Am I The Youngest Ag Brewer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_west

Reaction score
Finally got to do my first AG brew today, brewed up a Dr Smurto Golden Ale but substituted the amarillo hops for some simcoe ones, will see how it ends up. All ran pretty smoothly the only thing was my mash temp dropped below 66 degrees which was what I was hoping for, it ended up being about 65 degrees in some places :unsure:

But afterwards I was thinking, could I be one of the youngest people to go AG at the ripe old age of 20? I mean most people my age dont really appreciate good beer, they just wanna get drunk. Imagine how good Ill be at brewing when I get old and senile like the rest of you :ph34r:

Congrats on your first AG! Now you have 60-80 years worth of brewing ahead of you (or more depending on how far modern medicine takes us!)

Dunno about being the youngest, I was 20 when I mashed my first biere de garde. I'm sure there would have to be someone out there who has started in their teens though

Here we go, ageism raises its ugly head again. :mellow:

Good luck to you C west, at least you won't waste any of your younger years on pointless garbage alcohol consumption.
As you already realise, it's really about quality, not just simple quantity. I didn't figure that one out until I was in my 50's. ^_^

i started brewing with a friend when i was 17, beer to be ready by my 18th birthday!

Been doing all grain since i was 22 however.

I'm doing my first AG today too just about to transfer it to the fermenter. you have me by 4 years i am 24.

My first AG was 10th August, 2006. I was 19! (and 320 or so days)

My dad home brewed after the war and when I was about 8 I became the assistant brewer. Like many pommy houses built on brick piers as opposed to the more modern slab, there was a crawl space about a metre high under the floorboards accessed from a trapdoor and I loved to go down there to stack and retrieve brews.
I started extract brewing in my late teens as a student in Cardiff (in a plastic garbage bin)
Then went on to kits such as Tom Caxton in my early 20s then AG in my mid 20s.

Been brewing on and off ever since but with long breaks. The existence of huge numbers of elderly brewers proves that it doesn't do you any harm at all any harm at all - :unsure: that's what I said diddle I ? :beerbang:

I started at 22 K&B now 24 and moving to AG in a couple weeks!!

I'm 20 (and 8 months if we get exacting), I reckon its good to see the younger crowd getting into AG. Mates at uni weren't even interested in doing K&K, although they liked drinking the results. Power to everyone who's in on the game, and definitely if they've cottoned onto it 'early'.

Also, 'old and senile'? HA! My Dad is 50, he's brewing and riding and doing stuff like no-ones business. My Grandfather is over 80 and he still rides a motorcycle and goes to work in the morning. I can't wait to be a bit more experienced and worldly, being young is good though...not that I've got anything to compare it to.

Cheers - boingk

Imagine how good Ill be at brewing when I get old and senile like the rest of you :ph34r:

I resent that. I am not all that old. :p

Good on ya for gettting into making beer for want of a good beer rather than just to get smashed.

Cheers
Gavo.

I'm aiming to have my first AG done on thursday (as long as the weather report stays the same) so I'll hopefully be part of the 'popping AG cherry before theyre 21' group as you have just done so yourself

Congrats lad

Sponge

Nb: I am 20 as well, forgot to add that in :rolleyes:

After going to one of the beer appreciation dinners at Red Oak I know the head brewer/owner there started brewing well before he was 18. He did say that he started brewing AG and has never looked back since.

i started brewing with a friend when i was 17, beer to be ready by my 18th birthday!

Been doing all grain since i was 22 however.

+1 about the 18th birthday. Followed all the instructions. Beer was crap and gave up.

Then a few years ago Big W had a sale and my room mate talked me into trying it again. Beer again was crap again. So went to a home brew shop and made something better after some advice. But once I found this site and read how to brew I never turned back.

Cheers to breaking the rules but keeping to the code :beerbang:

kits since i was about 16, underage yes, but proved i was responsible with alcohol to parents, getting drunk isnt my thing. a fine cold one certainly is though! first AG two years ago, when 20. :)

Finally got to do my first AG brew today, brewed up a Dr Smurto Golden Ale but substituted the amarillo hops for some simcoe ones, will see how it ends up. All ran pretty smoothly the only thing was my mash temp dropped below 66 degrees which was what I was hoping for, it ended up being about 65 degrees in some places :unsure:

But afterwards I was thinking, could I be one of the youngest people to go AG at the ripe old age of 20? I mean most people my age dont really appreciate good beer, they just wanna get drunk. Imagine how good Ill be at brewing when I get old and senile like the rest of you :ph34r:

Congrats on the 1st.

Did someone explain to you that when you brew someones else recipe for your 1st you are required to give them the beer? :party: :lol:

Good to hear it went smoothly.

Hope to see you at an AMB meeting soon!

Cheers
DrSmurto

My first AG was 10th August, 2006. I was 19! (and 320 or so days)

Damn it, I knew there would be someone younger out there. . .

DrSmurto said:
Did someone explain to you that when you brew someones else recipe for your 1st you are required to give them the beer? :party: :lol:

Well technically I changed the Hops and the Hop schedule due to no chilling, so yea. . . :icon_cheers:

There were some kids in a BYO article that managed to brew beer for their science fair. The "experiment" had something to do with alpha acid solubility or something (I can't remember) but the school didn't really click that they were brewing until the day of the fair.

Latest posts

Back