Amarillo Apa Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just thought i'd report on my recent all-FWH amarillo APA. i used a base of bohemian pilsener malt with 100g amber and a bit of carahell and a pinch of cara-aroma, with 90g of amarillo (9%) FWH. yeast was US-56 dried.
calculating FWH as giving IBUs of 20mins gives that as 35 IBUs or something but in the final product it tastes probably closer to 50. do high alpha hops behave differently when fWH'd?
aroma is nice but fairly faint, which is sort of what i expected. and there's plenty of smooth, integrated amarillo fruitiness which seems less "edgy" than late additions - a bit muted in the citric stuff, but nice and smooth.
all in all a nice easy drinkin APA. but i think if i do this sort of thing again i might add 20g for aroma as well.
anyways just thought i'd tell yez all about it seeing as there's a lot of amarillo fans out there.

G'day Neonmeate,

Did you use a rest with the Bo Pils malt or a single infusion as normal?

Shawn.

Gough said:
Looks good Johnno. I'll be keen to hear how the Powells malts go.

Shawn.
[post="69119"][/post]​
Gough,
I have been using their malt for nearly a year now and I have to say I am already happy with it.
Its not like I have been brewing for years and years where I can compare it to other well known Maltsters though.
I suppose i could brew exactly the same beer using JW malts and compare it that way. I just havent had a chance to brew exactly the same recipe twice yet. Maybe for my next APA...after the bock, after the Pils, after the ESB etc etc :lol:

johnno

johnno said:
Gough said:
Looks good Johnno. I'll be keen to hear how the Powells malts go.

Shawn.
[post="69119"][/post]​
Gough,
I have been using their malt for nearly a year now and I have to say I am already happy with it.
Its not like I have been brewing for years and years where I can compare it to other well known Maltsters though.
I suppose i could brew exactly the same beer using JW malts and compare it that way. I just havent had a chance to brew exactly the same recipe twice yet. Maybe for my next APA...after the bock, after the Pils, after the ESB etc

johnno
[post="69219"][/post]​

:lol: :lol:

Too little time, too much to brew! I'm in the same boat :lol: I'm just interested 'cause I'm thinking of talking my HBS guy into trying some. I've just bought my malt for the next 6 months :beerbang: but maybe a Powell's after that...

Good luck,

Shawn.

Gough said:
G'day brewers,

I'm planning on a Cascade free APA style brew for tomorrow night and would like some tips from you experienced Amarillo users out there. I've always used Cascade in my APAs, but have some Amarillo and am keen to try this hop. Any suggestions given your Amarillo experiences? I was reading about TDA's Amarillo Alt earlier - did you end up brewing it again? All tips welcome...

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com

Brewer: Shawn Sherlock
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.63 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 14.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.70 kg TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 88.3 %
0.36 kg JWM Light Munich (19.7 EBC) Grain 6.8 %
0.13 kg JWM Wheat Malt (3.9 EBC) Grain 2.4 %
0.13 kg TF Crystal (145.8 EBC) Grain 2.4 %
22.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.90%] (60 min) Hops 24.1 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (30 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (15 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [StartYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.32 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 13.86 L of water at 73.1 C 66.0 C 90 min
[post="48632"][/post]​

I made Shawn"s APA today I used the JW Pilsner malt as recommended by Ray Mills and the Safale US-56 everything went really well ,just put it in the fermenting fridge, I just wondered if anyone else tried this recipeand what result they got ?

Pumpy

It's that weird brewing telepathy karma thing again.
I brewed an all amarillo APA yesterday too.

Vlad , I was planning to do an English ale but picked the hops up from the brewshop when I went to get some dried Safale yeast .

I looked up the recipie and checked I had all the ingredients so It was 'Destiny 'that drove me to mash it .There was a strange light in the sky at the time :unsure: but I put that down to the half bottle of bourbon I had the night before . :party:

May the Hops be with you 'Bro' !!

Pumpy

G'day Pumpy,

Brewed that basic recipe a few times now and been really happy with it. Hope you like it mate :) Let me know what you reckon,

Shawn.

bit off topic but i used 80grams of amarillo in a pale ale today.mixed with 80g of cascade and 80g of glacier.using the hopburst method so will be very interesting to see how it turns out.good thing i love hops.

cheers
big d

I brewed a hopburst pale ale with amarillo the other day, big d. OG 1.035 with 20g of simcoe and 20g of amarillo at 15 minutes and the same again at flameout. Around 20 litres. It's around 2/3rds fermented at the moment and tasting fantastic.

