Allowing temperature to rise during fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Okay, I searched but didn't really find what I need to know.

My usual schedule for ales goes like this: 18 degrees for 2 weeks, with a rise of 2-3 degrees for the last 24 or so hours. This works well.

Now, the situation is that my cold box fits only 2 fermenters.
It is currently occupied by 2 fermenters, both containing ales started 4 days ago & the majority of mega-krausen has dropped on both.
There is still obvious early fermentation (bubbles, thin krausen).

I have just pitched onto another brew & it's currently in a wardrobe (not optimal, but okay while I wait for it to kick off).

So, my problem is this: If the first two are removed from the cold box & placed in say the wardrobe (so the newie can be appropriately controlled during it's most active fermentation phase)...they may well hit up to 24 degrees over the coming days.

Does this really matter?

I'm always really strict with temperature control, however don't really know if it is quite as important once the fermentation has slowed after the initial bang.

Any advice on this one would be greatly appreciated! :D

It matters less, but I wouldn't say it doesn't matter at all. For some beers, I'll deliberately raise but it's always a slow raise to keep the yeast happy. In your case maybe bump it up a degree or 2 a day till it's close to ambient, then get the next one in.

I've never particularly considered a sharp temperature RISE to be harmful, within reason. I don't see any problem with your wardrobe plan. I typically crank the temperature of my ale ferments up to 22 or so by day 4 or so anyhow.

What is your reason for raising the temp after two weeks?
If it is to get the yeast to clean up a bit then you'll want to do it when they are still a bit active such as when Dent mentions - 4 days or so.

Someone suggested it once upon a time & I've been doing it ever since.

That was probably 7 years ago. I no longer even remember why I do it...LOL

That said, thanks for the replies fellas. It would seem that I've been being a little too particular about my constant temperature control!

I don't think you should worry bout being particular about temp control. Bit like sanitising not a bad thing to be anal about.

Also, my understanding is that you want to control that ferment temp, even during the lag. The lag is where a lot of esters, off flavour etc etc are created and personally id be keeping it temp controlled from the day dot. Im pretty sure if you pitch warm, then chill, as is possibly your case, you can get a lot of acetyldehyde which is in excess of what the yeast can clean up later on.

Maybe others with knlwledge could chime in.

I'll still be keeping it closely controlled during the initial mega-active phase to avoid terrible results.

Found out from experience early on why temp control is important...hence this thread & my concerns.

Oops, that reply was to Michael.

Dane: Temp during lag is no problem, as I can keep it down in the wardrobe easily enough before it starts generation substantial heat of its own.

Not really a biggie now though, as I just moved them all :)

I'd have to read up on it again dane but as far as I understand the chemical pathways for ester formation are set early on. Certainly they form later but the foundations for them are set. Temp is only one factor but a major one.
I definitely prefer to pitch cool then control any rise rather than warm then cool. Considering the heat fermentation puts out, I think pitching warm runs a risk of getting off flavours set early on.

I see where this started & it's my fault for creating confusion.

It's not currently 24 degrees in the wardrobe, nor was the new wort sitting at 24.

Ambient temperatures predicted for the next few days lead to my predicting anything sitting in said wardrobe hitting 24 by tomorrow afternoon.

No confusion my end - I was responding to danestead. Your plan of action is perfectly clear and perfectly fine.

As long as you keep the first few days low, then a gentle rise wont really hurt it, it may help ferment the last remaining sugars with a temp increase.

Awesome & thanks to you all.

Please continue the dialogue with dan here manticle...I live to learn :)

Awesome & thanks to you all.

Please continue the dialogue with dan here manticle...I live to learn :)

Latest posts

Back