Amarillo Apa Is In The Bag !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmysuperlative

Reaction score
Results are in ...my first All-Grain beer is a clear winner - based purely on the incredible enjoyment I get from drinking it !!!

This beer was "crafted" using the BIAB method ...and at this point I acknowledge the many All-In-One Brewery pioneers and the BIAB test pilots who took up the challenge to "see if it is possible". I am happy to report this brewing experience as another one of the many BIAB successes ...with special thanks to PistolPatch. ;)

I have added this excel file : View attachment Amarillo_APA_One.xls

It provides a step-by-step summary of the BIAB process ...it contains the more important details of the process -recipe, mash temps, gravity readings, mash times, hop additions etc. Really useful for us beginner AG brewers.
The original spreadsheet can be downloaded from the BIAB thread here ...again thanks to the AHB members who put their time and efforts into this. As a guide for a first timer, it proved invaluable!

I wish I had photos !! :( I'll try to swing it for my next BIAB!

TIPS: For the new BIAB brewer.
  • Don't put it off any longer ...read the BIAB thread and have a crack at it!
  • Order a recipe pack from MHB or Craftbrewer if you can't shop locally.
  • Print out a few copies of the recipe spread sheet you make ...stick them up around the place.
  • Write down all your results (the spreadsheet tells you when to take them)
  • Have things like a calculator, spare pens, paper, timer/timepiece etc handy
  • Play around with Beersmith or Promash to get an idea of what gravities etc you can expect
  • If you're "no chilling", think about how you will get hot wort into container ...tubing goes soft and kinks
  • Don't use a refractometer to check fermenting beer!!!
  • Read the All-In-Onethread, and the BIAB thread to gather the understanding and inspiration
  • PM me, or any of the others who've attempted it for advice, encouragement etc
  • Just do it !!
This method does work ...I kegged my APA after two weeks and took a 12L keg to a Grand Final bar-be-que. Talk about positive feedback ...friends of mine who've tried my previous brews couldn't believe I'd actually made this beer. They said it didn't taste like homebrew !!!
Music to a brewer's ears! B)

What a great post Jimmy!

All your points are spot on. Also, thanks for taking the time to upload the spreadsheet - perfect for others who want to do an APA. I'll link this post and add the spreadsheet to the BIAB thread tonight.

It's good stuff to be drinking a top beer in 2 weeks eh? Your mates' feedback tells me all went very well.

Music to my ears Jimmy!
:beer: Pat

P.S. Just saw your signature - ROFL. I'll listen to Rodriguez today to see if he has anything else relevant to say :lol:

One downside to this story Jimmy is that your mates will now be drinking all your beer :D

i will be attempting my first one in a couple of weeks, just need to order some grains from Ross

rook

One downside to this story Jimmy is that your mates will now be drinking all your beer :D

i will be attempting my first one in a couple of weeks, just need to order some grains from Ross

rook

You're not wrong rook !! The bastards nearly drank me dry ...the request was for a bigger keg next time!!! :blink: Bugger them! :lol:

Good luck with your beer ...what will you be making?

Top effort Jimmy, and even better you added your tips to help other first timers along as well.
But sadly now you will have less beer for yourself and more drop ins with empty eskies who will drink all yours, but that is part of the good feeling you get when you brew your own :D .

Cheers
Andrew

Ditto to Andrew's comments :super: - Welcome to the AG clan, the number of people swithching to AG of late is fantastic & the BIAB is certainly making it far more achievable to many...

Cheers Ross...

Another Ditto from me Jimmy,

Im so glad to see all the masses making the switch to All Grain. Funny how a little question on a website can turn into such a big part of so many peoples hobby! Good luck with the full volume brewing, I've perfected three different beer styles now using my method and they are all sensational!

Congratulations and well done for doing your bit to encourage others.

Cheers,

JS

Good work Jimmy ,

same comments as above, A very good post with tips for the new brewers ..

Its good to see that this method has made it soooo much ezyer to get into Ag...

My first go s into a keg this arvo.. mmmm ... cant wait..

:beer:

Onya Jimmy and congrats on your AG maiden.

This method does work ...I kegged my APA after two weeks and took a 12L keg to a Grand Final bar-be-que. Talk about positive feedback ...friends of mine who've tried my previous brews couldn't believe I'd actually made this beer. They said it didn't taste like homebrew !!!

Amazing how their faces change huh! "Nah! thanks mate, don't really like home brew all that much".

Now as far as your mates go, previously all your home brew had goin for it was, that it was free! right?

Don't things change when it's great and free! Maaaaaaate! got any of that great piss of yours on tap, thought I might call around!

Go Jimmy, it'll only get better.

Onya Jimmy and congrats on your AG maiden.

Amazing how their faces change huh! "Nah! thanks mate, don't really like home brew all that much".

Now as far as your mates go, previously all your home brew had goin for it was, that it was free! right?

Don't things change when it's great and free! Maaaaaaate! got any of that great piss of yours on tap, thought I might call around!

Go Jimmy, it'll only get better.

I reckon I just need to convince a few of them to start brewing ... I can drink theirs then... That'll stuff 'em! :lol:

Did a batch of Amarillo APA based on my SNPA clone recipe, yesterday - IMC Ale malt, some Weyermann Wheat and a touch of melanoidin mashed at 63C - three additions each of Amarillo / Cascade to bitter / flavour / aroma the product - fermenting away with US-56 right now.
Used whirlfloc for the first time (I wanted to see what all the fuss is about!!) and the wort is very clear in the fermenter... B)

Was an excellent brew session until I broke my extremely trusty 11 year old hydrometer / thermometer in the sink during wort transfer to the fermenter... :eek: :angry:

TL

How is that latest All-in-one working out for you? You didn't chuck it did you?

Hell no man, it's still in the fermenter...I was just feeling a bit discouraged at the time I suggested pouring it out :)

Given the lack of temperature drop whilst surrounded by ice bricks, it looks like the yeast still have something to play with, so it could be ok :beerbang:

PZ.

Latest posts

Back