A Pint A Day Keep's The Doctor Away

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philw

Reaction score
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/is-beer...m-1225989928331
IT turns out a pint a day may keep the doctor away, a study has found.

The Spanish study of 1249 men and women found those who drank moderate amounts of ale and lager reduce their risk of high blood pressure and diabetes.

The subjects who regularly drank beer in moderation also had a lower body fat content.

But Australian experts have criticised the findings, saying alcohol does more harm than good.

Beer contains folic acid, vitamins, calcium and iron which researchers say create a protective effect on the cardiovascular system.

Lead researcher Dr Ramon Estruch said moderate drinking of beer was associated with nutritional benefits.

It does not necessarily mean weight gain since it has no fat and calorie content is low, he said.

A pint of beer contains 200 calories - the same amount as a cafe latte with full cream milk.

The researchers said binge drinking, fatty foods and a lack of exercise was to blame for beer guts.

Melbourne Alcohol Recovery Centre founder Brian Cox condemned the study findings for sending the wrong message.

"I don"t care what tests they do, for me alcohol is like heroin. Once you've had the first drink, it starts off the addiction," he said.

"We've got to look at the big picture. Alcohol is a progressive disease and we don't want to educate people saying booze is good for you when we know its totally not."

Dieticians Association of Australia spokeswoman Melanie McGrice said people should not be encouraged to drink alcohol because it was high in kilojoules.

I know I would rather a Pint instead of a latte

of course "Australian experts" did not like it FFS it is there job to be against everything

"I don"t care what tests they do, for me alcohol is like heroin. Once you've had the first drink, it starts off the addiction," he said.

"We've got to look at the big picture. Alcohol is a progressive disease and we don't want to educate people saying booze is good for you when we know its totally not."

Dieticians Association of Australia spokeswoman Melanie McGrice said people should not be encouraged to drink alcohol because it was high in kilojoules.

:huh:

Well, they are from the Alcohol Recovery clinic so they would be dealing with the bad side of alcohol abuse daily. I love a beer, but my father in law was an alcoholic, and though i didn't have much to do with him, he lived quite a sad and lonely life, and was taken advantage of. He died in his hallway, and nobody knew for a few days. My wife visited him not long before he died, and he was picking cigarette butts out of pub ashtrays, and all he had in his fridge was half a chiko roll. He was once a stable man with a good job, but over a 30 year period slowly, but surely, went downhill. I think this is what they are warning about.

2 minutes on Google and I discovered that the same researcher, Dr. Ramon Estruch of the University of Barcelona, also found that a Mediterranean lifestyle is agreeable!
http://www.smh.com.au/news/nutrition/go-me...1779058168.html

I always LOL at these articles derived from research articles, they're 'free' news for the press, they never contain any real science or the link to the research itself.
I would say living in Barcelona promotes a better life and participants where shown to get laid more often, although a lack of quality Real Ale saw life expectancy drop markedly.

Isn't the oft-quoted "An apple a day keeps the Doctor away" just a Marketing campaign run in recent times? Although Google has a million links about Welsh proverbs and the like, I think it is advertising that makes us think Apples are 'good' for you.

Beer is 'safe drinking water', lives could be being saved.

/meander

correlation1.png

I love beer but I am mindful of not drinking too much.

The Australian standard "safe" level of drinking has recently changed. Previously it was 4 standard drinks a day with one alcohol free day a week, which is 24 units a week, not too bad.

The new "safe" level is now is only 2 units a day and no more than 4 SD's in a session. 14 SD's a week, ouch.

In the UK it is I believe 21 units a week.

Personally I think If you stay fit, eat well and lay off the tim tams then there is nothing wrong with a few beers. If you are an overweight couch jockey who eats rubbish then alcohol will affect you more.

Mind you had an Alpha Queen pale ale last night, could drink 6 of those quite easily.

Dave

I agree Alpha Queen is a fine drop. Regardless of the health factors I would gladly a cubic tankload of those too!

There are whole books printed on how beer is nutritiously good for you (check amazon and you'll see), and some dieticians do recommend some beer intake as part of a balanced diet (but they are few and far between - it's not fashionable to recommend alcohol intake as something the body needs currently).

Stuff I've found that's good about beer:

- Reduces stroke, heart & vascular disease (but this goes out the window when you drink heaps - one source I found was a study on Strokes, from New England Journal of Medicine Nov.1999)
- Beer is shown to have anti-oxidants, in much the same way as wine does, so it has many positive effects.
- Beer made with grain is rich in vitamins (with those made with rice, corn and adjunct not being as rich - apologies to the Jap Beer & Cerveza fans)
- Brewers yeast is high in complex B vitamins (but most of this doesn't survive in commercial beers due to filtering - but drink the whole homebrew, craft beer or Coopers folks, it's good for you :) )

Cheers and here's to guilt-free drinking! :beer:

Hopper.

The Australian standard "safe" level of drinking has recently changed. Previously it was 4 standard drinks a day with one alcohol free day a week, which is 24 units a week, not too bad.

The new "safe" level is now is only 2 units a day and no more than 4 SD's in a session. 14 SD's a week, ouch.

In the UK it is I believe 21 units a week.

I started a thread about this a while back when I could be arsed to do such things. In Japan the recommended level is twice that of Australia. In Denmark and Portugal it is also much higher when calculated by mg of alcohol.

Everyone's different, take responsibility for your own health and don't whinge when you get ill.

Back