Amarillo Apa Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick one guys. I have a brew in primary at the moment that was just a partial (not much spare time but not much beer left either!) with 1.7Kg Light Extract, 1.5Kg Wheat extract, 250g steeped crystal. NB @60mins to 33IBU's and 1/2g per Litre Amarillo@ 10 mins and another 1/2g per Litre at flameout.

My question is regarding dry hopping. I am intending on kegging this brew (as the keg is running low!) and thought I might give dry hopping my first try. I wondered what everyones thought would be on using a 'tea ball' like the picture by hooking the chain around the dip tube in the keg and leaving it in there whilst drinking the brew? Has anyone done this before?

Also just on that, if I was to dry hop 18L in the keg using this method, how much of Ross's Amarillo (8.5% I think) would be sufficient? Be gentle.... it's my first time! :ph34r:

Cheers :beer: ,

JS

View attachment 7645
I've these before and, as Jye found, I also found out about pellets - Forget it! As for plugs I have used one plug in the tea ball - mine is about tennis ball size and that's about all you can fit once they swell up. First time I used it with the plug I just put it in secondary. Unfortunately all the crud that settles out covered the tea ball and seemed to stop the infusion of the hop aroma.

Second time I used some crochet cotton (thin fishing line would suffice) and tied around the grommet for the airlock and let it dangle in the fermenter. This woorked much better in my opinion.

As for placing in the keg, your turn for experimenting and letting the rest of AHB know how it goes. :D
Cheers

Steve

Going to pick up my gear today.
I have been considering trying a single infusion mash to run the gear in. Once I have set it up.
A few weeks in planning but here is as recipe inspired by Kaboobys APA but with amarillo.

APA Kamatti

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.85
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 12.98
Anticipated SRM: 6.6
Anticipated IBU: 33.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 51.61 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG 10.16 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 3 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
65.5 5.80 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.034 3
19.2 1.70 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.010 2
6.8 0.60 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.003 28
5.6 0.50 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.003 4
2.8 0.25 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.002 2

Exract represented as SG.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
20.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.70 15.7 60 min.
15.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.50 6.7 60 min.
10.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.70 7.1 45 min.
15.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.50 3.4 30 min.
5.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.70 0.7 5 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Ingleburn Town water (soft pH: 7.5-8.0)

May adjust water with gypsum.

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 8.85
Water Qts: 30.11 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 28.49 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.22 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 70
Mash-out Rest Temp : 76 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 40

Total Mash Volume L: 34.40 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Tips/ pro and cons welcome
Cheers :)

I use the ones from ross, havent noticed any hops getting out of them.

I make sure I give it a good inspection before it goes in, but I havent left any in for an long stay in the keg. normally a week or two tops.

Though I'm planning an IPA to have a couple of these in there for a while.

Matti, I'm not sure exactly what kind of beer you are after which makes it hard to comment on the recipe. :huh: I'd add more hops later in the boil than you have there. I'd say you could add at least 15g of Cascade and Amarillo at 15 and 0 for an APA. But that's assuming you want a fairly hoppy flavour and aroma.

I'll add a couple first glance thoughts.

Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 12.98
Anticipated SRM: 6.6
Anticipated IBU: 33.6

You could closer to 40IBU for a pale ale at 1.053.

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
65.5 5.80 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.034 3
19.2 1.70 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.010 2
6.8 0.60 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.003 28
5.6 0.50 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.003 4
2.8 0.25 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.002 2

The vienna won't really make much difference if you left it out and just upped the ale malt being its only 5%. Vienna is generally a malt you'd use more like a base malt. Off course you can leave it in no worries aswell just pointing out it won't make a difference.

The only real thing with this recipe to me is I really don't like that JWM caramalt, I think it was wes that said it was designed for use in small amounts in aussie swill etc.
5% of a better quality medium crystal would be the way I'd go, either bairds or weyerman caramunich II.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
20.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.70 15.7 60 min.
15.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.50 6.7 60 min.
10.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.70 7.1 45 min.
15.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.50 3.4 30 min.
5.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.70 0.7 5 min.
Yeast

Not really much in the way of finishing hops for a APA really for my liking.

Anyway as is the recipe will make a reasonble beer for sure, just adding what i'd change.

Not really much in the way of finishing hops for a APA really for my liking.

agree...ppppphfhttttt 5 gms at 5 mins? Whats that 3 pellets?, hardly worth re-setting the timer - chuck in 15-20gms each of cascade and amarillo at 5 mins B)

edit....and the same at 0 mins

generally with APA,s as the time remaining to boil decreases the hop adition size increases.

as said before..... add 20g of each at flame out

also i would drop the pilsner and use the vienna instead, great bready malty character base malt.

drop the caramalt and go with something like the bairds light crystal at 100 EBC. Its yummy stuff too. beautiful sweet malt to ballance out those hops.

cheers

Cheers all.

