Any Other Hobbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
black_labb said:
One hobby, cycle touring is getting the better of me lately. Being thinking/planning a ride along the BAM railway maintenance road in siberia. It's about 4000km of (here's a link about a trio of motorcyclists attempting it http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533442 ).

I'm thinking about putting off more of university and other hobbies to ride the road. I'd be pretty chuffed to end up being the first person on a pushbike to have finished it, and one of less than 10 people to do the whole route on any vehicle since the collapse of the soviet union. On the other hadn there is a reason so few people travel the road (actually more like a firetrail with collapsed bridges and lots of mud)

I think I am a problematic optimist, though failing something drastically might bring me back down to earth
Are you going for the challenge of being the first, or for the girls in the photos? Or perhaps the challenge of the girls in the photos!

Either way, looks like it'd be an awesome trip.

thedragon said:
Are you going for the challenge of being the first, or for the girls in the photos? Or perhaps the challenge of the girls in the photos!

Either way, looks like it'd be an awesome trip.
In that country, you gotta get all muddy first first. Then when you're really muddy, you get the shower. Then when you get the shower, then you get the women.

In all seriousness I think it would mostly be an enjoyable adventure with some spots where you grit your teeth and just get on with it. I just hope that those spots don't last for a week. Being the first to do it is more of a novelty, but it could be good motivation on bad days.

Black_labb,

Photo in post #147 show's you could grab some Russian hops along the way. :)

At the moment I'm managing to drop brewing down the list of hobbies.
I recently sold my Marshall 1/2 stack & old fender mustang for a reasonable profit.
While cranking them for the last time, I've also got my old combo out and have the kids interested.
Also put a deposit down on a 12 string guild. Can't wait till it arrives.

I will very shortly passing on an 75 mini Cuban that I stripped years ago and no longer have the time to work on to a mate from work.

This thing keeps me busy
948 bored to 1046, 998 Cooper pistons, Cooper S cam, custom extractors, 5 speed...

2014-03-29 17.01.44.jpg

Good thread.
My hobbies have fallen since my kids came along but my real passion is music. Play the drums, but also guitar and have a recorded my own songs on my personal recording unit that I forked $1700 out for when I was 17. Hard earnt, considering I bought my Pearl Export select kit the year before. All this from being a $5.20/h checkout chick. Since moving I wanted to set up a dedicated music room in the shed but we want to move again and can't justify the cost.
Other love is speaker building and audio. Speakers are a ripper blend between craftsmanship and electronics, and like brewing there is a result which can really be appreciated.
Sport has dropped off through the years (thanks to living in remote towns) but I love my touch footy and hockey. My family, not so much.
I was a shooter years back and really love the outdoors. Spent a lot of time on properties and gun clubs through my teen years with my old man, and must do the same with my kids. Field and game was my forte and came 2nd in Aus for sub juniors, but gave it away as soon as I got a job because I had to work weekends. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Ducatiboy stu said:
This thing keeps me busy
948 bored to 1046, 998 Cooper pistons, Cooper S cam, custom extractors, 5 speed...
attachicon.gif
2014-03-29 17.01.44.jpg
Love the old Morris cars perhaps its the first car I remember as a kid that my parents owned.
I would love to have one to convert to a timber tray top ,nice set of mags etc etc.

Bluegrass mandolin picking, blowing blues harp and jug, dodgy rhythm guitar. Occasional fishing when I can. All of these work pretty well with brewing and beer.

Drawing, sculpture, making fucked up industrial soundscape, cooking, futsal and lifting weights.

Listening to music and reading are also worthwhile pursuits (I buy a lot of music, books less often)

Hmm the hand is strong in all you !
Not much time for hobbies when your penchant is correcting the wrongs on Ahb !

Fark , even the crows tell you

Fark

I've had so many in the past that I won't bother mentioning, I always love to try something new.

The major ones that I've been actively participating in for a while are Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, wake boarding and four wheel driving.

Love my little beast. Suzuki Grand Vitara that's been lifted amongst the other typical go slow parts. There's not many places it won't go and it's still an awesome city car.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396131640.143849.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396131544.245190.jpg

Edit: Dave70's dirt bike pic is really making me miss my CR500R. Shouldn't have sold that, but I would probably have lots more broken bones if I did haha.

Latest posts

Back