Alternate ways to culture yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darren said:
My real bone was that Ross said that re-hydrating dry yeast was essential. I say whammy blammy bullcrap.
cheers
Darren
[post="100710"][/post]​

Darren,

Above lies probably the main problem with your posts - YOU DON'T READ THE THREAD PROPERLY FIRST - as you continually point out.
Nowhere did I say re-hydrating was ESSENTIAL.

Jimmyjazz asked whether to build up a starter or rehydrate - I gave a one line answer - Rehydrate - which is the correct answer to his question.
You then came in at a tangent asking the why's & wherefores.
On getting the correct response, in that hydrating improves the viability of the yeast, you go off on yet more tangents about oxidisation etc...
Also nowhere have I said pitching dried yeast is bad advice - done it often myself - so who you arguing with? READ THE THREADS.

You post comments to inflame threads all the time (which is your perogative, if you so wish). & if someone wants a bit of banter with you, fine - that's what the forum is all about & I for one enjoy a good debate with you... Unfortunately you don't read the threads & give vitriolic respones that are totally uncalled for...

Cheers Ross :)...

AND THE WINNER IS !!!!!!!!! :p :p :p

Gee would be nice if you edited the quotes a bit, the posts are excessively long ;)

Have we thrashed this out enough yet ...

i'd rather listen to JJJ then MMM
some of it might be sh!t but i prefer a challenge rather than repetition

i think the same goes for our forum, turning a few ideas on their heads makes a few waves but I'd still rather hear some "crazy" ideas than everyone replying "yes, that's what i do, buzz click" :ph34r:

no, i wouldn't advise removing all your airlocks and rubber seals, but there's no harm in pointing out what crazy things work for you

Ross said:
Darren said:
My real bone was that Ross said that re-hydrating dry yeast was essential. I say whammy blammy bullcrap.
cheers
Darren
[post="100710"][/post]​

Darren,

Above lies probably the main problem with your posts - YOU DON'T READ THE THREAD PROPERLY FIRST - as you continually point out.
Nowhere did I say re-hydrating was ESSENTIAL.

Jimmyjazz asked whether to build up a starter or rehydrate - I gave a one line answer - Rehydrate - which is the correct answer to his question.
You then came in at a tangent asking the why's & wherefores.
On getting the correct response, in that hydrating improves the viability of the yeast, you go off on yet more tangents about oxidisation etc...
Also nowhere have I said pitching dried yeast is bad advice - done it often myself - so who you arguing with? READ THE THREADS.

You post comments to inflame threads all the time (which is your perogative, if you so wish). & if someone wants a bit of banter with you, fine - that's what the forum is all about & I for one enjoy a good debate with you... Unfortunately you don't read the threads & give vitriolic respones that are totally uncalled for...

Cheers Ross :)...
[post="100755"][/post]​

Ross,
I don't try to inflame threads but do like to point out there are many ways to achieve the same end point. Unlike you who posts to just about every thread I only post to those that there appears to be a misconception to the absoluteness of the process.
I get sick of seeing the same dogma posted over and over again.
Ross, You say I go off on tangents but you missed the point about oxidation of starters!
Its great to have a forum like this where we can agree to disagree. Its also good because I know that some of you (even you Ross) take in some of my comments think about them and give them a try.
I should also correct a misconception. I am not a microbiologist, I am a Molecular Immuno-virologist. It involves growing,cloning and maintaining yeast, bacteria, viruses and also many other fastitious mammalian cell lines, most under highly aseptic conditions.
There is no way anyone could convince me that a half dead pack of dry yeast pitched dry would make a bad beer. I would easily believe that a funky homebrewed starter would be the root of most brewers problems.

rant off

cheers
Darren

tangent said:
i'd rather listen to JJJ then MMM

no, i wouldn't advise removing all your airlocks and rubber seals, but there's no harm in pointing out what crazy things work for you
[post="100770"][/post]​

On that note, I have never seen and airlock or seal on any starter or flask of bacteria or yeast at work. Even the cell culture flasks (highly susceptible to infection) are just screwed on lightly to allow gas exchange.
Most of the experiments are worth $1000's of buck per day. If seals etc. were necessary I am sure it would have been noticed 50 years ago.

