Alcoholic Cordial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the idea is to start the fermentation with only the water, dexterose and yeast, THEN add the cordial to taste after the fermentation is complete. it will be flat but will get you hammered.

the idea is to start the fermentation with only the water, dexterose and yeast, THEN add the cordial to taste after the fermentation is complete. it will be flat but will get you hammered.

If its about some nasty old stuff that you want to make to just get smashed, then ask your LHBS about a recipe that distillers use for their wash. Unimaginable amounts of dextrose and a yeast called 'turbo'. Do a bit of research though, Im not sure what sort of secondary alcohols you will be producing so it could be dangerous to your head and your health. If you care about such things.

Be careful, and drink responsibly :)

Oh well if it gets you hammered then freaking go for it dude!
I dont even know why I'm bothering with any other way!

You'll probably find that the yeast will fail early in the fermentation as it will run out of nutrients. However it should work ok with a good general yeast nutrient in the mix. European and American 'tramp' beers are made up to 10% ABV using syrups and sugars but the yeast needs extra stuff to feed on, not just sugars. Maybe try subbing a kilo of the dex with a can of a very light concentrate like Coopers Cerveza.

My wife make cordial from scratch which is so much better than the store bought stuff. From memory its just water, sugar, and fruit boiled down to a thick syrup and then left sit in a covered pot for a couple of days before straining and bottling. Only need a little and is fantastic with soda water! If people are interested I'll post the recipe she uses.

My wife make cordial from scratch which is so much better than the store bought stuff. From memory its just water, sugar, and fruit boiled down to a thick syrup and then left sit in a covered pot for a couple of days before straining and bottling. Only need a little and is fantastic with soda water! If people are interested I'll post the recipe she uses

My wife makes a scrumptious pancake dish that involves a reduction of oranges, sugar and brandy as the sauce which I have thought about bastardising for a cordial base without the brandy, and without the pancakes. :) With summer coming up it would be great to have some refreshing natural cordials on hand, so post away on another thread if you have the time because I would be interested.

My wife makes a scrumptious pancake dish that involves a reduction of oranges, sugar and brandy as the sauce which I have thought about bastardising for a cordial base without the brandy, and without the pancakes. :) With summer coming up it would be great to have some refreshing natural cordials on hand, so post away on another thread if you have the time because I would be interested.
I was in france a couple years ago and they has a local wine made from oranges... that I didn't taste ):... decisions we regret for a lifetime! maybe...

My wife make cordial from scratch which is so much better than the store bought stuff. From memory its just water, sugar, and fruit boiled down to a thick syrup and then left sit in a covered pot for a couple of days before straining and bottling. Only need a little and is fantastic with soda water! If people are interested I'll post the recipe she uses.

Please do.

Cheers
Dave

Ok Ive got the recipe from the missus and will post it up soon after I type it up :icon_cheers:

When i did mine i forgot to mention i added 2 Table spoons of yeast nutrient and i kegged mine as soon as i added the cordial. Enough fermentable sugar in the cordial to give secondry fermentation in the keg and give a nice sparkly fizz to it. I used cottees cordial for mine. Done it with sars, blueberry and gubble bum cordials. All finished quite sparkly. Ended up working out about 8% abv, and little achoholy taste to it.

Why not go the way of cider?
I used ez-caps for all my ciders and lambruscos
Mighty tasty, easy to make and cheap
All you need is off the shelf Juice. I use Berri and Ceres

Latest posts

Back