I will properly change the JWP for Wyermanvienna and see what crystal available when I get to brew this.
I Also planned to dry hop this with 1g amarilloe and 1g Cascade per litre o second for a week.
Thinking to up the IBU with amarillo at befinning and finnishing hops a little of both say 5g of each @ o min.

Probably will down size the batch to a 30 litre as my mash tun is a 36 litre Keep Cool cooler.
It will be while before it all ready to go.
over and out cherio all ;)

i have always much prefered the aroma from a flame out addition than the grassyness of dry hopping.

just me though

10g of hops in 30 liters doesnt make it to the APA class..... you need big hop flavour and aroma

anyway...... will be a nice beer

cheers

I'm with tony on this.. I preffer an upp'd 0min addition to dry hopping.

1 gm per litre is a good starting point - I tend to use 2.5gm/L.
I believe Jye is trialling one of these. For your first go, I'd be rcommending dry hopping now, either in the primary or secondary - keg after minimum 3 days, preferably 5.

cheers Ross

I just dry hopped at the rate of 1gm litre based on this post and Franko recommendation in the Little Creatures Bright ale we made

I crushed the Amarillo pellets in a motar and pestle tand mixed them with some beer and poured ino the fermenter as it annoys me when they float, these sunk immediately.

hope it works .

Pumpy :unsure:

Anyone tried letting the hops for dry hopping sit for 24h in the open at room temperature in a shallow bowl to drive off the myrcene, as per the instructions given by the hop guru in an episode of Basic Brewing Radio?
Supposedly it makes a big difference to the aroma. However, I'm quite partial to the grassiness myself.

MFS.

The results of dry hopping amarillo after a week has been sensational and the aroma is unreal.

Franko

Here goes.
I planned a brewday on Monday but SWMBO decided otherwise.
After a gruelling 12 hour day I decided it was time to brew since my octoberfest failed and turned into pine apple juice.
(Stressed and infected yeast plus inadequate aeration.)
Well thats my story and I stick to it.

Here's my partial attempt APA

30L

1.5 kg Morgans' unhopped pale LME
1.5 kgs Blackrocks' Blond LME
2 kgs JWM ale malt
150g Dark brown sugar
200g JWM Crystal (140)
25g Dark Chocolate malt.

75 min boil

20g cascade 3%AA 60 min
20g Amarillo 9.5% AA 60 min
15g cascade 3%AA 20 min
15g Amarillo 9.5% AA 20 min
15g cascade 3%AA flame out
15g Amarillo 9.5% AA flame out

Mash the grain @ 65
boiled LME last 5 min

I put into Promash and came out around 1.047 and 34 Ibu

gotto finnish the job now.
I got to try out my mash tun and immersion heater. make thing a lot easier I tell you

I am not intending to use broadband width for a brew-log :rolleyes:
Just a question or two.
I browsed through previous post on threads.
Looking at the desperate recipe I put in, it lacks of malt flavor.

I tried the hydro sample just then at 1.010 and the Amarillo is overpowering but no grassy affect at all.
(I ran the cooled wort through hop-sock into fermenter inspired by some hop filter threads.)

Are these assumption OK

1. Hops like Amarillo for flavor need to be use sparingly/ to taste.

2. Use a yeast that balances the malt your are using (US-05 is out)

3. Prime with dry malt when all things fail, if you're bottling!

Matti

Just put this one. Tomahawk for bittering tho cause i dont like the way amarillo bitter's.

Batch Size: 31.00 L
Boil Size: 39.21 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 10.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 37.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.20 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9Grain 90.0 %
0.80 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 10.0 %
25.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.40%] (60 min) Hops 32.7 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo [8.60%] (25 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo [8.60%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (US56) (DCL Yeast #S-05Yeast-Ale

should be :chug:

Matti

1. Yep, you'll need to use hops to taste. That doesn't necessarily mean sparingly though, as some of us love them hops. :icon_drool2:

2. I think that's a good point, although US-05 does work for APAs, but if you are looking for a malty beer, I don't think it works very well.

3. I'm not sure the dry malt will make that much difference, but it's worth a shot. One thing I think you will find is that the beer will taste more malty once it's carbed up. So don't give up on this beer just yet. And if the hoppiness is too much for you at first, give it a few more weeks in the bottle. It's partly an acquired taste though, so if you have enough hops, you'll grow to love them. :icon_chickcheers:

And if the hoppiness is too much for you at first, give it a few more weeks in the bottle. It's partly an acquired taste though, so if you have enough hops, you'll grow to love them. icon_chickcheers.gif

cheers.
flavor certainly does change with bottling and allow for more complexity as i store them in garage.

Never given up on a beer up yet....

Back