Amarillo Apa Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's basically what we all seem to be asking Kong. When you read recipes/discussion of FWH some brewers seem to count the bitterness as less than a full boil which doesn't make sense to me - I've just always used full boil figures when calculating and the resulting beers have tasted as I'd have expected in terms of that level of predicted bitterness. Just trying to get to the heart of the matter - why do some brewers count less extraction when FWH? :)

Shawn.

Ross said:
I always thought they added full bitterness & it was only mash hops that didn't...
As you say, they're in there for the full boil, so I don't see how there could be any difference :blink: ... But keen to see any evidence to the contrary...

cheers Ross
[post="107094"][/post]​

Yeah, I agree, but in Beersmith I'm pretty sure even the mash hops are entered as being in the boil for the full time - its just a reduced utilisation factor for mash hopping since the clear majority of the actual hops are left in the mash tun.

Kong, FWH will yield a bee's dick more bitterness than a regular boil (of equivalent time). And yeah, the beauty of it is the smoother bitterness. I think its a great method. If you have dual purpose hops (like NB or Amarillo etc) its a great way to bitter - more hop flavour, and smoother bitterness. Sounds like a win win to me! :D

back through the thread i recall a post talking of FWH (i think Johnno) to 25 or 30 IBU's and he believed it ended up much more like 50 IBU's....
so i guess that answers it. hmmmmm

Ah, a good old FWH argument. :lol:

By the late, great Dr. George Fix. This may be worth a read :beerbang: ;

here

Warren -

KoNG said:
back through the thread i recall a post talking of FWH (i think Johnno) to 25 or 30 IBU's and he believed it ended up much more like 50 IBU's....
[post="107101"][/post]​

I haven't re-read the post you are talking about but from memory this was one of the situations where the FWH time was reduced to less than the boil time. So the bitterness calculation was much lower (say 25-30 IBUs), when if the hops were in fact boiled for the full time (which they would have to be by definition) the bitterness would have been much greater (say around that 50 IBU mark). The bitterness extraction from FWH additions are greater than with a regular boil, but the difference is nowhere near 20-25 IBUs. It would be maybe 1 or 2 IBUs max.

:beerbang:

warrenlw63 said:
Ah, a good old FWH argument. :lol:

By the late, great Dr. George Fix. This may be worth a read :beerbang: ;

here

Warren -
[post="107102"][/post]​

Yep that nails it Warren... nice link.

T.D. said:
I haven't re-read the post you are talking about but from memory this was one of the situations where the FWH time was reduced to less than the boil time.
[post="107105"][/post]​

Yes your right i believe it was, which was my point. that FWH rates should not be reduced to 30-20 minute additions :blink:

Anyways.. to get back on topic, my APA next weekend will be FWH'd with NB and a little amarillo. amarillo to finish everywhere else. :D

bindi said:
by the way, how do you guys do that link thingie <_<
[post="107109"][/post]​

when you reply there is a few grey boxes above... one of them is the Hyperlink box it looks like this http://
B)

KoNG said:
[post="107101"][/post]​

Hi KoNG,
Not me as I have not used the FWH method yet.

But I can highly recommend Amarillo. If you like the US hops then this one is a beauty.

johnno

KoNG said:
T.D. said:
I haven't re-read the post you are talking about but from memory this was one of the situations where the FWH time was reduced to less than the boil time.
[post="107105"][/post]​

Yes your right i believe it was, which was my point. that FWH rates should not be reduced to 30-20 minute additions :blink:

Anyways.. to get back on topic, my APA next weekend will be FWH'd with NB and a little amarillo. amarillo to finish everywhere else. :D
[post="107111"][/post]​

Sorry mate, I think I misunderstood your post a tad there - thought you were saying that FWH yielded almost double the IBU than a regular boil addition! I get what you were saying now though...

I've got a bit of an amarillo stockpile at the moment too - maybe a 100% amarillo ale is on the cards - mash hop, FWH, and late additions. I always cringe to see amarillo used for bittering (because its sooo good for late additions) but I can tolerate it much more if its FWH! B)

neonmeate said:
just thought i'd report on my recent all-FWH amarillo APA. i used a base of bohemian pilsener malt with 100g amber and a bit of carahell and a pinch of cara-aroma, with 90g of amarillo (9%) FWH. yeast was US-56 dried.
calculating FWH as giving IBUs of 20mins gives that as 35 IBUs or something but in the final product it tastes probably closer to 50. do high alpha hops behave differently when fWH'd?
[post="69179"][/post]​

Sorry Johnno, it was Neonmeate.........

