Alcohol Dementia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, it looks like there`s something in that alcohol/dementia theory,all right.
Now if we can just get a couple more posts like the last half a dozen, it will be case proved beyond doubt. :lol:

stagga.

"a couple" more I said...no need for a stampede. :wacko:

stagga.

All this reminds me of an episode of 'Cheers' where they were discussing the merits of drinking beer....

Cliff Explains the Buffalo Theory to his mate Norm,

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

So.... this theory proves we are all safe and, in fact, more intelligent through regular consumption of beer!

:beerbang: :super: :chug:

I have this on a coaster at home. I'm still holding on to the dream that it will be 'in a good way'...

11510beer_will_change_the_world_posters.jpg

Plenty of people will say Beer is nasty for you in unspeakable ways.

Plenty of people (and a fair share of health experts) will say it's awesome for you.

If you want to talk health benefits, then a book called 'Beer in Health and Disease prevention' (Victor.R.Preedy) has this to say:

"Some cancers like bladder cancers and the incidence of cardiovascular disease are reported to be lower in moderate beer drinkers. Furthermore there is a considerable body of emerging evidence to show that the anti-oxidant capacity of beers is high. It has been argued by some that the total antioxidants ingested in some beer drinkers equates that consumed by red wine drinkers."

Pass me a beer I say! Let's drink to our good health! :beerbang:

Hopper.

I'm more concerned about alcoholic seizu,,sflkd l;skdgh'idhg ;'siodhf'hsai; fhjncv c

f; is
dgf'sjgo
wIFd /Gkjl;v
sv
S
v vl SDA Gg
o uj
G

Korsakoffs pcychosis is technically the worse, and permanent issue, resulting from Wernickes encaphalopathy.

Basically, a lack of Thiamine (Vitamin B1) leads to issues with the TCA Cycle (energy producing cycle used by cells).

There are several main signs and symptoms.
The issue it quickly resolved (if it hasn't progressed to Korsakoff's yet!!) with IV thiamine and glucose (thiamine first though).

It is linked with alcohol through two proposed mechanisms.
The first is that chronic alcohol consumption inflames the gut lining leading to a decrease in thiamine absorption.
The second it that chronic alcoholics are just plain malnourished.
It is likely a mix of both.

It is pretty rare these days, but prior to thiamine being supplemented in bread products it was thought to affect up to 5% of the Australian poplulation.

On an interesting note - once it was discovered to be affecting so many people, a Sydney doctor working in an aboriginal community who noted that the majority of the population there had signs of this condition due to poorly nutritious diets (rations), decided to do a little experiment.
He convinced to local baker to put thiamine supplement in his flour!!
The outcome was that within days, all those eating his bread (most of the community) had no more signs on the condition.
To get his method of mass cure out, he invited a journalist to come do a story on it.
The resulting headline in the paper he worked for read something to the effect of
"Doctors perform secret tests on Aborigines!"
Subsequently the baker refused to put anymore in due to the bad publicity and the community returned to normal.....

Years later the government made it compulsory that all flour be supplemented with thiamine.
Also, almost every cereal, bread, pastry, drink etc is supplemented these days.

The only group who has refused to answer the call are alcohol company.
Their studies into it showed that whilst adding thiamine had no effect on the taste or quality of the drinks, it was perceived poorly by those who did the study, and the cost was not worth it.
A shame really, but thats life.

Another interesting note is that it also causes Beri-Beri, wet and dry types.
Many of you may recognise this name as the condition many WWII soldiers had on return to australia after being POW. It was not due to alcohol, of course, but due to the absence of thiamine in white polished rice (their only real source of sustenance).

Anyway thats all from me, hope it helps
Very good!.

What got me thinking about this was the bit on SBS the other night about foetal alcohol syndrome. Very interesting stuff. They did a little test with an egg in a glass and tipped in some Vodka. The alcohol started to cook the egg white and this is whats happening in FAS.
Anyway I am sure that beer is fine but its the alcohol in it that can mess us up if consumed in vast quantities.

Steve

What got me thinking about this was the bit on SBS the other night about foetal alcohol syndrome. Very interesting stuff. They did a little test with an egg in a glass and tipped in some Vodka. The alcohol started to cook the egg white and this is whats happening in FAS.
Eh? What are women doing with vodka bottles then?

I haven't seen that show, but that sounds like a pretty tenuous experiment to me. Kind of like leaving a plate of sheep's brains out in the sun for a day to show a link between UV radiation and alzheimers. While I'm not about to doubt that FAS exists or that alcohol is responsible, surely the vodka soaked egg is just fake science.

My $0.02

Drinking beer has not affected my memory at all.

Drinking beer has not affected my memory at all.

All this reminds me of an episode of 'Cheers' where they were discussing the merits of drinking beer....

Cliff Explains the Buffalo Theory to his mate Norm,

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

So.... this theory proves we are all safe and, in fact, more intelligent through regular consumption of beer!

:beerbang: :super: :chug:
hatchor, well that is two of us on AHB from Orroroo :ph34r:

C&B
TDA

Eh? What are women doing with vodka bottles then?

I haven't seen that show, but that sounds like a pretty tenuous experiment to me. Kind of like leaving a plate of sheep's brains out in the sun for a day to show a link between UV radiation and alzheimers. While I'm not about to doubt that FAS exists or that alcohol is responsible, surely the vodka soaked egg is just fake science.

My $0.02
I think the idea was that human foetuses are made from the same stuff as egg white. I realise the science is dodgy, but if it gets a message to teenage pregnant girls that they shouldn't drink, I won't make a fuss.

A funny thing happen to me when I open this thread.
It directed me to the second page, which would mean I've read it before.
I have absolute no memory of it :p
Time for supper I think and a SUPER Vitamin pill.

MAtti

Relax it's only short term memory loss...

You will get it back in the morning!! :eek:

Latest posts

Back