Ancient Nubians Drank Antibiotic Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article. Although I prefer my beer not to be sour and get my antibiotics from the GP :mellow:

Pffft, sour beer (lambics) is awesome and pills from the GP suck

This to me seems like the best way to treat illness :rolleyes: :lol:

What's a Nubian?

(Expecting two types of responses here ;) :)...)

It's pronounced Noobian :lol: :p

What's a Nubian?

(Expecting two types of responses here ;) :)...)

Royalstarship.jpg

Try reading the Stephen Buhner "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" book. Entertaining reading with some wacky recipes that date back 15th century and beyond!
Never brewed one but Wolfys recent Vic. Randy Mosher case swap entry has inspired me to pull the book out and maybe do a "chicha", not all is white and powdery ex Bolivia. Soucing the ingredients could be an effort and also this little bit of preparation

The maize is moistened with water, rolled into a small ball and placed in the mouth. It is thoroughly worked with the tongue until saturated in saliva. As it becomes saturated, it begins to take on a sweetness as the ptyalin converts the starch to sugar. It is then pressed by the tongue against the roof of the mouth to form a single mass, popped loose and taken out to dry in the sun. This saliva-malted maize is called muko.

It goes on to say you need 2/3rds muko and 1/3rd unmalted corn, local squash and local pricly pear cactus round out the specialties :lol: The rest of the recipe says the end mash/mixture separates into 3 layers, liquid,jelly and ground grain. The liquid is the part we want, boiled for 3 hours because wonder why all that saliva. The middle part is slowly cooked up in a shallow pan and cramelised and the bottom ground grains pressed. Fermented in poruos clay where previous batches have been fermented hence fermentation begins with the old yeast. 6 days later its right to go!

Now lets churn one of them out for some nemisis judge on the "specialties category" :lol:

Back