Aldi Pressure Cooker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run my big Fagor jobbie on a simmer-pad once I get the whole shebang simmering & hissing. You're still going to get a bit of scorching/sticky bits, but not "burnt".

I had no issues with my chick-pea curry, but it was quite "watery" on the start because they soak up the liquid (stock in this case) during cooking.

Do root vegetables, e.g.: carrots turn to mush ?
How long can you cook them for ?

One it is blowing steam turn the heat down so it just hisses. That's when you start the timer for most recipes. Much like the first hop addition....

Chickpeas, just smush some with a ladle in there and mix it through, thickens the gravy nicely without adding anything else.

Roots - carrots - well, eaten carrots cooked with rice in one, they go tender but not mush. Same with potatoes, they hold shape and can be sliced very easily but don't fall apart.

I add root vegetables 20 mins after the meat, you have to depressurise the cooker then cook for 10-15min more. Works a treat.

Don't waste your money buying the Aldi pressure cooker. Its a piece of shit & continually burns on the bottom even on low heat & the little pressure knob only pops up when it feels like it. Hunk of shit.

Mines still going strong but I only use it for sterilising jars of wort or water so never had a problem with burning.

However, my new aldi rice cooker burns the shit out the bottom of the rice and is gonna get the flick.

Edit: mines electric fwiw.

I don't like the ideas of electric versions with timers etc. All things that can go wrong etc.
Think to last long time.
Go the real pot styles for gas stoves etc. I got a 7lt polished stainless steel Baccarat for $130.
They were on special in a few local stores.
It seems people rather a colored pot that's twice the price.

Oh! and yeah,
My pressure cooker is the best new toy I have for evolving good home cooking etc.
Its a step up a level for sure. Very efficient in time, flavor, ingredients and sanitation too.

Sorry to hear your problem Crusty.

I love my Aldi cooker, been using it for a year now, once or twice a week, and excellent bit of kit. They have only been out for a year so should still be in warranty. However if like me you forget to keep the docket.......... :unsure:

Back