Amarillo Apa Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warrenlw63 said:
Nup, sounds good Shawn. :chug:

I'll keep you updated. I'm a kegger by nature. However I've got a CP filler up in the cupboard that I've not used since I stopped going to HB club meetings.

I'll fill a bottle this way once carbonated. That notwithstanding I'll bung in a carbonation drop or something while I'm kegging. :super:

Keep posted.

Warren -
[post="48734"][/post]​

No worries. I'll keep in touch. Should be good :beerbang:

Shawn.

i have used mo in a apa too with melenidan mal as well with carmunich and it came out well very malty maybe a bit out of style but who cares i like the beer

warrenlw63 said:
Attention Vic. based Brewers

I was just down at Grain and Grape picking up grains and hops for my latest APA.

Anybody who's looking for Amarillo hops Grain and Grape now have them in stock. Just got them in last week. Think they were reading my mind.
[post="48713"][/post]​

And anyone who can't get over West, apparently Brewers Den in Boronia has Amarillo.

Guys - how did it turn out?

I'm brewing one on Monday or Tuesday hopefully.

Something along the lines of...
3kg Joe White pils
500g Hoepfner cara-helles
500g Hoepfner caramel
Should be a nice golden 5SRM and a typical 1045SG.

I am going to use all Amarillo (8.5%) and yes, I got them from the Grain and/or Grape in Melbourne... can't wait to use them.

The schedule will probably be...
20-25IBU - 60min
10-15IBU - 30, 20, 10, flameout

Using STOLEN Coopers yeast... hope it works out well.

G'day Dunkel,

Mine turned out well and so did Warren's that he sent me. The Amarillo is excellent and I used it pretty much according to the recipe earlier in the thread - very happy with the brew and will brew it to the same recipe pretty much again.

Your recipe looks good, although I reckon you can aim for 1050OG rather than 1045, but each to their own. I'm also a big fan of Munich in my APAs. I've never used either of those Hoepfner malts though, so they may well be even better in this beer. Just love my Munich malt is all...

Hope it turns out well,

Shawn.

Hi Dunkel,

Just finished drinking this keg last night - bloody gorgeous, not quite as resiny as LCPA & IMO far more drinkable...

Type: All Grain
Date: 29/05/2005
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Boil Size: 37.72 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 48.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes: Gorgeous - Rich amarrillo on the nose - hasn't the resiny finish of LCPA

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 59.8 %
1.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.6 SRM) Grain 25.6 %
0.50 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (15.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %
0.20 kg Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.4 %
0.15 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
14.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.90%] (85 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
26.00 gm Cascade [4.50%] (25 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
13.00 gm Amarillo [8.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
13.00 gm Cascade [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
13.00 gm Amarillo [8.50%] (90 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 2.4 IBU
26.00 gm Cascade [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
33.00 gm Amarillo [8.50%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

I've just received Amarillo, Chinook and Simcoe hops from Brew Your Own in Canberra, and am pondering what to do with them. First batch will be an APA showcasing Amarillo with Chinook for bittering, and a big bold and brassy American IPA is definitely on the cards.

My thoughts on APA recipe are as follows (please shoot holes or otherwise suggest improvements):

For 22 litres at 70% efficiency
(Fiddling HBD with recipator at work, may not align with ProMash values when I enter the recipe at home).

JW Traditionl Ale Malt (2.5L): 2.5kg
JW Export Pilsner Malt (1.6L): 2.0kg
Weyermann Munich II (9L): 500g
Hoepfner CaraPils (1.8L): 100g
Fawcetts Crystal (55L): 150g

Infusion mash, 90 minutes at 67 degrees C.

90 minute boil:
- 10g Chinook (15.3%AA) @ 60 min (18.2 IBU)
- 10g Chinook (15.3%AA) @ 25 min (12.7 IBU)
- 20g Amarillo (9%AA) @ 10 min (7.9 IBU)
- 20g Amarillo (9%AA) @ 1 min (0.9 IBU)
- 30g Amarillo (aroma steep for 20 min before chilling)

OG = 1.052, Colour = 7 SRM, Bitterness = 40 IBUs.

Ferment at 18C with 1 sachet Safale US-56.

At 15.3%AA, the Chinook I bought sure is potent for bittering. I'm considering adding a little bit toward the end as well, eg. 10g Chinook in the aroma steep. I don't intend to dry hop this beer as dry hopped beers always set off my asthma!

