Another News Story Giving Homebrew A Bad Name

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
today herlad sun - man dies drinking homebrew

ok so the guy did make it from vegimite :icon_vomit: but it still gives us a bad name. i had someone at work come tell me about the story. it went something like "hey theres a story on the herlad sun about a guy dying from drinking homebrew, and you homebrew right". yeah i live in area where liquor is banned bycasuse its an indiginous area and make vegimite death liquor. knob.

anyways. i coulf think of better things to make alc from than vegimite, like sugar water and yeast.

Here is our local homebrew fiasco. Damn liars anyway.

http://www.katu.com/news/97269679.html

The just of the story is after 20 some to 30 some years the beer and wine competition at our state fair is no longer allowed. Seems like state law says home brewed beer and wine can only be consumed at home.

Odd thing about the wine competition. I though they just swished it around and spit it out. How is that consuming the wine?

Definition: Homebrewing; making alcohol out of anything i can get my hands on and hoping i dont die. :ph34r:

Charles Darwin
Creator of the Darwin awards of natural selection

It's a pity he didn't post his recipe and tasting notes here.

Q:
i had someone at work come tell me about the story. it went something like "hey theres a story on the herlad sun about a guy dying from drinking homebrew, and you homebrew right".

A: No, I am a craftbrewer.

Can we start that debate again please.....? :p

A: No, I am a craftbrewer.

And he was a Kraftbrewer.

Thing is it really isn't stories like this that give people a poor impression of homebrew. It is Uncle Barry with his 3kg sugaz, 28degC rocket fuel forcing it on to any poor sap who'll try it.

It doesn't actually say what he died from does it? If a guy has a glass of water and then jumps of a cliff, the headline could read "Man Dies After Consuming Town Water". Such headlines are used to demonise all sorts of things.

For all we know, the brew might have been quite tasty. Am I the only one who's considered making a Bovril stout? :D I know that a lot of people routinely use vegemite as a yeast nutrient. I'm sure this brew wasn't 3 pounds of vegemite and 5 gallons of water. I don't know how many infections actually produce enough toxic byproducts to kill a person, but my guess is that the most toxic part of ANY brew, infected or not, is the alcohol, and if what this man drank contributed to his death in any way, I'm sure it would have been due to the alcohol .

people are stupid. there were cases yeasr and years ago of people heating vegimite up until it was liquid and then shooting up with it. idiots didnt think very far ahead as it solidified in their veins and other issues.

it was probably just alcohol poisoning, regardless of what it was made of or how.

and nothing to do with the heart defact mentioned in the article.

people are stupid. there were cases yeasr and years ago of people heating vegimite up until it was liquid and then shooting up with it. idiots didnt think very far ahead as it solidified in their veins and other issues.

it was probably just alcohol poisoning, regardless of what it was made of or how.
What's so wrong with just having it on toast? Or in a cup with hot water?

You've got to be kidding me. That is pretty f@&ked up.

From what I remember of that story, people used to do it in jail. Could have been an urban myth though.

I know that a lot of people routinely use vegemite as a yeast nutrient.

Does this work? I thought there was things like beef stock and copious amounts of salt in vegemite? Wouldnt this be bad for your batch? How much are we talking about using in say a 23L batch?

Am I sensing a challenge/competition here? Best beer recipe using vegimite as the theme ingredient?

Pig's arse! I'll be drying it out and doing rails of the stuff.

As I understand it, vaginamite is made from beer brewing by-products ie dead yeast, along with a shitload of salt. I can't see how that would be a good yeast nutrient.
Also I am impressed and a little surprised that within a single page a thread can go from 'vegemite homebrew kills a man' to 'let's try vegemite in our homebrew'. Good luck with that

Latest posts

Back