All Malt - No Hops - Bad Idea?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubergrafik

Reaction score
I have a can of Black Rock AMBER - which is all malt. I am wondering if using that (1.5kg), along with either an ale or lager yeast and 12 liters of water is a bad idea or not. I am wanting to get something really malty.

Thanks.

I have a can of Black Rock AMBER - which is all malt. I am wondering if using that (1.5kg), along with either an ale or lager yeast and 12 liters of water is a bad idea or not. I am wanting to get something really malty.

Thanks.
You waited 3and a half years to post that? :lol:

Thanks.

Do you want to make beer or sweet alcoholic malt cordial?

Sounds like a goer to me, it'll be malty.

Edit: use bakers yeast

Edit #2: drop your ball sack into it twice a day (unless you have a really big ball sack, then only do it once)

You waited 3and a half years to post that? :lol:

Wow that is a long time with no post.

I would advise you add that can to a pot with about 15 litres of water in a cheap 20L stock pot on your stove, add some hops and boil for an hour. The beer will be cloying and sickly sweet without hops, even very malty beers have some hops. I'd probably use a low alpha variety (german hallertau or spalt might be good) aim for 15 - 30 IBU (about 13 - 26 grams of hallertau, but that depends on the Alpha Acid content) Should boil down to about 12 litres.

You would get a pretty malty beer by using a low attenuative yeast, you can check various yeast strain attenuation on either the WYeast or White labs websites. A bavarian lager yeast will give you a malty brew but if you dont have any temperature control (ie a fermenting fridge) an american ale yeast might give you better results.

For even more malt character you could go a little further and steep about 150g of crystal malt with a grain bag in the hot water before adding the other ingredients and bringing the wort to the boil.

hard to tell the exact gravity extract will give you but probably a little over 1.045 in 12 litres of water, so would make a pretty good session beer.

(Edit - steep for about 30 minutes, and remove the grain bag before bringing the wort to the boil)

Hops would really be better for flavour. Never though about a beer without hops before, but I think it would be a sickly sweet drink.Could be nice to mix with lemonade when its finished, with some fresh lime also.

And call it a "Imperial Tea Bag Ale"

Good lot of help you lot are. Why not try helping some one for once rather than getting your post count up.

As to the point I would not do this my self as it would be rather sweet to the taste and not much like beer at all. I would keep my bittering to at least 15-20 BU's and use a yeast that would keep a good malty profile.

Good lot of help you lot are. Why not try helping some one for once rather than getting your post count up.

As to the point I would not do this my self as it would be rather sweet to the taste and not much like beer at all. I would keep my bittering to at least 15-20 BU's and use a yeast that would keep a good malty profile.

+1
Of course beginners are gonna ask questions that seem silly to more experienced brewers (especially in the kits section) but when people give sarcastic or rude answers as oppossed to posting something useful they only get turned off going on the site, which is a shame because it is a genuinely good resource.

Yeah, manticle. Take take take. That's you, user!

I actually thought Manticle's post was genuine, after all alcoholic malt cordial is what you would get if you did not add hops to beer.

Back OT If the OP really did want to experiment with a no hop beer I would probably suggest trying some bitter herbs instead. Never tried it, but I heard no hop beers are a very acquired taste, so I would still be inclined to use some hops. If you pick up a copy of "the home brewers garden" by Joe and Dennis Fisher there is a lot of info on herb beers. "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher is also great. The biggest problem seems to be that you can never be sure how much bitterness a given amount of any herb will add (unlike hops herbs don't come with an AA rating) so the beer you intended to be malty beer might end up over the top bitter.

Alternatively I've tried a pretty good malt liquor once (I think it was brewed by Rogue) that pretty much tasted like malt extract smells, without being sickly or cloying. I wouldn't have a clue how to brew one though (let alone brew one with malt extract)

uber:

go for it son. (or daughter, respectively)

the old farts on the forum are:

• stuck in their ways
  • often jaded to newbs
  • extremely sarcastic
  • are unknowning to the topic of "seriousness"
Try stuff. see if it works. if it does, gold. If it doesnt, try something else. best way to learn.

the only thing I don't recommend learning first hand is safety - if an experienced forum member(s) tell you not to do something because it could be dangerous, heed that warning well and without ego.

for everything else, stick it to the man. eventually you'll end up corrupt like the man, and hang out with the man at dodgy brew meets. enjoy!

Good to get some lively discussions going :)

I just wanted to try to get something malty and didn't want to waste good ingredients. Never really thought that they are all hopped to a greater or lesser degree but that they are all hopped.

Well, I will throw some hops into the mix and see how I go.

So, at this stage it'll be:

1.5kg of the Black Rock malt extract,
Ale yeast,
Hops
Water up to 12 liters.

Will see how that works...

Glad there was some good info in the post to make it worth while staying :)

Good to see you stayed, be sure to post your recipe and tasting notes :icon_cheers:

I did not accuse Manticle of anything personally, nor did I intend to and I am sorry that he feels that way. I cannot help thinking that given how quickly he jumped to his own defence that a there is something at the back of his mind.

You fell off your moral high horse pretty fast there, fella.

Back