Seal is only important to make the airlock go bloop

cheers
Darren

shit benny brewster are you sure they are not real,they make all the right noises,no you are kiddin me arent you
fergi

Darren said:
Ross,
Unlike you who posts to just about every thread I only post to those that there appears to be a misconception to the absoluteness of the process.

cheers
Darren
[post="100771"][/post]​

On a lighter note :) - who was it that recently spent his evening trying & succeeding to have his name on all posts? :D

Touche... :)

But Ross, you have twice as many as me in half the time. says it all I think

Darren said:
There is no way anyone could convince me that a half dead pack of dry yeast pitched dry would make a bad beer. I would easily believe that a funky homebrewed starter would be the root of most brewers problems.

Coincidentally, my first noticeable infection came from a batch of beer I dry-pitched dried yeast into. A four-day lag time does not help matters either.

Kai said:
Darren said:

Coincidentally, my first noticeable infection came from a batch of beer I dry-pitched dried yeast into. A four-day lag time does not help matters either.
[post="100810"][/post]​
Did you shake it in those four days or just wait?

d

I started swirling it after a day of inactivity.

[edit: swirling, not shaking]

Ok for what I I think and probably it doesn't matter.

A love of brewing is the common demoninator at the AHB and the pursuit of excellence in a cauldron of differing ideas , at least thats the way I see it I think.

I think this thread has now become far to personal and ceases to achieve any benefit let alone naming a thread in such a manner! Such threads really do put off and intimidate alot of newbie brewers who wont find a better site for brewing info than this one!

Its time to have a beer! :beer:

BoilerBoy said:
Ok for what I I think and probably it doesn't matter.

A love of brewing is the common demoninator at the AHB and the pursuit of excellence in a cauldron of differing ideas , at least thats the way I see it I think.

I think this thread has now become far to personal and ceases to achieve any benefit let alone naming a thread in such a manner! Such threads really do put off and intimidate alot of newbie brewers who wont find a better site for brewing info than this one!

[post="100815"][/post]​

Even though I'm in the thick of it - I couldn't agree more - As to naming it & moving it, I guess maybe Darren & his moderator friends might like to enlighten...
there again, don't bother - as you say, it would be better off locked - it certainly won't get another post from me - over & out, off for a :chug:

Kai said:
I started shaking it after a day of inactivity.
[post="100813"][/post]​

I have had beers not start for two/three days without a problem. Now I think about it about a month ago I made a lager. Pitched a whitelabs tube into it (65 litre batch) with no starter. Gave it a couple of shakes and put it in the fridge. Went to a conference for a week. Came back and thought, well time to transfer the batch. Checked the gravity and it had barely moved (or not at all). Thought it must be doomed but pulled it out of the fridge, shook madly for a minute, put it back. Finished in the next week. The beer tasted fine. Theres my data point.

Was it early days Kai?

cheers
Darren

I think DCL/Fermentis recommend rehydrating yeast (which is quite different to making a starter). As a second choice they suggest sprinkling the yeast on top and then after a while, stirring it in. I don't often use dried yeast but I have used both of these methods successfully.

I swirl my fermenter, if I shook it I would 1. get a hernia and 2. get wort everywhere, my fermenter lid leaks like a sieve.

The reality, there are ideal conditions, something to aim for and reality. Even in less than ideal conditions you can make great beer. As a case in point I made a starter the other week and I was trying a new routine. The end result was considerably less yeast (CL50) in the bottom of the flask than I have ended up with in the past. I also had it sitting in the fridge for nearly a week before pitching (my practice is to settle the yeast, tip the liquid down the drain and pitch the slurry) whereas I normally aim for 24 hours.

The lag time was longer but the final gravity is probably a point or so lower than I was expecting and it is tasting great.

Now of course this has nothing to do with the thread so I will let you get back to your regular programming ...

I've had slow starters before too, though without infection troubles. If you mean early days as in early on in my brewing life then nope, it was only a little while ago -- that alt I posted pictures of. Admittedly it was a culmination of a few things, but I do not think dry-pitching the yeast helped.

It did not taste very good, but I think that was independent of the infection.

BoilerBoy said:

[post="100815"][/post]​

Darren named the thread.
I moved the off-topic/tagent posts from the previous thread to this one.

Topic now closed.

Beers,
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back