Got my APA down early on saturday morning, pitched yeast saturday night.
Everything went to plan except for a small boil over and the resulting loss of some of my First Wort Hops :( . Loss was minimal though.
She tasted great going into the fermenter... so here's hoping its even better coming out of the ferm. The US56 still hasnt kicked off, but @ 16-17*C thats to be expected.
Here's the recipe.....
(excuse the fact it isnt 100% amarillo, but i just cant go past some of that great cascade bite :blink: )

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Golden Bee 14
Brewer: Dowdy
Asst Brewer: Rat
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 30.34 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5500.00 gm Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 91.7 %
200.00 gm Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3.3 %
200.00 gm Wheat Malt - JWM (3.5 EBC) Grain 3.3 %
100.00 gm Caramalt (Joe White) (49.3 EBC) Grain 1.7 %
10.00 gm Northern Brewer [11.00%] (60 min) (First Hops 12.6 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (20 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (20 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-56) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6000.00 gm
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 18.00 L of water at 73.6 C 67.8 C 60 min

Looks nice. I bottled my first Amarillo/Cascade APA and can already see I will be making a few of these.

I may give your recipe a go for my first all grain in a week or so :)

Cheers
Agro.

Made something very simular on the wekend except I threw in a few Chinook additions.
Pilsner Malt 4.1Kg
Crystal 300gms
Torrified wheat 100gms
Black Patent 40gms
66C mash 90mins
amarillo/chinook 60
cascade plug 30
Chinook/cascade/amarillo 1 min
us56 yeast
Its crawling out of the fermenter currently

Just a quick one guys. I have a brew in primary at the moment that was just a partial (not much spare time but not much beer left either!) with 1.7Kg Light Extract, 1.5Kg Wheat extract, 250g steeped crystal. NB @60mins to 33IBU's and 1/2g per Litre Amarillo@ 10 mins and another 1/2g per Litre at flameout.

My question is regarding dry hopping. I am intending on kegging this brew (as the keg is running low!) and thought I might give dry hopping my first try. I wondered what everyones thought would be on using a 'tea ball' like the picture by hooking the chain around the dip tube in the keg and leaving it in there whilst drinking the brew? Has anyone done this before?

Also just on that, if I was to dry hop 18L in the keg using this method, how much of Ross's Amarillo (8.5% I think) would be sufficient? Be gentle.... it's my first time! :ph34r:

Cheers :beer: ,

JS

tea_infuser_meshball2.jpg

1 gm per litre is a good starting point - I tend to use 2.5gm/L.
I believe Jye is trialling one of these. For your first go, I'd be rcommending dry hopping now, either in the primary or secondary - keg after minimum 3 days, preferably 5.

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross,

1gm per Litre it is then! I'll follow your advice and throw it into the fermentor and keg after 5 or so days.

I guess im interested in knowing if having the hops in the kegged beer whilst drinking is likely to be an issue? I read that some people dry hop while CC'ing for weeks and weeks so Im guessing that side of things wouldn't be an issue. I guess the possible issue could be that whilst consuming the beer the hop weight to beer volume ratio (gm/L) is increasing all the time... but surely that becomes less of a concern after a period of time once the hops have been completely utilised....

Just a few guesses anyway...

Thanks Ross,

JS

Edit: Ooooh... Great Head now! Sweet!

My question is regarding dry hopping. I am intending on kegging this brew (as the keg is running low!) and thought I might give dry hopping my first try. I wondered what everyones thought would be on using a 'tea ball' like the picture by hooking the chain around the dip tube in the keg and leaving it in there whilst drinking the brew? Has anyone done this before?
View attachment 7645

The short answer is I wouldnt used it with pellets :( I tried a 7cm tea ball which is the biggest I could find (looks more like a cylinder) and stuck it in a 4L jar with 20g of pellets so I could watch what happened over the next few days. Some of the pellets got through the mesh and even more it you bumped it. If I was going to use one to dry hop in a keg I would only use plugs and one per cage because they swell heaps.

Cheers
Jye

Thanks for the tip Jye. Thats a good little experiment you ran there, I wish I had of thought of it! Leaving the dry hopping for secondary sounds the way to go!

Cheers
JS

Latest posts

Back