All Night Biab Mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manticle- when you mashed overnight what kind of temp drop did you experience? Was it cold in the morning? And how did that beer turn out as opposed to when you've done it 'normally'?

I could actually see 'overnight mashing' being pretty handy. Mash in at 7pm or so, wrap it up and let it sit overnight. Get up in the morning and start the boil. Could be a good way to give yourself a headstart on a double brewday.

I'd be worried that the amylase enzymes would get hold of the malty sugars and make them more fermentable, resulting in a dry beer. Or is that once the starch has been converted to a particular type of sugar it can't convert into something else?

Actually I should clarify - I mashed, drained runnings then had to go out before the boil which was done the next day.

Only brewed that beer once so far so can't compare but it was a hefe that tasted like a hefe.

Point about the lacto etc is valid though.

The final report of my overnight BIAB mash. Beer is fantastic, not dry or thin - just a ripper. Difficult to say whether the overnight mash helped (bloody raw wheat) - it certainly did not hinder it so fear not - mashing overnight is a option. Thanks for the help.
It is a Bullshead Witbier Hoegaarden clone and thanks to Tony for the recipe. If you are looking for a hoegaarden clone this is as close as I have seen/tasted.
Cheers
BBB

IMAG0011.jpg

http://www.foodsafety.asn.au/factsheets/te...ngerzon2248.cfm

From the above: the danger zone is 5 to 60 degrees

Extended mashing should be ok if the mash temp doesn't drop below 60. There'll stille be bugs in there, they just won't be very active at the higher temps

Unless you want some lacto formation, say for a Berliner Weiss, then you could deliberately let it cool below 60 overnight

Tried this today, mashed in at 10:00am, went out and got back home at 3:00pm. I'm brewing a northern brown with a 100gm pale chocolate malt addition and I think (although it is very early to tell!) that the long mash time has really over accentuated the darker malts. The samples I have tasted have a crazy roast character considering the small addition.

Anyone else experienced long mash times with darker beers?

http://www.foodsafety.asn.au/factsheets/te...ngerzon2248.cfm

From the above: the danger zone is 5 to 60 degrees

Extended mashing should be ok if the mash temp doesn't drop below 60. There'll stille be bugs in there, they just won't be very active at the higher temps

Unless you want some lacto formation, say for a Berliner Weiss, then you could deliberately let it cool below 60 overnight

When I did my apprenticeship I was taught that between 4 & 60C is the danger zone. Anyhow, it's only 1C difference and I have moved on now. Nevertheless, I would assume that because you boil the wort for the hop addition then whatever bugs accumulate under 60C are killed off anyway.

I would assume that because you boil the wort for the hop addition then whatever bugs accumulate under 60C are killed off anyway.

The bugs might be killed off, but they may have already done their thing and produced off flavours and ruined your beer/wort

It might not be relevant, but I often leave my grain bag hanging overnight (cleanup the next day) and it's not soured at all - neither is the bowl underneath it that's been catching drips. Both are room temp and have been that way for a while.

However, by the next day (yup, I've forgotten about it before) it's fully sour.

I'd have no issues leaving it overnight as long as there were no mashing issues.

Back