Aldi Pressure Cooker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the electric one, not sure of the size, maybe only 5l. Good thing about it is you can walk away and it will turn itself down after the timer finishes to a keep warm setting. But remember to close the release valve or you might come back to a shed full of steam...

Would this fit any bigger than a 2L erlenmeyer?

No chance, it cant fit a 1l flask but you don't really need to autoclave flasks. We got one of these pressure cookers last time aldi had them. They are great except the handle cracked, its still safe to use just a little annoying. Plus you can cook with it!

I bought one last time they were available, when I had turned my old Hawkings into a mass of pathetic unsalvageable char. Made a big beef casserole in it last night, really good little unit.

i'm getting one.gif

I just bought one as well but not completely happy with the two cooks on it so far.
It may be the same with all pressure cookers but I don't know.
I did a casserole type stew the other night at setting 2 ( 100kpa ) & ran it for 20mins after steam venting from the dial.
Cooked beautifully except the meat pieces on the bottom. All had a charrred skin, not burnt but a well done skin.
Tonight I did butter chicken, same result. The uncharred bits melted in your mouth but once again the well done outer of the chicken pieces on the bottom let the dish down. Pretty disappointed at this stage & not sure if this is true for all pressure cookers or not.
The unit works flawlessly but the well done pieces on the bottom are letting it down.
Any help / tips appreciated. I don't want to retire it just yet to the brew cave for autoclave.

Electric or stovetop pressure cooker? If stovetop, gas or electric?

Camo6 said:
Electric or stovetop pressure cooker? If stovetop, gas or electric?
Stove top.
Electric cooking or ceramic I think it is.
It's compatible with the pressure cooker according to the manual.

I've only got the electric model so not much help. Have you tried the stovetop on a lower setting to make sure you're not scorching?

Sounds like it'd make a good paella.

If all else fails tell the Mrs to be grateful for the brew cave or else it'd be on hard rubbish and a complete waste of money. ;)

Camo6 said:
I've only got the electric model so not much help. Have you tried the stovetop on a lower setting to make sure you're not scorching?

Sounds like it'd make a good paella.

If all else fails tell the Mrs to be grateful for the brew cave or else it'd be on hard rubbish and a complete waste of money. ;)
Ok, without sounding like a fool, the trivet or basket thingo that came with it for veggies & stuff, do I need to use that for cooking stews & the like?
It would obviously keep the meat off the bottom of the pot with only some liquid getting down past the basket.
Turning down the heat too much will cause the steam vent to not steam & thus losing the 100kpa pressure. I keep it at around 1/2 to 3/4 heat to keep the steam vent hissing at a nice steady pace.

Not sure what the Aldi ones come with, but mine has a perforated disc metal "steaming rack" that brings the food 1/2cm off the bottom. Use that if you have one.

Maybe I'm cooking too hot.
When the steam escapes at a rapid rate on high heat setting, do you turn it right back so next to no steam is coming out or do you need to have a fair amount escaping? The instruction booklet is about as useless as tits on a bull.

My electric pc uses a teflon insert like a rice cooker. Once it gets to temp the pressure valve seals and it doesn't steam sweet FA till I release the pressure after the timer ends. Sounds like you might be over pressurising it? Can't say I've used mine in the kitchen yet. I use the slow cooker for stews and casseroles and most of my curries in the wok or cast iron dish.

I have used about 4 different pressure cookers and they all run on pretty low heat once pressure is reached. They have all required that you set the cooker to whatever pressure you want, heat on pretty high heat until steam starts escaping, drop the temp back until it is just escaping.

I think you don't want too thick a mix in there either. Thicken once you release the pressure.
Also you just need to keep a slight release of steam once it gets up to temp.
Recommend doing a corned beef. 40 min at temp and its bloody lovely.

Latest posts

Back