All Night Biab Mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bada Bing Brewery

Reaction score
Just chucked a BIAB in and started the mash and now have to go out (not my fault) .... Any ideas ???? Just leave it mashing or start a quick boil then leave it and finsh boil tomorrow? It is a Hoegaarden clone .....
any suggestions welcome
Cheers
BBB

Overnight mash is fine as long as it's insulated as well as possible. The late Dave Line, in his books like "The Big Book of Brewing" advised in most recipes "Mash for one hour, or overnight" :icon_cheers:
I deliberately did an overnighter last year and it turned out perfect.

if you've finished the mash schedule, then you can heat it up to 80 so you denature the enzymes and pasteurize it, so it won't turn out too thin or start going sour.

BribieG - You da man ... Thank you very much - now where is that bloody sleeping bag ....
Thanks again
cheers
BBB

Overnight mash is fine as long as it's insulated as well as possible. The late Dave Line, in his books like "The Big Book of Brewing" advised in most recipes "Mash for one hour, or overnight" :icon_cheers:
I deliberately did an overnighter last year and it turned out perfect.

i would have thought you'd end up with a really dry beer, was this your result bribie ?

Bribie has more experience than me at this kinda stuff, so I default to him

I was expecting it really thin and dry, but it didn't turn out like that. I get the feeling that once it drops below say 62 degrees the enzymes just pick up their bats and balls and go home :lol:

BribieG - Should I bring it up to 66C tomorrow morning and rest for awhile then mashout normal to 78C?
Cheers
BBB

edit - maybe of interest - I used raw wheat and mashed that at 50C for 20 minutes then to 66C for the rest of the grain bill.
Anyway many thanks for the timely responses.

BribieG - Should I bring it up to 66C tomorrow morning and rest for awhile then mashout normal to 78C?
Cheers
BBB

edit - maybe of interest - I used raw wheat and mashed that at 50C for 20 minutes then to 66C for the rest of the grain bill.
Anyway many thanks for the timely responses.

BBB, be sure to post your results with this beer, you might have discovered a good method here

BBB you are going to heat stuff up anyway so why not heat up the mash again to mashout and proceed from there, can't see any harm in that. As it's BIAB I'd hoist the bag off the element or base plate depending on what boiler you are using, let the cold wort drain in, bring it up to a sub-boiling temperature, turn off, lower bag, stir like buggery and see if that's got you to mashout temp. If not, repeat. Shouldn't take much longer than draining cold and heating, and because the wort is a bit more runny at higher temps you may get a better drain of the bag.

+1 to what BribieG said, take the bag out, heat, teabag/stir it a few times, heat, mashout... You need to heat it up anyway and i cant see a rest at 66 before going to mash out hurting efficiency...

Overnight mash is fine as long as it's insulated as well as possible. The late Dave Line, in his books like "The Big Book of Brewing"

:icon_offtopic:
Im reading this one for the second time currently and think the "Brewers Bedtime Story" is brilliant!!
:p

I had a very long mash (36 hours) as I thought my kettle was leaking and I had no way of fixing it. Turns out it was fine however the mash has turned out very sour. It was an IPA with 6.4kg ale BB ale a couple of handfuls of rices and 120g of crystal. I've thrown about 240g of hops in there, will this turn out ok?

It tastes quite bitter and is chock full of hop flavour but is also sour atm. I'm just wondering if this will deteriorate over time, or if it is not worth keeping it at all.

Cheers,

Clint

I'd say with your very very long mash, the grain has started to go icky like the spent grain you forgot to tip out when you went for the weekend up the coast and when you got home and opened the garage door :icon_vomit:

Overnight isn't too bad, but I'd say you may well have lost this one. :unsure:

Hey BribieG,

Thanks for weighing in on this. I've pitched some saf-ale in there, i'm going to see how it turns out. After the boil it smelt much better but tastes ******* sour. Hopefully it will get better with age? Although it reminds me of the time I put too much phosphoric acid in my water sprayer and made my fat yak clone a sour.

After using over 6kg of malt plus spending the time doing the boil, I figured that having a go at fermenting it would be worth it just in case it turns out.

Mate as long as it's not going to harm your health, just think of it as Farmhouse Beer etc and maybe cut it in the glass with a bit of Bickfords lime cordial :p Can't be worse than some of the strange Geuze and Lambics and other "specialty" ales I get to taste now and again.

Donburke and others following this thread. I hit it with heat the next morning (couldn't be bothered teabagging, was crook) and went to 66C left for 15 mins then mashed out at 78C and ripped the pillowcase :eek: out as per normal. It has been fermented and CC into a secondary with gelatine and it tastes very very nice, but is too clear!!!!. Will carb up when room becomes available in the kegerator. I think Tony's hoegaarden clone is pretty bloody close to the mark.
Will post again when I'm drinking it..
Thanks for the help
Cheers
BBB

I had a very long mash (36 hours) as I thought my kettle was leaking and I had no way of fixing it. Turns out it was fine however the mash has turned out very sour. It was an IPA with 6.4kg ale BB ale a couple of handfuls of rices and 120g of crystal. I've thrown about 240g of hops in there, will this turn out ok?

It tastes quite bitter and is chock full of hop flavour but is also sour atm. I'm just wondering if this will deteriorate over time, or if it is not worth keeping it at all.

Cheers,

Clint
Pretty sure that's how Charlie Papazian's Brewing Book describes how to do a lambic. Mashing for over a day. Wild bacteria gets in the mash or something, but you keep going with it.
You could try calling it a lambic IPA?

Malted barley contains/houses various microorganisms including lactobaccillus strains. Lactobaccillus will lead to a souring of the wort/beer.

I've mashed overnight once (similar situation) and had the beer turn out fine but essentially leaving any organic material containing sugar, starch etc in a saturated environment is going to encourage microbial growth. Some of these may affect flavour before you boil it.

It's a chance you take by doing it - may work, may not. I'd do it again out of necessity but I wouldn't make it a regular practice.

Won't kill you but may stuff your beer unless the souring process is deliberate (lambic, berliner weiss etc).

Latest posts

Back