Have you done any pure glacier beers yet? If so how did they turn out? I have yet to try blending it with other US hops.

yep one glacier only but i think i shouldve given the grain bill a bit more dimension.still not too bad a beer and hop.
the true hopburst uses 4 hops and all blended then added at five minute intervals from 30 minute downwards finishing with about 80 grams of blend at flame out.kettle looks a mess afterwards.

cheers
big d

Sorry, guess I've got a fake hopburst. With such a low gravity wort what I had was more than enough to add sufficient bitterness.

And I just remembered I used Glacier with Simcoe in an American wheat, which was an excellent beer.

Gough said:
G'day Pumpy,

Brewed that basic recipe a few times now and been really happy with it. Hope you like it mate :) Let me know what you reckon,

Shawn.
[post="106737"][/post]​

Will do Shawn , I picked up both these hops with no real purpose and was happy :) when I found your recipie that matched the hops & yeast ,I just bought and the grain I had in stock.

Thanks Pumpy

hey Gough

I will vouch for the 50/50 Pils Ale malt combo, its great.

I will say that the ale i have the most positive comments on from VB drinkers was one made with pils malt and some crystal to 16 EBC and hopped with willamette.

might have to re-visit that one

I have bitten the amarillo hop bug and got 100g my self. I have always been an anti-fan of APA's cause they are american and everyone else is making them. I like to be a bit different.

Problem is they are good to drink so i have invested in some WLP001 and some amarillo. I also have a shit load of cascage i bought a while ago to use up so looks like an APA is on the books for the keg.

the keg is a great testing ground for beers before i bottle them for comps.

cheers

Yeah, you've gotta give in to the Amarillo bug eventually Tony :lol: It is a really lovely hop. Whether it is in or out of 'fashion' makes no difference - it just contributes flavours/aroma I love in Yankee style ales :)

I've tasted a couple of 50/50 Pils/Ale malt APAs and they've been great. I've personally been sticking with the Ale malt as my base 'cause I'm very happy with my grain bill, but I've been making a few nice 'Golden Ale' styles (if it is a style :huh: ) lately with Pils as the base malt and a Challenger/Amarillo combo or a NB/Amarillo combo. Nice easy drinking summer beers - a touch lower OG than the APA recipe above. Ah the choices... :beerbang:

Shawn.

Referring back to the FWH query. I have only ever read that FWH'ing will add more bitterness and find it unusual to assume that it will only give an extraction similar to 30 odd minutes.

The FWH hops are in the wort longer than any other additions and go through the complete boil, to me it seems logical that more, if not at least the same, bitterness would be extracted rather than a lot less.
The 'miracle' to me is that a more permanent flavour is achieved.

Any one else have a thought to add?

tdh

tdh said:
Referring back to the FWH query. I have only ever read that FWH'ing will add more bitterness and find it unusual to assume that it will only give an extraction similar to 30 odd minutes.

The FWH hops are in the wort longer than any other additions and go through the complete boil, to me it seems logical that more, if not at least the same, bitterness would be extracted rather than a lot less.
The 'miracle' to me is that a more permanent flavour is achieved.

Any one else have a thought to add?

tdh
[post="107069"][/post]​

As far as I know that is spot on tdh. I can never figure out why some brewers reduce the boil time for their FWH additions. Its totally contradictory - if your boil time is 60mins, the FWH boil time cannot possibly be less than that, by definition. Not having a go at anybody, just always found it a little puzzling.

Whenever I've FWH'ed a brew I've used a 90 minute calculation for bitterness in my 90 minute boil. Doesn't really make sense to me either to count less extraction given they are in there the whole way. The Beersmith software also seems to calculate it as contributing for the full boil for what it is worth.

There does seem to be a big school of thought running against counting the IBUs for the full boil though. Anyone enlighten us?

Shawn.

Gough said:
Whenever I've FWH'ed a brew I've used a 90 minute calculation for bitterness in my 90 minute boil. Doesn't really make sense to me either to count less extraction given they are in there the whole way. The Beersmith software also seems to calculate it as contributing for the full boil for what it is worth.

There does seem to be a big school of thought running against counting the IBUs for the full boil though. Anyone enlighten us?

Shawn.
[post="107084"][/post]​

Gough,

I always thought they added full bitterness & it was only mash hops that didn't...
As you say, they're in there for the full boil, so I don't see how there could be any difference :blink: ... But keen to see any evidence to the contrary...

cheers Ross

My Next Brew (2 weeks) is to be an APA loaded with Amarillo and i was planning to try a little FWH with the last of some NB i have.. might also add some Amarillo for the hell of it.
i was planning on using the FULL boil length for my bittering calculation... and must say i'm with Ross on this one, i always thought that it was 'in mash' hopping that gave the reduced boil value.
With FWH i was of the belief that it still gave the same IBU's as the full boil, but the bitterness was meant to have less edge and be a bit 'softer' if you will...

Latest posts

Back