Anyone For Sensational Head?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Summed me up. But I feel more sorry for those who are STILL being altered (butchered without concent, to use more loaded language), despite the slap in the face "accessibility" to information/evididence/research contradicting all historical justifications for such procedures. I'm sorry, but only complete ignorance could allow it to still happen without morality and justice being deliberately thrown aside. Not to spark up a debate (probably a non-issue in a gender biased forum anyway), but it is a subject I feel strongly about; not so much for my own loss, but simply out of the principal of righteousness: to quaff one's freedom of choice while unable to speak for oneself removed in a barbaric and permanently life-altering manner would rattle my chains regardless of my status. /End off topic rant.

I think I may have upped the ante for moderation. Touche, Bribe G
I too have a handsome knob rather than a droopy, sheath encased knob and am thankful for it. My missus says that they are much more attractive if they have had a snip, apparently she has seen a few. Oh and she is a nurse and predominately works in old folks homes and washes a lot of crusty cheese from uncircumcised old dudes. She says it is disgusting and is a prime source for infection for old folks who don't have the energy or mobility to clean it properly. I guess it would be the same with children. Not all of these 'not able to clean my knob properly' old dudes live in nursing homes. So yes medical evidence etc may dispute the necessity of the snip but in the real world, my missus has seen the stinky cheese.
I should imagine that I have lost a bit of sensitivity with having had some skin removed but the up side to that is my girlfriends' have usually always 'arrived' before me; chicks dig that. ;)

And to think when I named this topic the only other work I could think of for (beer) head was foam. I hate how the yanks call it foam. Foam is what the old esky is made of or whats inside the kids surfboards or what fire trucks use to extinguish oil fires, not beer head. So sorry if I got a few of you all excited.

Steve

Does that mean if you have an overcarbed beer or unbalanced taps you get excessive heading? :icon_cheers:

I got no idea how this thread got onto old men with crusty dick cheese, but apologies anyway.

a.JPG

back on topic :lol:

Need to get this thread off topic again and discuss beer. Anyone put nibs in the boil or mash?
I think I would not like to put nibs in the boilas they have 44.7% fat I would not like to release that into the beer. At least by adding them to the fermenter its cool and maybe that keeps the fat from coming out of the nibs into the beer.
Also the cacao only imparts a very soft choc flavour so I dont know how this would be affected in the boil or mash.

Steve

You can use cocoa powder. Like all things, while similar the nibs are different enough to give a different flavour - one that I prefer, having tried cocoa in the past.

I think I would not like to put nibs in the boilas they have 44.7% fat I would not like to release that into the beer. At least by adding them to the fermenter its cool and maybe that keeps the fat from coming out of the nibs into the beer.
Also the cacao only imparts a very soft choc flavour so I dont know how this would be affected in the boil or mash.
Fair enough. I brewed up an Oatmeal Stout yesterday and cubed it, going to dry nib that. Used 2 x 85 % Lindt in a triple batch as well.

I had a Mildura Brewery Choc Hops Stout a couple of days back - very fresh choc taste, much like Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. Has a real 'hot chocolate' type of flavor - is that what to expect from Nibs or is that Cocoa?

I would still bey that the big breweries would use some type of choc eessence or flavouring. I never got good results with Lindt choc or coco powder, and like I said before I would never again put anything with high fat contents in the boil. It is a head killer.

Young's uses an essence as far as I'm aware.

Possibly depending on how many nibs you add but dry nibbing will just give a very pleasant choc character - it won't be full on, in your face chocolate, something I prefer anyway. Complements things like chocolate malt well.

I'd rather drink a hot chocolate or nibble a nice piece of chocolate while drinking my beer than overdo it. I like most of Young's beers but am not a huge fan of that over the top choc syrup taste in the stout.

I'd rather drink a hot chocolate or nibble a nice piece of chocolate while drinking my beer than overdo it. I like most of Young's beers but am not a huge fan of that over the top choc syrup taste in the stout.
It's not a taste I really associate with beer either TBH, thought Youngs was an OK drink but not something I'd get again. The Mildura Brewery Choc Hops Stout had a really similar choc note to it, was pretty impressed with it but probably wouldn't get it again for the same reason, just prefer a stronger Stout. Great drink for the females who like dark beer I would imagine. Certainly worth buying one to say you've tried it though, mouthfeel etc was really nice.

Yesterday I kegged my first Stout with Cacao Nibs :icon_drool2: . It was in the Primary for about 10 days and it went to a secondary for two days to get the remaining nibs etc out. Rolled it around on the Co2 for about a minute and hooked it up to Nitro planning to just leave it for a few weeks. So I couldn't help myself and thought I'd have a try - ended up having 3 schooners :icon_drunk: . I used 2 Lindt 85% in a triple batch and 125g of Nibs per fermenter. The Lindt is well and truly present this time as are the nibs - I used a lot more smoked malt and that seemed to lift the chocolate. Can't believe I've got three batches of it, going to be a heavy couple of months....

It's a great recipe, and an even better beer. Just wait another few weeks, if u can, it will be sensational.

I would still bey that the big breweries would use some type of choc eessence or flavouring. I never got good results with Lindt choc or coco powder, and like I said before I would never again put anything with high fat contents in the boil. It is a head killer.

We use cocao nibs in the boil, in the fermenter, aged for months in oak barrels & a combination of all 3 - Head on our beer in all cases has been excellent...

cheers Ross

It's a great recipe, and an even better beer. Just wait another few weeks, if u can, it will be sensational.
I've still got another cube so maybe half of that will go into bottles for a six month rest. Plus there was 2 kegs yesterday, I'll drink the first and leave the second for at least 4-6 weeks (famous last words).

I see what you mean about not boiling the nibs, it's kind of a dry taste, very nice. I might toast them a little next time as suggested. Great stuff, glad I tried it :icon_cheers:

We use cocao nibs in the boil, in the fermenter, aged for months in oak barrels & a combination of all 3 - Head on our beer in all cases has been excellent...

cheers Ross
Oh ok - posted before I saw your reply Ross. I'd wondered if they could be boiled for a more intense flavor, might try that next time I brew a Stout...

cheers Ross

This is interesting Ross, can you give more details?
For instance, how long are they in the boil? What sort of amount g/L would you use? Do they go in as-is or would you recommend crushing the nibs or some sort of other pre-treatment? Do you skim during the boil, would this removes the fats with the coagulated components on the surface? Are there fining agents that you use that would bond with the cocoa fats?

Can you account for how you are able to get a good head on the beers despite the potential presence of the cocoa fats? Is it good head or good, persistent head? I know that the presence of saliva can be enough to kill the head on a beer in a glass in some circumstances, so I am genuinely interested in the cocoa nibs. Maybe it is just a case of, ok if used in small amounts?

This is interesting Ross, can you give more details?
For instance, how long are they in the boil? What sort of amount g/L would you use? Do they go in as-is or would you recommend crushing the nibs or some sort of other pre-treatment? Do you skim during the boil, would this removes the fats with the coagulated components on the surface? Are there fining agents that you use that would bond with the cocoa fats?

Can you account for how you are able to get a good head on the beers despite the potential presence of the cocoa fats? Is it good head or good, persistent head? I know that the presence of saliva can be enough to kill the head on a beer in a glass in some circumstances, so I am genuinely interested in the cocoa nibs. Maybe it is just a case of, ok if used in small amounts?
+1 for what malted said,I'd be very interested to see/hear!!! :beer: :beer:

Latest posts

Back