Anyone Repalced a Commercial Keg Retaining Ring with a Circlip?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brocasarea

Reaction score
I have two 30 litre commercial kegs (all legal) in my setup and the retaining ring can be a bummer to put in and out all the time. Has anyone replaced this with an appropriately sized circlip? Gone from pic A to B?

I've read online that people have done it but I'd like to get some more thoughts before going and doing anything rash.. with a pressurised vessel... with a spear in it... Opinions?

uglmlhno7ifwzmkamjpv.jpg

internal-circlips-250x250.jpg

Why bother??? Once you take it out just chuck it away. You don't need it.

Tahoose said:
Why bother??? Once you take it out just chuck it away. You don't need it.
It holds the spear in. I've got ones that aren't the screw in spear type.

Keen to know this also. I bought a couple of brand new 50L kegs at auction in March and haven't even been able to get the retaining clips out yet. They are very tight and can't get a good grip with the long nosed pliers.

I have not used the ones from kegking. But you certainly are right to be wary of the quality of their products. A bit like shopping at kmart or bunnings -- some things are fine, most are not.

I just drilled a hole through the stock ring and then I use a punch (ice pick) and some needle-nose pliers to get it out.

Killer Brew said:
Keen to know this also. I bought a couple of brand new 50L kegs at auction in March and haven't even been able to get the retaining clips out yet. They are very tight and can't get a good grip with the long nosed pliers.
Yeah, first go to get mine out were a pain. I ground down an old screwdriver to work at the ring in the notch. Also, there's an o-ring on the sealing surface of the spear, so if you push down with something like the end of hammer you'll have a bit more luck.

It's getting them back in that I don't like. Big pain in the proverbial .

mb-squared said:
I have not used the ones from kegking. But you certainly are right to be wary of the quality of their products. A bit like shopping at kmart or bunnings -- some things are fine, most are not.

I just drilled a hole through the stock ring and then I use a punch (ice pick) and some needle-nose pliers to get it out.
Better safe than sorry I think. I'll source some from a fasteners shop. At least then I know if it's rated and made out of the proper stuff. My impressions on dealing with Keg King is that quality on quite crucial parts is not a priority.

Latest posts

Back