Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might have been covered here or the other place, but can these cans be recycled to cover a portion of the cost?

It might be possible to get away with it in SA. There's no barcode required here and we're allowed (even encouraged) to crush the cans before taking them to the recycle depots.
So if you are able to crush them enough to make them indistinguishable from a commercially canned beer/soft drink etc, then you should get 10 cents back on each can - 20% discount - better than nothing!

In WA you can take crushed cans to scrap metal dealers. No bar code required

Edit: don't have to be crushed either

Sounds good. How much space did you leave for the fan, or did you just cut a hole?

I haven't put it together yet, was thinking of drilling out a few holes in some sort of pattern which will obviously not make it waterproof (its just the box i had laying around

Ok, so I've been playing with my new toy. You definitely do not want to go any longer than 1-2 seconds on any seal, too long and you can wear a hole in it, or crimp the seal onto the top Dye. So longer is not always better!!! Apart from that it's going well. My cans arrived in Newcastle unharmed, so no crushing of the box, so that was a bonus.

Ok, so I've been playing with my new toy. You definitely do not want to go any longer than 1-2 seconds on any seal, too long and you can wear a hole in it, or crimp the seal onto the top Dye. So longer is not always better!!! Apart from that it's going well. My cans arrived in Newcastle unharmed, so no crushing of the box, so that was a bonus.
Thanks for the tip Daz. I didnt get mine out, had to much going on over the weekend

I'm definitely interested in one of these can steamers as I'm not carting a keg and gas bottle around when I go out, and to buy decent beer is fairly expensive.

Does anyone else have any feed back on the units?

Stokesy

I am interested in this but only just into kegging so will have to leave it a bit longer to take the plung.
I found this link that demonstrates one canning method which answers a lot of questions asked here.
The machine is not the ones seen in Australia but his method seems to be a good one.

Also I like the four pack clips.

@kegland, is there or can you do a detailed info on the greasing of the canular, what parts, how often etc.. ? Also could you possibly stock said grease please. It would be very handy.

I am interested in this but only just into kegging so will have to leave it a bit longer to take the plung.
I found this link that demonstrates one canning method which answers a lot of questions asked here.
The machine is not the ones seen in Australia but his method seems to be a good one.

Also I like the four pack clips.

Those can holders are called 'Pak Techs' and can be re used.

Does seem awfully cheap for a canning sealer, I have used the Dixie when I was working for Rubicon Brewing in Sacramento. Tolerances are very fine on these machines, will be interested to see the feed back from the users.

Does seem awfully cheap for a canning sealer, I have used the Dixie when I was working for Rubicon Brewing in Sacramento. Tolerances are very fine on these machines, will be interested to see the feed back from the users.
Anybody?

I'll bite. I thought the first movement, the folding of the lid that I would force it with pressure, what happened was either the lid would create a sharp seal, or it would affix to the chuck (top die). I have since learnt to just apply pressure on the first stage, and more pressure on the second, where it shapes against the body of the can. Once I got used to this I have nicely rounded lips and uniform Seams. I have not opened any yet, as wanted to leave for a week or 2. The operation of the machine is easy, and I can see it coming in handy.

Signed up to reply here, interested in canning but how long does it take compared with bottles?

Signed up to reply here, interested in canning but how long does it take compared with bottles?
Have not bottled for years, but I would say it's about the same. You still have to sterilize etc... The sealing of the lid to the can is done in less than 5 seconds.

I'll bite. I thought the first movement, the folding of the lid that I would force it with pressure, what happened was either the lid would create a sharp seal, or it would affix to the chuck (top die). I have since learnt to just apply pressure on the first stage, and more pressure on the second, where it shapes against the body of the can. Once I got used to this I have nicely rounded lips and uniform Seams. I have not opened any yet, as wanted to leave for a week or 2. The operation of the machine is easy, and I can see it coming in handy.
Have you cracked a tinny yet?

Back