purchase again because I can make better mixing and matching my own recipes.

That said, I'd recommend sanitising 500g to750g of honey and adding it to the wort if you do a Bees Knees, just to bump up the honey flavour... It's nice but low on Bee juice

One more observation, in my area the price variation for EzyBrew is $34.99 to $49.99.... someones making some good money!

There's my 2 worth

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Thanks Carboy, your comments make me glad I bought some Goldies Hop pellets to add.

Has anyone had the Aussie, would it benefit from extra malts?

I havent seen these before? Whats in them? Is it basically a reduced FWK?

Are they still doing the 3kg tins? I thought these might be a replacement for them.

My LHBS still sells the 3kg tins, I've never tried them before but was recently considering giving one a crack just to smash something quick out instead of the default Coops pale ale can. I've heard a few good things about the 3kg kits, but haven't heard much on the 4.5kg ones.

Picked up a Aussie Lager Quikbrew today..... have not seen these before but thought I would give it a go (lazy)
let you know how I go.

Not expecting much though.

I dont mean to seem ignorant, but whats the point? I can see the value of a tin, the value of a FWK, but the one in the middle?

I'm in this camp. Reads a bit like an extract/specialty brew (particularly cost wise) but in a kit and overpriced. You could design your own extract/specialty or K & B for less money. If you're unsure and need to buy extra hops then surely the money could be better spent?

Might be a good kit but it's mighty pricey and better beer might be made for less.

Having said all that, I usually hate posts that rubbish what the OP is making so I hope it turns out good beer and is either worth it or leads you somewhere else but with a bit of extra experience and knowledge.

I'm in this camp. Reads a bit like an extract/specialty brew (particularly cost wise) but in a kit and overpriced. You could design your own extract/specialty or K & B for less money. If you're unsure and need to buy extra hops then surely the money could be better spent?

Might be a good kit but it's mighty pricey and better beer might be made for less.

Having said all that, I usually hate posts that rubbish what the OP is making so I hope it turns out good beer and is either worth it or leads you somewhere else but with a bit of extra experience and knowledge.

I have done 2 Quickbrews at about $25.00 Each.
APA..could not get gravity below 1020...
Dont taste too good.....
A Pilsener been there for 3 Wks....1018 for the last 3 days....
Dont think i will do anymore...
PJ

Dont taste too good.....
PJ

I had similar experience with the JSAA clone. Stopped at 1016 and wouldn't move.

Maybe it's just these kits. After a month in the bottle it tastes OK, but nothing like the real thing.

That's a massive difference in price. $25 isn't so bad but $50 for a kit is (particularly considering fwk is about $40).

@carboy - where did you see them for 49 dollars?

http://www.thebrewshop.com.au/wort-kits-qu...ts-c-84_82.html

Hi Manticle,

$49.99 at LHBS in Canberra. All I'll say is its not located on the northside of Canberra. Mind you the same shop is selling the new Coppers English Bitter for $21 a can.

At the northside LHBS its $17.95.... At Coles & Big W its only $13.79. With price differences like this it make it had to fully support the LHBS.

Also noticed that one LHBS raised his Wyeast yeast 11g packets from $5ea to $7.95ea (not sure why? I have not seen it sell for that price anywhere else).

I was in Melbourne two weeks ago and called in to Grape & Grain and a Brewcraft shop on the eastside. I noted that their basic ingredient (kits, malt etc) prices were on average $2 to $7 per item cheaper than Canberra prices.

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

re Canberra outlets' pricing:

George's Liquor Stable (Philip) - for hopped & unhopped tins

Dont taste too good.....
PJ

PJ,

They are basically an extract brew and for that reason will not attenuate properly.
ESB brought them out to compete with the Fresh Wort market, but cut down on freight.

Can't see them catching on in a big way

I have a Ezybrew JSAA on tap atm, not overly fussed on it. Nothing even resembling JSAA. If anything it has a more noticable "extract twang" to it than the 3kg kits have. It was around the $35 IIRC.

:icon_cheers:

I dont mean to seem ignorant, but whats the point? I can see the value of a tin, the value of a FWK, but the one in the middle?

The idea is that you get something as easy to use as a fresh wort kit, and in theory almost as good quality, but it is able to be shipped much more easily as it's less than a third of the size. Unlike regular kits these don't need to be dissolved and you can top up with water at the appropriate temperature and pitch straight away.

That's the theory anyway. I think if they actually tasted good they'd be perfect.

But they don't.

I've tried the Ezybrew JSAA clone and the Ezybrew LCPA clone and both were DISGUSTING. I may have had bad luck with both but I doubt it. These were way worse than a coopers supermarket tin of goop and white sugar.

I will not use them ever gain.

But I do see the point of the theory behind them.

I've also had bad luck with fresh wort kits to be honest. Plus they always seem way too week. They say 15L topped up to 20L with water but I reckon most would be better off kept to 15L.

I've tried two fresh wort kits and neither were as good as the partial mashes or extract + steep brews I've done.

EDIT: Just to explain better, if these things did taste 'almost as good' as doing your own partials they'd be great. You could store heaps of them in your fridge or wherever and just open and use them when needed. They'd be the ultimate convenience brew. You could not honestly find something more convenient. Even if your tap water is hot in summer you could cool the kit down to fridge temps and work it out so that the combined liquid was 18 degrees. Obviously not for the real 'brewer' that things pitching the yeast is the last step in brewing, but great for the type of people that'd normally buy kits or fresh wort kits.

I can't think of a more convenient way to make home brew personally. I hope another company takes the concept and makes a better result (if it's actually possible).

Latest posts

Back