Alcoholic Cordial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivesucka

Reaction score
i'd like to try something with a couple of bottles of cordial, preservative free of course, dex and water. just wondering what yeast i should use? i know bakers yeast will do the trick but will take longer.

i'd like to try something with a couple of bottles of cordial, preservative free of course, dex and water. just wondering what yeast i should use? i know bakers yeast will do the trick but will take longer.

I've done this one. 3 Bottles cottees boiled up with water in a 10lt pot, 500gms lactose, topped up to 23L and champagne yeast.
There is sodium met in the cordial but doesn't affect the yeast I'm guessing the boiling has something to do with that, you don't need dex because the cordial gives you your sugars and you need the 3 bottles cos the yeast nails the flavour and the color, ends up very dry aswell.

What's wrong with vodka?

Vodka or white rum + cordial (stuff made from real raspberry is best) + lemonade = win!

Good luck with trying to ferment cordial, I'd be interested to know how it goes, I just cant imagine it turning out well.

If you want something simple and easy to ferment get some bottled juice, like apple + berry.

If you want to make liquid panty remover you would probably be better off with cordial+vodka or rum.

I've heard of people trying this sort of thing and it never ends well.

There are brewed beverages and there are mixed beverages. Trying to brew a mixed beverage is just asking for something horrible in your fermenter.

Making up a keg of the stuff and having it on tap though is very cool.

Cheers
dave

I've done this one. 3 Bottles cottees boiled up with water in a 10lt pot, 500gms lactose, topped up to 23L and champagne yeast.
There is sodium met in the cordial but doesn't affect the yeast I'm guessing the boiling has something to do with that, you don't need dex because the cordial gives you your sugars and you need the 3 bottles cos the yeast nails the flavour and the color, ends up very dry aswell.
you didnt say what it tasted like thyough. more importantly what did the ladies think of it?

I cant imagine that this would turn out well. but could be mistaken

Last week I left half a liter of cordial in my bag for a few days. I must have had residual yeasties in my (half hungover) mouth because it was alcoholic cordial - preservatives and all.

Must have been nigh-on 7% Alc by the smell of it.

If you want to make a tasty fruity booze thing then make a 7% cider and whack in a shot of rasberry or black currant cordial in the glass - the compounds in the cordial don't take kindly to being passed out the ass-end of a yeastie bug.

I made a raspberry wheat beer a while back that just tasted like (shock horror) raspberries. It's a perfect girls beer and my GF can't get enough of it.

It was 46L brew containing 2x Brewcraft Brevaian Wheat, 2x Brew enhancer2 and 32g of Sazz chucked in the fermenter with both the BC Kit yeasts. Fermented at 20 degrees

After fermentation finished I racked off 20L onto 2kg of frozen raspberries (I tried about half this before and the beer is just a strange orange colour and doesn't have enough raspberry flavour for the my liking) and left it for 4 days. Any longer and I think you might start drawing out the bitterness in the raspberries, 4 days seems to be pretty awesome and the beer is nice and sweet.

The wheat beer on it's own was fruity enough but with the raspberries in it it was a really strong raspberry hit with the smoothness of a wheat beer on the end. Honestly because of the raspberry taste and bright pink colour, you could probably tell someone it was just fizzy raspberry cordial and they'd buy it.

I tried to make a alcoholic sars using 3 bottles of cottees sars cordial and yeast plus nutrient.... MAJOR FAIL!!!!! Im going to try making brew using a 2 kg LDME and then use the cordial as a flavoring/carbonation at the end.... may be it'll work, maybe not. Fingers Crossed

I tried to make a alcoholic sars using 3 bottles of cottees sars cordial and yeast plus nutrient.... MAJOR FAIL!!!!! Im going to try making brew using a 2 kg LDME and then use the cordial as a flavoring/carbonation at the end.... may be it'll work, maybe not. Fingers Crossed

so you're suggesting i don't even try it without the realistic prospect of a complete disaster?

1. Get a bottle of vodka.
2. Drink a couple of inches down
3. Get about 8 - 10 redskins and drop them in
4. wait 2 months
5. ???
6. PROFIT

If you want to get totally rat arsed on about 2 bucks, make a basic strong alcoholic ginger beer with

3kg sugar
100g powdered ginger from an Asian Supermarket (dont' even think about the woosie little supermarket packets, too expensive)
yeast nutrient
champagne yeast

the resulting brew is vile but mix it with Bundy ginger cordial or Buderim ginger cordial, crushed ice and drink from a cute glass with a slice of lemon, crushed mint leaves and a cocktail umbrella and it's a very acceptable alcopop. That's what got me back into brewing a couple of years ago, made a few of those brews then one day I bought a can of Coopers Stout and the rest is history. Hic.

so you're suggesting i don't even try it without the realistic prospect of a complete disaster?

Home brewings all about experimentation, but i never had any success brewing cordial,the flavour just seems wrong and gets lost during fermentation when done this way. On a brighter note i did have success doing a LDME brew then add cordial after, so that might be the best way if you want to try cordial
:icon_drunk:

Latest posts

Back