Anyone For Sensational Head?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just completed brew #7 on the Braumeister, and I have been wondering why all my beers have had sensational head. I have narrowed it down to the multi step temp mash I can now do so easy. 54, 62, 71 & 75. Brew number six I just did single infusion at 66 deg C and you guessed it the head was crap. So brew #7 was a choc Porter with the 54 deg C rest for 15 min, and against good advise I added 100g of pure Cacao nibs into the fermenter. Now if anything was going to screw up head retention it would be cacao with 50% fat. Anyway, I just poured my first after it being in the keg for 24 hours. Even after this short time, it was a little under carbed but had a dense thick mousy head about 1/4" thick that lasted right to the bottom of the glass.
So I will be including a 54 degC step in all brews in future.

Steve
Steve did you get this recipe from brewbuilder,gotta place an order with MHB soon anyway??!!
cheers Glenn

[
There are plenty of hot water mixing calculators online, I use one of them

[/quote]

Awesome calculator, cheers.

I completely disagree ferg.

A beer in a comp is judged as a beer and what flavours it has upon the tasting (and how they balance up etc), not how those flavours got there.

Next you'll be saying kits can't be entered in comps.

The beer should be judged on the merits as it presents and judged by the only tool the judge has - their palate. You don't know how someone made a beer so you can't judge based on your presumptions. You taste coffee in a stout? Could be choc malt, roast barley, instant coffee, chicory essence or ground arabica beans. You don't know and if it's done well you won't have any idea. If it's done well, it also deserves to be recognised.

Furthermore, if there is no specialty category offered then people can't enter their beers into said category so it's not even an option. If a porter with cacao nibs beats a porter without, it's going to be based on more than just the cacoa - it needs to be a good beer, fault free, well balanced and judged within the guidelines.
I agree withe you Manticle, who gives a shit what some judges think of my beer at a beer comp. Like I said in another thread. Done comps, got the awards now I make beer to drink. If it tastes good, make it, and most of all DRINK IT.

Steve

Steve did you get this recipe from brewbuilder,gotta place an order with MHB soon anyway??!!
cheers Glenn
No I dont think so. I think I got it from this site somewhere.

8 - Choc Porter
Robust Porter
Type: All Grain Date: 4/20/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l Brewer:
Boil Size: 28.00 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Braumeister
End of Boil Volume 25.00 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 25.00 l Est Mash Efficiency 80.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2000 g Pale Malt (Weyermann) (6.5 EBC) Grain 1 38.1 %
1500 g Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 28.6 %
750 g Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 14.3 %
600 g Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 4 11.4 %
150 g Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 5 2.9 %
150 g Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 6 2.9 %
100 g Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 7 1.9 %
20.00 g Magnum [14.40 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 8 32.2 IBUs
20.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 35.6 IBUs Calories: 487.4 kcal/l
Est Color: 50.1 EBC
Mash Profile

Doing a version of this today.

Due to stock issues i have sub out and replace with the following:

Munich II for Caramunich II
Carafa III for Carafa II
Caraamber for Caraaroma
And added .06 of Roast Barley as I don't have the nibs.

I also don't have any Magnum hops. So I have subbed them for 15g P.O.R and 15g First Gold.

See how I go I surpose!

Carafa III for Carafa II
Caraamber for Caraaroma

I also don't have any Magnum hops. So I have subbed them for 15g P.O.R and 15g First Gold.

See how I go I surpose!

:icon_offtopic:

Wolf, i've got buttloads of Magnum if you want mate. Could do with getting rid of some. Let me know and i'll send you some gratis.

BN

EDIT: Should clarify, it's the US Magnum i have. There's a German one too i think, but mine is the US version. I probably have around 350-400g's of it. Could send you a hundred if you like.

the title of this thread is quite mileading :(

and also +1 for the wheat... EVERY brew Ive done for a long time has had wheat additions... only small (5%ish) though so I might try and bump it up for the next one to 20%

:icon_cheers:

Carafa III for Carafa II
Caraamber for Caraaroma

See how I go I surpose!
Looks great mate, I was meant to use Munich but had to go with Vienna. Health food shops sell cacao nibs. I would just use the RB for colour but thats such a small amount anyway. Also use Carafa SPECIAL if u can, as it has no husks.
Either way it should be sensational.

Steve

I went with chinook at 90 and splat at 10.

Going to use this as my swap for the Vic Xmas in July!

the title of this thread is quite misleading :(
Whilst it might have added a few miles, I corrected that for you but I still have no idea what you mean

10yoxl3.jpg
23s4ur.jpg

:D Yes back to my old tricks

the title of this thread is quite mileading :(

and also +1 for the wheat... EVERY brew Ive done for a long time has had wheat additions... only small (5%ish) though so I might try and bump it up for the next one to 20%

:icon_cheers:

I keep thinking I'm on the other forum, luckily I don't post the pics to the wrong one

As an unaltered person coming from a particular country where male babies have never generally, been altered unless for medical reasons, who doesn't need the services alluded to in the topic title ---- nonetheless I sympathise with the generally over 30s altered :( Australian men who find that those services compensate for the loss of sensitivity concomitant with their original alteration.

So mod me

:rolleyes:

ok, I'm finding this hard to follow. What time are the ladies getting here

As an unaltered person coming from a particular country where male babies have never generally, been altered unless for medical reasons, who doesn't need the services alluded to in the topic title ---- nonetheless I sympathise with the generally over 30s altered :( Australian men who find that those services compensate for the loss of sensitivity concomitant with their original alteration.

So mod me

:rolleyes:

Summed me up. But I feel more sorry for those who are STILL being altered (butchered without concent, to use more loaded language), despite the slap in the face "accessibility" to information/evididence/research contradicting all historical justifications for such procedures. I'm sorry, but only complete ignorance could allow it to still happen without morality and justice being deliberately thrown aside. Not to spark up a debate (probably a non-issue in a gender biased forum anyway), but it is a subject I feel strongly about; not so much for my own loss, but simply out of the principal of righteousness: to quaff one's freedom of choice while unable to speak for oneself removed in a barbaric and permanently life-altering manner would rattle my chains regardless of my status. /End off topic rant.

I think I may have upped the ante for moderation. Touche, Bribe G

From the tone of that post you're not much for "freedom of choice" haha

Back to beer

And to think when I named this topic the only other work I could think of for (beer) head was foam. I hate how the yanks call it foam. Foam is what the old esky is made of or whats inside the kids surfboards or what fire trucks use to extinguish oil fires, not beer head. So sorry if I got a few of you all excited.

Steve

Latest posts

Back