Anyone For Sensational Head?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We add at the start of the boil & grind the nibs through our grain mill, we boil for 60 mins & don't skim. When "dry nibbing" we process the nibs through a coffee grinder to a powder for maximum extraction. The head on these beers matches that of any other similar style not using nibs.
Generally used at approx 110gm per 20L but have gone much higher. Never noticed any coagulated components on the surface, but then we always draw from the bottom (as you would) leaving the surface layer with the break material in the boiler or the yeast in the fermenter. If you are kegging, you are always drawing from the bottom, so again, any surface layer will not be noticed to the very last drop. That said, i've never noticed any surface film regardless. If you are bottling, then you may have to be carefull not to bottle the surface film if there is one.

Sorry, I don't know the science, just practical experience.

cheers Ross

Nibs are about 40% fat. Malted barley is 1.2% fat.

The composition of hot break is 1-2% fat; cold break 0%.

My guess is the kettle floccing agents probably take care of the chocofat.

Hey Manticle, see ing as you have cocoa down pat, have you any idea of colour contributions (ball ParK) in cse you missed my other thread.

PS...OP or MODS is it possible to edit the heading of this thread to include the word chocolate or cocoa...I think the search function only looks at the topic title, making it a right little bugger to find again.

Hey Manticle, see ing as you have cocoa down pat, have you any idea of colour contributions (ball ParK) in cse you missed my other thread.

PS...OP or MODS is it possible to edit the heading of this thread to include the word chocolate or cocoa...I think the search function only looks at the topic title, making it a right little bugger to find again.
This thread was never meant to be about cacao nibs or choc, it was all about doing a 54 deg C rest on the BM and getting "sensational head" every time.
All my brews now, even ales get a multi step mash with 15mins at 54 deg C.

I did see the other thread but in terms of numbers I can't answer your question. I have used cocoa and cacao nibs but only in porters and stouts.

Only trying it in a pale beer would give me the experiential info that you're chasing. Using cocoa or cacao with a whole lot of black, RB and Choc won't give much info that's of use to you.

Back