I'm currently drinking an APA similar to this recipe except the hops were Northern Brewer and Cascade, and no munich malt. Its bloody beautiful but the woody character of the Northern Brewer does tend to stomp on the Cascade a bit.

cheers,
Colin

Can't shoot too many holes in that Colin.

Probably wouldn't change a thing. Add more Amarillo late if you wish. Pretty hard to overhop with.

Warren -

Depends how much you like grapefruits in your beer. Bittering with chinook gives a grapefruity bitterness that I like but a lot of people dont. (Remember that bottle I sent you Batz?) I found an APA done in reverse, Amarillo bittering and Amarillo plus Chinook late was more popular with most people. Late chinook adds some nice fruitiness that starts to get close to that lychee/passionfruit type aroma.

I agrre with with gl u would use amarillo and tame down the chinook as chinook can be very over powering plus the recipe u have is going to be one malty apa

G'day Colin,

I agree with GL on the hopping. Maybe go with something like Northern Brewer for bittering and use the Chinook as part of the finishing/aroma hopping. Seems odd for such a high alpha but I didn't like it much as a bittering hop I have to admit. Of course you may love the flavour, just making a sugestion. I also think you don't really need the Carapils given your malt bill.

It does look the goods though, with or without these mods.

Good luck with it,

Shawn.

Colin -

Amarillo is my foundation hop. I use it in ALL my IPAs and most of my APAs and have a lot of experience with it.

I just made a continuously hopped IPA with Glacier and Amarillo which came out EXCELLENT.

I'd throw in 15-20 grams as you runoff the wort for FWH to get some of its florally and fruity flavors.

I'd also up the Crystal a bit to get some malt to balance the hop bite that the Chinook will give ya.

Colin, I also like the looks of your recipe :D ! :chug:

One thing you could try is to bitter your beer with Chinook and Simcoe to make the bitterness more smooth. This I have tried in a recent batch of American Amber and IMO it works well.
Not saying I would be adverse to 100% Chinook as a bittering hop but Simcoe is an excellent bittering hop.

Good luck with it.

C&B
TDA

Thanks all for the feedback.

Does anyone know what the bittering hop in LCPA is? I'm assuming it might be a Cascade + Chinook combo? Whatever it is, I'm not averse to that bitter grapefruit character.

I feel that more than one brew is in order here to explore the combinations, as I bought plenty of Amarillo, Chinook and Simcoe (assuming my club mates don't relieve me of too much more of it before I get to brew myself). I'd say I'll brew one as posted earlier (but a little more crystal), and one with the Chinook reversed with some of the Amarillo - so Amarillo for bittering and a small amount of Chinook mixed in with the flavour & aroma additions. At the rate my friends and I are drinking these batches there's plenty of room for experimentation.

I've taken the recipe suggestions into consideration and will slightly increase my crystal. On reflection my current APA does need a bit more backbone, and a little more crystal and the munich I've added this time will address that.

The CaraPils is non-negotiable :) In non-adjunct recipes I always get much a much better head with more lace and a whiter "marshmallow" texture if I use 100g of so of CaraPils or CaraFoam. Not necessary with adjuncts (flaked maize, torrefied wheat).

cheers,
Colin

Pardon my laziness, Colin, but there were some LCPA hints in this thread on the Grumpy's forum a while back.
I'll leave you to do the reading.

LCPA thread

At quick glance there are very special Cascade in there plus Goldings and Chinook.

Thanks Bilph, that thread very useful indeed and gives me ideas for my next Cascade hopped APA.

Speaking of which , the only Cascade I have at present is the NZ variety - anyone know how it stacks up against the real Pacific Northwest ones? (Yeah, I know - just brew with it and find out)

Here is my hop/grain bill for my amarillo apa. Brewing it this Sunday.

4.50 kg Powells Pilsner (Powells Malts) (3.0 EBC) Grain 82.6 %
0.40 kg Powells Caramalt (Powells Malt) (22.0 EBC) Grain 7.3 %
0.30 kg Powells Vienna (Powells Malts) (8.0 EBC) Grain 5.5 %
0.25 kg Powells Wheat (Powells Malts) (2.0 EBC) Grain 4.6 %
28.00 gm Amarrilo [8.90%] (60 min) Hops 26.9 IBU
14.00 gm Amarrilo [8.90%] (30 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
14.00 gm Amarrilo [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale Yeast II (Wyeast Labs #1882) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Comments welcome. But the grain has been ordered.

cheers
johnno

Looks good Johnno. I'll be keen to hear how the Powells malts go.

Shawn.

Back